Bond lengths in Cycloocta - 1,3,6 - triene

• Thread starter baldbrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary: I can't go more in-depth right now!)In summary, the given compound has two double bonds, one of which is shorter than the other.
baldbrain

Homework Statement

Which is the correct statement about the given compound?
(a) Bond length between C2 and C3 = Bond length between C5 and C6
(b) Bond length between C1 and C2 = Bond length between C6 and C7
(c) Bond length between C6 and C7 < Bond length between C3 and C4
(d) Bond length between C2 and C3 < Bond length between C3 and C4

IMG_20170525_135334.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, since I can't predict anything about the inequalities, I think it's (a) as well as (b). But their answer is (c). But I don't understand how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you predict anything about the inequalities? Why do you assume untrue equalities?
What is the difference between the double bond between 6 and 7 and those between 1 and 2, and 3 and 4? What effect would this have on bond lengths?

HPPAS said:

Homework Statement

Which is the correct statement about the given compound?
(a) Bond length between C2 and C3 = Bond length between C5 and C6
(b) Bond length between C1 and C2 = Bond length between C6 and C7
(c) Bond length between C6 and C7 < Bond length between C3 and C4
(d) Bond length between C2 and C3 < Bond length between C3 and C4

View attachment 204214

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, since I can't predict anything about the inequalities, I think it's (a) as well as (b). But their answer is (c). But I don't understand how?
What academic discipline is the source of this question?

In addition to knowing how bond length tends to differ for double bonds compared to single bonds in some qualitative way, it looks like you also need to take symmetry into account.

mjc123 said:
Why can't you predict anything about the inequalities? Why do you assume untrue equalities?
What is the difference between the double bond between 6 and 7 and those between 1 and 2, and 3 and 4? What effect would this have on bond lengths?
That bond is vertical (w.r.t to other double bonds).
So does that mean that there is min. repulsion between C6 & C7 (or min. strain on that bond) and hence that bond is shorter and stronger?

SammyS said:
What academic discipline is the source of this question?
12th.
We've just done the Resonance theory, Hyperconjugation etc. & properties and reactions of benzene, phenol & haloarenes etc.
So I know nothing about cycloalkenes

HPPAS said:
So does that mean that there is min. repulsion between C6 & C7 (or min. strain on that bond) and hence that bond is shorter and stronger?
I don't think that repulsion is the way to go.

My guess is that you have covered π conjugation. There is something from that that you can apply here to get more information about the nature of the different double bonds in the molecule.

HPPAS said:
That bond is vertical (w.r.t to other double bonds).
That the bond is depicted as being vertical is not relevant.

Look at the two bonds in each direction from the bond of interest. Then answer:
mjc123 said:

SammyS said:
Look at the two bonds in each direction from the bond of interest.

The p orbitals of C6 & C7 are the most conjugated, seeing the geometry of the molecule?

Sorry I have time to post recently. So, as I said, are the p orbitals of C6 & C7 most conjugated?

What would they be conjugated with?

Hey everybody, sorry there wasn't any activity on this for quite long. I think that the extra ring strain caused due to the double bonds is the reason for unequal π bond lengths.

HPPAS said:
That didn't give me a clue. Of course, they affect bond lengths. But I couldn't predict anything.
Then start by drawing the p orbitals. What π bonds are conjugated?

I got it. I looked up the compound's PubChem CID and looked at it's 3D conformer in different ways (Interact button). If we look fron the appropriate point of view, not only is C6=C7<C3=C4 but the C1=C2 bond length is equal to C3=C4 bond length.

DrClaude said:
Then start by drawing the p orbitals. What π bonds are conjugated?
C1=C2 & C3=C4.

baldbrain said:
the C1=C2 bond length is equal to C3=C4 bond length.
That you can figure out quickly by symmetry.

baldbrain said:
C1=C2 & C3=C4.
Yes. Since these bonds are conjugated, how does it affect bond length? (Hint: think effective bond order.)

Oh, I get it. The conjugated bonds have only partial double bond character while the C6=C7 has complete double bond character.
Hence, effective bond order greater, stronger and shorter is the bond.

baldbrain said:
Oh, I get it. The conjugated bonds have only partial double bond character while the C6=C7 has complete double bond character.
Hence, effective bond order greater, stronger and shorter is the bond.
Correct.

DrClaude said:
Correct.
Thanks.

What is the general structure of Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene?

Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene is a cyclic hydrocarbon with eight carbon atoms arranged in a ring. The double bonds are located at the 1,3, and 6 positions, giving it the molecular formula C8H8.

Why is there a variation in the bond lengths in Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene?

The variation in bond lengths is due to the delocalization of electrons within the molecule. This leads to a phenomenon known as resonance, where the electrons are spread out over multiple bonds rather than being localized between two atoms. This results in shorter and longer bonds within the molecule.

What factors affect the bond lengths in Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene?

The main factors that affect bond lengths in Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene are the number and position of double bonds, as well as the presence of any substituents on the ring. The more double bonds present, the shorter the bond lengths will be due to increased delocalization of electrons. Substituents can also affect the bond lengths by introducing steric hindrance or electronic effects.

How can bond lengths in Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene be measured experimentally?

One method for measuring bond lengths in Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene is by using X-ray crystallography. This technique involves analyzing the diffraction patterns of X-rays passed through a crystal of the molecule. The distances between atoms can then be calculated, giving information about the bond lengths. Other methods such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy can also be used to indirectly measure bond lengths.

How do variations in bond lengths affect the properties of Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene?

The variations in bond lengths in Cycloocta-1,3,6-triene can affect its reactivity and stability. Shorter bonds tend to be stronger and more stable, while longer bonds are more reactive. This can also impact other properties such as molecular shape, dipole moment, and bond angles. The delocalization of electrons can also impact the molecule's overall electronic structure and behavior in chemical reactions.