Excellent Story On Breakthrough Cases From Wall St Journal

In summary, The Wall St Journal recently published a story on breakthrough cases of COVID-19, stating that the US is seeing very few cases, even with the Delta variant. However, there may be an undercount due to mild or asymptomatic cases. The article also mentions that a third booster shot may be necessary in the future, and that the pandemic is currently mainly affecting the unvaccinated. Vaccination rates in Australia are increasing, with younger individuals surprisingly being the largest group to receive the AZ vaccine.
I get the Audio of the Wall St Journal every day. They had a surprising and excellent story on breakthrough cases. The bottom line is the US is seeing very few - even with Delta. The full story is behind a paywall, but non-subscribers can view some of it here:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-delta-surges-covid-19-breakthrough-cases-remain-uncommon-11629199800

I am apprehensive about Delta. But maybe my worry is somewhat misplaced.

Thanks
Bill

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not sure the headline should be about whether breakthroughs are common or uncommon, especially since the undercount on mildly symptomatic cases or asymptomatic cases may be large. The important point is that hospitalization or severe disease is still prevented with about 90% effectiveness, possibly higher (Israel preliminary estimates ~88-93%., UK estimates with 96% with 91-98% for the 95% confidence limits).

• Love
Likes bhobba
atyy said:
I'm not sure the headline should be about whether breakthroughs are common or uncommon, especially since the undercount on mildly symptomatic cases or asymptomatic cases may be large.
Yes. When I was at my GP clinic Monday getting my AZ second dose, she (my usual doctor was busy) was matter of fact - we all will need third booster shots 6 months or so after the second jab:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021...tions-rise-in-us-as-cdc-to-recommend-boosters

This is fast turning into a pandemic of the unvaccinated. At the moment, things are getting terrible in NSW despite a strong lockdown:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021...tions-rise-in-us-as-cdc-to-recommend-boosters

Vaccination, in AUS, is accelerating quickly - which of course, it should. Surprisingly the largest uptake of the AZ vaccine is amongst the young. It s reassuring they are not being scared by the .5 in a million chance of dying.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is a breakthrough case?

A breakthrough case refers to a situation where a vaccinated individual still contracts an illness or infection that they were vaccinated against. These cases are rare and typically occur due to the vaccine not providing 100% protection or the individual having a compromised immune system.

2. How common are breakthrough cases?

Breakthrough cases are rare and occur in a small percentage of vaccinated individuals. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as of August 2021, only 0.01% of fully vaccinated individuals in the United States have experienced a breakthrough case.

3. What are the symptoms of breakthrough cases?

The symptoms of a breakthrough case can vary depending on the type of illness or infection the individual was vaccinated against. However, in most cases, the symptoms are milder compared to unvaccinated individuals and may include fever, cough, sore throat, and fatigue.

4. Can vaccinated individuals still transmit the virus in a breakthrough case?

While breakthrough cases are rare, it is possible for vaccinated individuals to still transmit the virus to others. This is why it is important for everyone, regardless of vaccination status, to continue following safety measures such as wearing masks and practicing social distancing.

5. Are booster shots necessary to prevent breakthrough cases?

At this time, there is not enough data to determine if booster shots are necessary to prevent breakthrough cases. However, the CDC recommends that immunocompromised individuals receive a third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine to ensure maximum protection. Ongoing studies are being conducted to determine if booster shots will be necessary for the general population in the future.