Expanding Integrand into Power Function

In summary, the homework statement is to find the power series representation for the log term of a dilogarithmic function. The first two terms are easy to solve, but the problem becomes more complicated after that. The student tries to solve the problem using Feynman integration, but ends up getting stuck at the singularity at t=0.
soothsayer

Homework Statement

The dilogarithm Li2(x) is a special function defined by the following integral
gif.latex?Li_2(x)\equiv%20-\int_{0}^{1}\frac{ln(1-xt)}{t}dt.gif

Expand the integrand in a power series and integrate term by term, thereby deriving the power series expansion for Li2 about x=0

Homework Equations

f(x)= f(0) + xf'(0) + (x2/2)f''(0) + (x3/3!)f'''(0)
formula for Maclaurin series.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, as far as I can discern, I take the integrand of the dilogarithmic function, and treat it as a function itself by expanding it into the Taylor power series around x=0 (Maclaurin series). This means that I will be differentiating with respect to t, correct? Since I will later have to integrate term-by-term over t, so I treat the integrand as a function of t. The first two terms are pretty simple, but I have trouble getting past that. Here's what I have so far:
f(0) = ln(1-0*t)/t = ln(1) = 0
f'(t) =
gif.latex?\frac{(\frac{t}{1-xt})-ln(1-xt))}{t^2}.gif

f'(0) = 1/(1-t)

I can't differentiate past this. Actually, I tried and came up with 1/2(1-t) which was nice because it followed a pattern, but when I integrated term by term, I ended up with natural logs of 0 which totally ruined the calculations.

I'm also not sure I understand the concept of expanding this sort of function into Taylor Series, the original function is of x, but the integral is over dt, do I expand using t as the variable or x? I know I'm suppose to approximate the function at x=0. Any insight on this problem would be great! I feel like I'm probably just differentiating poorly.

Attachments

• gif.latex?Li_2(x)\equiv%20-\int_{0}^{1}\frac{ln(1-xt)}{t}dt.gif
    gif.latex?Li_2(x)\equiv%20-\int_{0}^{1}\frac{ln(1-xt)}{t}dt.gif
    976 bytes · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a much easier way to find the power series representation for the log term. Try using
[tex]
\ln(1-u) = \int \frac{-1}{1-u} \, dt
[/tex]

and then expanding [itex]\frac{1}{1-u} [/itex] as a geometric series.

In this definition, t is a dummy variable--it disappears once you perform the integration. However, the integrand is a function of both x and t, so inside the integral you need to expand in both x and t. (I.e., set u = xt).

Why not start with figuring out ln(1-xt) in something of t and divide it :)

spamiam said:
There's a much easier way to find the power series representation for the log term. Try using
[tex]
\ln(1-u) = \int \frac{-1}{1-u} \, dt
[/tex]

and then expanding [itex]\frac{1}{1-u} [/itex] as a geometric series.

In this definition, t is a dummy variable--it disappears once you perform the integration. However, the integrand is a function of both x and t, so inside the integral you need to expand in both x and t. (I.e., set u = xt).

The integral ends up being [tex]\int_0^1 \frac {(x/2+x^2/3+x^3/4+x^4/5+...)}{t}dt But still the t terms would be integrated to give ln(t), but ln(t) actually has a singularity or infinite discontinuity at t=0.

Ah okay, perhaps this is more subtle than I first thought. I did a little "Feynman integration" to solve the problem. That is, I first calculated the Taylor series for the derivative ##\text{Li}_2'(x)## by exchanging the integral and derivative operators
$$
\text{Li}_2'(x) = - \frac{d}{dx} \int_0^1 \frac{\log(1 - xt)}{t} \, dt = - \int_0^1 \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{\log(1 - xt)}{t} \, dt
$$
which is hopefully justified by the dominated convergence theorem. That should eliminate the problem with log(t) you pointed out, HACR. Then you can easily integrate that series to obtain the Taylor series for ##\text{Li}_2(x)##. Thanks for pointing out my mistake!

Right you used the leibnitz rule. Anytime.

Related to Expanding Integrand into Power Function

1. What is "Expanding Integrand into Power Function"?

"Expanding Integrand into Power Function" is a mathematical technique used to simplify complicated integrals by replacing the integrand with a simpler form, usually a power function.

2. Why is it useful to expand the integrand into a power function?

Expanding the integrand into a power function can make it easier to evaluate integrals, especially those that involve complicated functions or trigonometric expressions.

3. How do you expand an integrand into a power function?

To expand an integrand into a power function, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These methods can help simplify the integrand and make it easier to integrate.

4. Can "Expanding Integrand into Power Function" be used for all integrals?

No, not all integrals can be expanded into a power function. This technique is most commonly used for integrals involving polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using "Expanding Integrand into Power Function"?

One potential drawback is that the expanded power function may not fully represent the original integrand, leading to a loss of precision in the integration. It is important to check the accuracy of the result after expanding the integrand.