Exercise counter-image with two variables

In summary: If the last one is ##0## (so ##h = 2##), then the rank would be the same as the rank of the linear application's matrix, and so we could proceed. But what about the ##k## in the other two cases? Should I stick with ##h = 2## and then being forced to put ##k = 0##? Or I have to do it in a different way?If the rank of the matrix is equivalent to a number that would make the rank of the ##(A|\vec v)## equal to the rank of ##A##, then we can find the preimage by putting the number that the parameter is associated with. For example, if ##h = 2
Kernul

Homework Statement

I have this linear application:
##f : \mathbb {R}^4 \rightarrow \mathbb {R}^4##
##f((x, y, z, t)) = (-2x - y + t, 2x + y - t, -4x - 2y + 2t, 0)##
and then I have this vector which I have to find the counter-image of it:
##\vec v = (-k, h - 2, k, h^2 - 4)##
With ##h## and ##k## real parameters that vary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found out that the matrix associated with the linear application had rank ##1##.
So, now, I put the vector in the matrix as a column and we have:
##(A|\vec v) = \begin{pmatrix}
-2 & -1 & 0 & 1 & -k\\
2 & 1 & 0 & -1 & h - 2\\
-4 & -2 & 0 & 2 & k\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & h^2 - 4
\end{pmatrix}##
I know that at this time I have to find the determinants and see what happens. The problem here is that I don't know how it works with two parameters, since I've always done it with just one. Do I have two different counter-image because of this? What does it change from the single parameter exercise?
From what I get, the determinants are ##2x2## so the rank is max ##2##, depending on the parameters. We would have:
##|A'| = h - 2 - k##
##|A''| = -2h + 4 - k##
##|A'''| = 2h^2 - 8##
If the last one is ##0## (so ##h = 2##), then the rank would be the same as the rank of the linear application's matrix, and so we could proceed. But what about the ##k## in the other two cases? Should I stick with ##h = 2## and then being forced to put ##k = 0##? Or I have to do it in a different way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kernul said:

Homework Statement

I have this linear application:
##f : \mathbb {R}^4 \rightarrow \mathbb {R}^4##
##f((x, y, z, t)) = (-2x - y + t, 2x + y - t, -4x - 2y + 2t, 0)##
and then I have this vector which I have to find the counter-image of it:
##\vec v = (-k, h - 2, k, h^2 - 4)##
With ##h## and ##k## real parameters that vary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found out that the matrix associated with the linear application had rank ##1##.
So, now, I put the vector in the matrix as a column and we have:
##(A|\vec v) = \begin{pmatrix}
-2 & -1 & 0 & 1 & -k\\
2 & 1 & 0 & -1 & h - 2\\
-4 & -2 & 0 & 2 & k\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & h^2 - 4
\end{pmatrix}##
I know that at this time I have to find the determinants and see what happens.
Find the determinants? I don't know what you mean by this.
Just row-reduce the matrix above, and you should see what values of h and k must have.
Kernul said:
The problem here is that I don't know how it works with two parameters, since I've always done it with just one. Do I have two different counter-image because of this? What does it change from the single parameter exercise?
From what I get, the determinants are ##2x2## so the rank is max ##2##, depending on the parameters. We would have:
##|A'| = h - 2 - k##
##|A''| = -2h + 4 - k##
##|A'''| = 2h^2 - 8##
I don't know what the equations above represent. What are A', A'', and A'''?
Kernul said:
If the last one is ##0## (so ##h = 2##), then the rank would be the same as the rank of the linear application's matrix, and so we could proceed. But what about the ##k## in the other two cases? Should I stick with ##h = 2## and then being forced to put ##k = 0##? Or I have to do it in a different way?
In my work, I found that it must be true that k = 0 and h = 2. The preimage of f (what you're calling the counterimage) is a three-dimensional subspace of R4.

Mark44 said:
Our professor taught us to find the determinants and then the rank. If the parameter is equivalent to a number that would make the rank of the ##(A|\vec v)## equal to the rank of ##A##, then we have to find the preimage by putting the number that the parameter is associated with.
For example, if ##h = 2## this implies that ##rank(A) = rank (A|\vec v)## and so we put all in a system and start the calculus to find the preimage.

