Exothermic reaction in adiabatic reactor

In summary, the problem involves a reaction in an adiabatic reactor with varying volume and constant pressure, involving one mole of gas A, two moles of gas B, and one mole of inert gas I at 25 °C. The reaction is exothermic, causing all products to be heated up to 325 °C, with liquid R boiling at 125 °C. The specific heats of the gases and liquid are given, as well as the latent heat of vaporization for R. Using the equations for net heat and specific heat, the heat of reaction at 25 °C can be calculated. However, a more sophisticated method would be to use heats of formation at 25 °C to determine the heat of reaction
MexChemE

Homework Statement

One mole of gas A, two moles of gas B, and one mole of inert gas I are fed into an adiabatic reactor of variable volume and constant pressure at 25 °C. At this temperature, the reaction yielding liquid R proceeds normally as:
[tex]\textrm{A} (g) + \textrm{B} (g) \rightarrow \textrm{R} (l)[/tex]
However, the reaction is exothermic, and all products are heated up to 325 °C. R boils at 125 °C. Find ΔHReaction for the given reaction.
CP,A(g) = 30 J mol-1 K-1
CP,B(g) = 40 J mol-1 K-1
CP,I(g) = 30 J mol-1 K-1
CP,R(l) = 60 J mol-1 K-1
CP,R(g) = 80 J mol-1 K-1
ΔHR,lg = 10,000 J mol-1

Homework Equations

[tex]Q_{\textrm{net}}=0[/tex]
[tex]Q=nC_P \Delta T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the reactor is adiabatic, all the products are heated with the energy released by the reaction:
[tex]\Delta H_{\textrm{Reaction}} + Q_{\textrm{B}} + Q_{\textrm{I}} + Q_{\textrm{R,l}} + \Delta H_{\textrm{R,lg}} + Q_{\textrm{R,g}} = 0[/tex]
Where Q represents the energy required to heat each substance from 25 to 325 °C, except for R which first heats from 25 to 125 °C, boils, and then heats from 125 to 325 °C.

After calculating and adding all sensible and latent heats I got 53,000 J, as the reactor is adiabatic, the heat released by the reaction was absorbed and distributed among the products, which caused the temperature to rise. Therefore:
[tex]\Delta H_{\textrm{Reaction}} = -53 \ \textrm{kJ}[/tex]
Is there a more sophisticated way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it correct to say that you are trying to determine the heat of reaction at 25 C?

Chet

I guess not. It's actually the heat of reaction happening from 25 °C to 325 °C, right? I guess we could also use Kirchhoff's law because we have the specific heats of reactants and products, but we're missing a heat of reaction to use as our reference point.

MexChemE said:
I guess not. It's actually the heat of reaction happening from 25 °C to 325 °C, right? I guess we could also use Kirchhoff's law because we have the specific heats of reactants and products, but we're missing a heat of reaction to use as our reference point.
Conventionally, heat of reaction is a quantity defined at a specified temperature, with reactants and products at the specified temperature. My understanding is that you are trying to take the results of an experiment in an adiabatic reactor, and back out from these results the heat of reaction at a certain temperature (probably 25C).

Chet

Likes MexChemE
I would do this differently. I would work starting with heats of formation at 25C. It is less prone to errors, and let's the mathematics do all the work for you. Since the pressure is held constant, the change in enthalpy is equal to the heat added. I would get the enthalpy of the mixture in the initial state, and the enthlypy of the mixture in the final state. The differences between the heats of formation at 25 C corresponding to the heat of reaction automatically falls out of this.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I would do this differently. I would work starting with heats of formation at 25C. It is less prone to errors, and let's the mathematics do all the work for you. Since the pressure is held constant, the change in enthalpy is equal to the heat added. I would get the enthalpy of the mixture in the initial state, and the enthlypy of the mixture in the final state. The differences between the heats of formation at 25 C corresponding to the heat of reaction automatically falls out of this.

Chet
Yes, that would seem to be the easiest, and most exact way, although this specific problem didn't provide the heat of formation of products and reactants, nor an enthalpy of reaction at a reference state.

MexChemE said:
Yes, that would seem to be the easiest, and most exact way, although this specific problem didn't provide the heat of formation of products and reactants, nor an enthalpy of reaction at a reference state.
The heats of formation appear algebraicly in the final equation in the exact right combination to allow determination of the heat of reaction. Try it and see.

1. What is an exothermic reaction in an adiabatic reactor?

An exothermic reaction in an adiabatic reactor is a chemical reaction that releases heat energy while taking place in a closed system. This type of reactor does not have any heat exchange with the surrounding environment, so all the heat generated by the reaction is contained within the reactor.

2. How does an adiabatic reactor work?

An adiabatic reactor works by creating and maintaining a closed system where a chemical reaction can take place. The reactants are introduced into the reactor, and as the reaction occurs, heat is generated. Since there is no heat exchange with the environment, the temperature inside the reactor rises, and the reaction continues until all the reactants are consumed.

3. What are the advantages of using an adiabatic reactor?

One of the main advantages of using an adiabatic reactor is its simplicity. It does not require any external heat source or cooling system, making it cost-effective and easy to operate. Additionally, since the reaction takes place in a closed system, there is minimal risk of external contamination or loss of reactants.

4. What factors can affect the performance of an adiabatic reactor?

The performance of an adiabatic reactor can be affected by various factors, including the reaction kinetics, the concentration and temperature of the reactants, and the size and design of the reactor. Any changes in these factors can alter the rate and extent of the reaction, leading to variations in the reactor's performance.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with an adiabatic reactor?

Working with an adiabatic reactor requires proper safety precautions to prevent any accidents or hazards. It is essential to carefully monitor the temperature and pressure inside the reactor and ensure that they do not exceed the maximum limits. Appropriate protective gear should also be worn, and emergency plans should be in place in case of any unexpected incidents.