Existential problem on Electromagnetism and the combination of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics

Hak
In Feynman's famous Physics book, in a discussion of the generality of Maxwell's equations in the static case, in which he addresses the problem of whether they are an approximation of a deeper mechanism that follows other equations or not, he says:
Strange enough, it happens that the combination of relativity and quantum mechanics, in the present form of these theories, seems to prohibit one from finding an equation that is fundamentally different from the Poisson equation and that does not at the same time lead to some kind of contradiction. Not a simple disagreement with experience, but an internal contradiction.
I was wondering first of all if this was a personal observation of Feynman's, or if it was a known thing that I will find in the future while studying and will somehow be pointed out to me in some Physics course. Then I was wondering if you could understand qualitatively what you are talking about, i.e., how does one theory ensure that there cannot be another different and more precise theory for the phenomena it describes...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hak said:
In Feynman's famous Physics book
Which one?

Vanadium 50 said:
Which one?
"The Feynman Lectures on Physics". Thanks.

Jeez...this is going to be like pulling teeth. We've isolated it down to somewhere in three books.

Where does he say this? Seriously, how would you like to answer a question "Feynman says X...somewhere...explain it to me."

Likes topsquark
Vanadium 50 said:
Where does he say this?
In the last paragraph of section 12-7 (The "underlying unity" of nature) of volume II.

Hak said:
I was wondering first of all if this was a personal observation of Feynman's, or if it was a known thing that I will find in the future while studying and will somehow be pointed out to me in some Physics course.
It is well known that quantum electrodynamics is not mathematically satisfactory. It is seen as an "effective" theory that is a very good approximation to some deeper theory.

Hak said:
Then I was wondering if you could understand qualitatively what you are talking about, i.e., how does one theory ensure that there cannot be another different and more precise theory for the phenomena it describes...
I think this is an overstatement. There can be no "proof" that a more precise theory cannot exist. There are many no-go theorems, but the proofs always depend on some innocent-looking assumption (which may turn out not to be satisfied in the real world). Nobody has yet constructed a mathematically clean quantum field theory in 3+1 dimensions for electrons with non-zero charge. It seems we are attacking the problem from a wrong angle.

WernerQH said:
In the last paragraph of section 12-7 (The "underlying unity" of nature) of volume II.It is well known that quantum electrodynamics is not mathematically satisfactory. It is seen as an "effective" theory that is a very good approximation to some deeper theory.I think this is an overstatement. There can be no "proof" that a more precise theory cannot exist. There are many no-go theorems, but the proofs always depend on some innocent-looking assumption (which may turn out not to be satisfied in the real world). Nobody has yet constructed a mathematically clean quantum field theory in 3+1 dimensions for electrons with non-zero charge. It seems we are attacking the problem from a wrong angle.
Combining Quantum Mechanics and Relativity (especially General Relativity) I think we get to very, very, very complicated things. At this point, given your answer, I think Feynman's point is to be understood like this: people have tried for a long time to build theories that combine them and in all cases Poisson-style equations popped up somewhere, so there's no theory on the horizon that seems to work but doesn't have that kind of structure. What do you think?

Feynman's statement is tautologically true. What does it mean to be "fundamentally different". If it is consistent, one can say, "well, it's different, but not fundamentally different."

The question is really A-level, but it appears from the context that Feynman is commenting that one cannot construct a gauge invariant theory of massive photons. Such a theory would not satisfy the Poisson equation. However, shortly after the lectures, it was shown how to do this by Peter Higgs and others, for which he and Francois Englert won the Nobel Prize.

The inconsistency that is mentioned above is called a "Landau Pole". It does not happen physically, as the unification of electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force happens well before that happens. Further, even if that did not happen, the energy scale is trillions of times larger than all the energy in the visible universe.

Finally, Feynman is not talking about GR.

Likes dextercioby and PeroK
Hak said:
Combining Quantum Mechanics and Relativity (especially General Relativity) I think we get to very, very, very complicated things.
In this context, Feynman is not concerned with gravity. We don't even have a consistent quantum electrodynamics in flat spacetime.

Hak said:
people have tried for a long time to build theories that combine them and in all cases Poisson-style equations popped up somewhere, so there's no theory on the horizon that seems to work but doesn't have that kind of structure.
Such equations emerge under very diverse circumstances, as Feynman demonstrates in that chapter. There's no problem with that. I believe the more "precise" (mathematically well-defined) quantum electrodynamics of the future will produce the same equations, but permit a better understanding of the theory. Feynman is concerned with apparent "internal contradictions" of the theory. Already the classical electron theory had the problem that a point charge would have infinite energy, and for a smeared out charge no consistent description could be found.

Maxwell's theory of the aether (the original electrodynamics) had similar "internal contradictions". The aether had to be solid (allowing transverse waves) and fluid (for vortex lines to form) at the same time. For years, physicists tried to construct mechanical models for such a medium. For Maxwell and his contemporaries it must have been self-evident that light waves cannot propagate without a medium carrying them. And that time is absolute and the same for all observers in the universe. After 1905 Maxwell's equations remained unchanged, but were seen in a new light. I believe there will be a similar change with quantum field theory, after we've jettisoned some "self-evident" metaphysical assumptions on what the theory is about.

Thank you very much.

Likes WernerQH

What is the existential problem in combining electromagnetism with relativity and quantum mechanics?

The existential problem mainly revolves around reconciling the classical theory of electromagnetism, as described by Maxwell's equations, with the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. Electromagnetism is well-described on a macroscopic scale, but integrating it seamlessly with quantum mechanics, which operates at the microscopic level, and with general relativity, which governs the structure of spacetime and gravity, poses significant theoretical challenges.

How does quantum mechanics conflict with classical electromagnetism?

Quantum mechanics introduces the concept of quantization in physical properties at microscopic scales, which includes phenomena like superposition and entanglement. Classical electromagnetism, governed by Maxwell's equations, does not account for these quantum effects. This discrepancy becomes particularly evident when dealing with atomic and subatomic scales, where the effects of quantum mechanics are dominant.

What are the challenges in integrating general relativity with electromagnetism?

General relativity, Einstein's theory of gravity, describes gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by mass and energy. However, Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism are formulated in the framework of flat spacetime. Adapting these equations to curved spacetime is non-trivial and requires modifications to maintain consistency with general relativity, particularly under extreme gravitational conditions.

Has there been any successful theory that unifies quantum mechanics and electromagnetism?

Quantum electrodynamics (QED) is a successful theory that unifies quantum mechanics with electromagnetism. It describes how light and matter interact and is one of the first quantum field theories. QED integrates the quantum mechanical properties with the electromagnetic field, providing a comprehensive framework for understanding interactions involving charged particles and photons at quantum levels.

What is the role of string theory in solving these existential problems?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to address the incompatibilities between quantum mechanics and general relativity, and it also impacts the understanding of electromagnetism. String theory posits that point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional strings. These strings can vibrate at different frequencies, and their vibrations manifest as different particles. This approach holds promise for a unified description of all fundamental forces, including electromagnetism, within a single theoretical framework, potentially solving the existing conflicts between these major theories.