Mark44 said:
These are the three determinants that are different from ##0##.
##A' = \begin{vmatrix}
1 & -k\\
-1 & h - 2
\end{vmatrix}##
##A'' = \begin{vmatrix}
-1 & h - 2\\
2 & k
\end{vmatrix}##
##A''' = \begin{vmatrix}
2 & k\\
0 & h^2 - 4
\end{vmatrix}##

Mark44 said:
Just row-reduce the matrix above, and you should see what values of h and k must have.
Should I row-reduce the matrix always in this kind of exercise?
I would have something like this if I row-reduce:
\begin{pmatrix}
-2 & -1 & 0 & 1 & -k \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & h - 2 - k\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 3k\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & h^2 - 4\\
\end{pmatrix}
And in a system would be:
\begin{cases}
-2x - y + t = -k \\
0 = h - 2 - k \\
0 = 3k \\
0 = h^2 - 4
\end{cases}
\begin{cases}
-2x - y + t = 0 \\
h = 2 \\
k = 0 \\
h = 2
\end{cases}
Is this right?

Mark44 said:

In my work, I found that it must be true that k = 0 and h = 2. The preimage of f (what you're calling the counterimage) is a three-dimensional subspace of R4.

Forget determinants. In fact, why even bother with matrices? You have a simple linear system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns:
$$\begin{array}{rcl}
-2x-y+t&=&-k \\
2x+y-t&=&h-2\\
-4x-2y+2t&=& k\\
0 &=&h^2-4
\end{array}
$$
If ##h = 2## or ##h = -2## you will be left with three equations in the three unknowns ##x,y,t##, which you can just solve using elementary elimination methods faster than you could even write down the matrices. If ##h \neq \pm 2## your ##\vec{v}## cannot "come from" any ##(x,y,z,t)## via ##f(x,y,z,t)##. The variable ##z## does not appear anywhere in your ##f(x,y,z,t)## as you have written it.

Last edited:
I don't understand how to resolve that system. I ended up with something like this:
##\begin{cases}
-h + 2 = -k \\
y = -2x + t + h - 2 \\
-2h + 4 = k \\
h = \pm 2
\end{cases}##
Did I do something wrong?

Ray Vickson said:
If h≠±2h≠±2h \neq \pm 2 your ⃗vv→\vec{v} cannot "come from" any (x,y,z,t)(x,y,z,t)(x,y,z,t) via f(x,y,z,t)f(x,y,z,t)f(x,y,z,t)
I don't understand what you mean by "##\vec v## cannot come from any ##(x, y, z, t)## via ##f(x, y, z, t)##". You mean that it doesn't have a preimage if it's not ##h \neq \pm 2##?

Kernul said:
I don't understand how to resolve that system. I ended up with something like this:
##\begin{cases}
-h + 2 = -k \\
y = -2x + t + h - 2 \\
-2h + 4 = k \\
h = \pm 2
\end{cases}##
Did I do something wrong?I don't understand what you mean by "##\vec v## cannot come from any ##(x, y, z, t)## via ##f(x, y, z, t)##". You mean that it doesn't have a preimage if it's not ##h \neq \pm 2##?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean: the resulting ##\vec{v}## is not in the "range" of ##f(x,y,z,t)##.

Anyway, if ##h = 2## the equations imply that ##k = 0##, and so the resulting pre-image of ##\vec{v}## is ##\{(x,y,z,t): t = 2x+y, x,y,z,\in R \}##. Now look at the other case, ##h = -2##, to see what you get.

Ray Vickson said:
Now look at the other case, h=−2h=−2h = -2, to see what you get.
I would have ##k = 8## and ##k = -4##, which is impossible so it HAS to be ##h = 2##, right?

Kernul said:
I would have ##k = 8## and ##k = -4##, which is impossible so it HAS to be ##h = 2##, right?

Yes, I believe so.

Likes Kernul

1. What is an exercise counter-image with two variables?

An exercise counter-image with two variables is a method used in scientific research to investigate the relationship between two variables. It involves manipulating one variable while keeping the other constant, and then comparing the results to determine how the two variables are related.

2. Why is an exercise counter-image with two variables important in scientific research?

This method allows scientists to isolate the effects of one variable on another, providing more accurate and reliable results. It also helps to identify cause and effect relationships between variables, which is essential in understanding complex phenomena.

3. How is an exercise counter-image with two variables conducted?

The first step is to identify the two variables of interest and determine which one will be manipulated and which one will be kept constant. Then, a control group and an experimental group are created, with the only difference being the manipulated variable. The results of the two groups are then compared to see the effect of the manipulated variable on the other.

4. Can an exercise counter-image with two variables be used in any type of research?

Yes, this method can be used in various fields of scientific research, including psychology, biology, and social sciences. It is particularly useful in experiments where it is not possible or ethical to control all variables but still want to investigate the relationship between two specific variables.

5. What are the limitations of an exercise counter-image with two variables?

One limitation is that it can only determine a correlation between the two variables, not causation. Additionally, if there are other variables that were not controlled, they may influence the results and lead to inaccurate conclusions. It also requires careful planning and execution to ensure the results are valid and reliable.