Existence of surjective linear operator

In summary, the author found a solution to a problem in Hilbert spaces using a theorem about invertible operators.
DavideGenoa
Dear friends, I read that, if ##A## is a bounded linear operator transforming -I think that such a terminology implies that ##A## is surjective because if ##B=A## and ##A## weren't surjective, that would be a counterexample to the theorem; please correct me if I'm wrong- a Banach space ##E## into a Banach space ##E_1##, there is a constant ##\alpha>0## such that, if ##B\in\mathscr{L}(E,E_1)## is a continuous linear operator defined in ##E## and ##\|A-B\|<\alpha##, then ##B## is surjective.
I thought I could use the Banach contraction principle, but I get nothing...
##\infty## thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In other words, you want to prove that there's an open ball around A such that every operator in it is surjective onto ##E_1##.

I too would interpret their choice of words as saying that ##A(E)=E_1## (i.e. A is surjective onto ##E_1##), and probably also that A is injective. I don't think we would say that, for example, the operator on ##\mathbb R^3## that projects onto the z axis "transforms" ##\mathbb R^3## to ##\mathbb R##.

I think I found a solution that works for Hilbert spaces, based on the theorem that says that when ##T## is a bounded linear operator such that ##\|1-T\|<1##, then ##T## is invertible and the inverse is given by the geometric series ##T^{-1}=\sum_{k=1}^\infty T^k##. Unfortunately I don't know much about Banach spaces beyond their definition.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Fredrik said:
I too would interpret their choice of words as saying that ##A(E)=E_1## (i.e. A is surjective onto ##E_1##), and probably also that A is injective. I don't think we would say that, for example, the operator on ##\mathbb R^3## that projects onto the z axis "transforms" ##\mathbb R^3## to ##\mathbb R##.
In other parts of the book, an Italian language translation of A.N. Kolmogorov and S.V. Fomin's Элементы теории функций и функционального анализа, the verb to transform is used even for non-surjective operators, but, here, I wouldn't consider the lemma to be proven as true if ##A## weren't surjective, since ##\forall\alpha>0\quad \|A-A\|<\alpha##. In the case ##A## were bijective, the lemma would be the same as "books.google.com/books?id=cbbCAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA231#v=onepage&q&f=false" , which precedes it by two pages in my book, but that would be quite strange...

Fredrik said:
I think I found a solution that works for Hilbert spaces, based on the theorem that says that when ##T## is a bounded linear operator such that ##\|1-T\|<1##, then ##T## is invertible and the inverse is given by the geometric series ##T^{-1}=\sum_{k=1}^\infty T^k##. Unfortunately I don't know much about Banach spaces beyond their definition.
If ##T:E\to E## is a bounded linear operator mapping a Banach space into itself, an identical theorem also holds for any Banach space, cfr. A.N. Kolmogorov, S.V. Fomin, Introductory real analysis, p. 232. How could it be used to prove the given lemma?
Thank you very much, Fredrik!

Last edited by a moderator:
If A is not injective, I don't know. I interpreted the question as being about an invertible A. This is what I did:

I started by trying to rewrite A-B in some other way, e.g. ##A-B=A(I-A^{-1}B)##. This didn't immediately solve the problem, but I realized that if ##A^{-1}B## is invertible, then ##I=(A^{-1}B)^{-1}A^{-1}B##, and this ensures that B is invertible with inverse ##(A^{-1}B)^{-1}A^{-1}##. So we just need to show that ##A^{-1}B## is invertible.

If ##\|A-B\|<\|A\|## we have
$$\|I-A^{-1}B\|=\|A^{-1}(A-B)\|\leq\|A^{-1}\|\|A-B\|=\frac{1}{\|A\|}\|A-B\|<1.$$ So the choice ##\alpha=\|A\|## gets the job done.

Edit: I made a mistake before, and wrote ##\alpha=1/\|A\|## instead of ##\alpha=\|A\|##. I have edited that above.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

1. What is a surjective linear operator?

A surjective linear operator is a function that maps every element in its domain to a corresponding element in its codomain. In other words, every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain.

2. How is a surjective linear operator different from an injective linear operator?

A surjective linear operator is different from an injective linear operator in that it does not necessarily have a one-to-one mapping between its domain and codomain. This means that multiple elements in the domain can map to the same element in the codomain.

3. What is the significance of the existence of a surjective linear operator?

The existence of a surjective linear operator indicates that there are no "missing" elements in the codomain, as every element has at least one preimage in the domain. This is important in applications such as data compression, where the goal is to have a compact representation of a set of data without losing any information.

4. Can a surjective linear operator be invertible?

No, a surjective linear operator cannot be invertible. In order for a linear operator to be invertible, it must also be injective, which means there is a one-to-one mapping between its domain and codomain. Since a surjective linear operator does not have this property, it cannot be inverted.

5. How can the existence of a surjective linear operator be proven?

The existence of a surjective linear operator can be proven by showing that every element in the codomain has at least one preimage in the domain. This can be done by constructing a function that maps each element in the codomain to a corresponding element in the domain, or by using a proof by contradiction to show that there are no elements in the codomain without a preimage.