Exercise on Poisson distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses an experimenter measuring the counting rate from a radioactive source, and the probability of getting a certain number of counts in a minute. The Poisson distribution and its equation are mentioned as a way to calculate the probability, and the standard deviation is suggested as a way to estimate the probabilities.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

An experimenter measures the counting rate from a radioactive source as 10,150 counts in 100 minutes. Without changing any of the conditions, the experimenter counts for one minute. There is a probability of about 15 percent that the number of counts recorded will be fewer than

(A) 50
(B) 70
(C) 90
(D) 100
(E) 110

Homework Equations

Poisson distribution: ##P(\nu) = e^{-\mu}\frac{\mu^{\nu}}{\nu!}##, where ##\mu## is the mean and ##\nu## is the number of events for which the probability is to be calculated, both values taken over a definite interval.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first step is to find the average in 1 minute, and that is 10,150/100 = 101.50.

Now, do I have to figure out the probability for each of 101.5, 100, 99, ... , to figure out the answer, or is there an easy way?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Now, do I have to figure out the probability for each of 101.5, 100, 99, ... , to figure out the answer, or is there an easy way?
You can use the cumulative distribution.
Alternatively, make a rough estimate for the probabilities. What is the standard deviation of the count rate?
There is one correct answer, the others can be ruled out without detailed calculations.

I don't know how to calculate the standard deviation for this Poisson distribution. Could you please help me?

failexam said:
I don't know how to calculate the standard deviation for this Poisson distribution. Could you please help me?

Google 'Poisson distribution'.

1. What is the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution is a discrete probability distribution that is used to model the number of events that occur in a given time period or space when the events are independent and the average rate of occurrence is known.

2. How is the Poisson distribution related to exercise?

The Poisson distribution can be used in exercise and sports science to model the number of times a certain event, such as a goal or injury, occurs during a game or training session. It can also be used to analyze the frequency of certain exercises or movements performed during a workout.

3. What are the assumptions of the Poisson distribution?

The Poisson distribution assumes that the events occur independently of each other, the average rate of occurrence is constant, and the probability of an event occurring is the same for all time intervals or space units.

4. How do you calculate probabilities using the Poisson distribution?

The probability of a certain number of events occurring can be calculated using the Poisson probability mass function, which takes into account the average rate of occurrence and the desired number of events.

5. What are some limitations of using the Poisson distribution in exercise science?

While the Poisson distribution can be a useful tool in exercise science, it may not always accurately represent real-world data due to its assumptions. Additionally, the Poisson distribution is not suitable for modeling events that occur at irregular intervals or events that are dependent on each other.