Expansion of the Universe -- By what factor will the distance between remote galaxies increase in the future?

In summary: In my textbook, a large section of the universe is modeled as a sphere.See the rules for homework:Reproduce the problem statement accurately.Type the problem statement exactly as worded. If you're only asking about one part of a long problem it may not be necessary to type up the entire problem, but you need to ensure you've provided the proper context for the sub-problem. If you paraphrase or summarize, make sure you're not changing the meaning or omitting important information. It's very frustrating trying to help with a problem only to discover that critical information is missing.
jjson775
Homework Statement
The average density of the universe is 1.2 pc. How many times larger will the universe become before it begins to collapse? That is, by what factor will the distance between remote galaxies increase in the future?
Relevant Equations
See below
1610921423328.png

Attachments

• 9A533EBE-35BC-47E5-9DE9-F8838732F6F6.jpeg
    9A533EBE-35BC-47E5-9DE9-F8838732F6F6.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 87
Physics news on Phys.org
According to our current cosmological model, the Lambda-CDM model which fits the data quite well, the universe will never "begin to collapse" It will continue expanding forever.

jjson775 said:
By what factor will the distance between remote galaxies increase in the future?
Google is your friend. You should learn how to use it.
What is the rate at which the universe is expanding?
82.4 kilometers per second per megaparsec

Neither one of these replies help me with the problem as stated. I need to find R in terms of p(rho) sub c.

jjson775 said:
Neither one of these replies help me with the problem as stated. I need to find R in terms of p(rho) sub c.
You asked by how much the will expand before it begins to collapse. It will never begin to collapse. Then you asked by what factor the universe will expand in the future, but you didn't specify when in the future. So the problem is unanswerable as stated.

jjson775 said:
Homework Statement:: The average density of the universe is 1.2 pc. How many times larger will the universe become before it begins to collapse? That is, by what factor will the distance between remote galaxies increase in the future?
Relevant Equations:: See below

View attachment 276402
What version of the Friedmann equation are you working with here?

phyzguy said:
According to our current cosmological model, the Lambda-CDM model which fits the data quite well, the universe will never "begin to collapse" It will continue expanding forever.
The problem statement specifies a density greater than the critical density.

Likes PeroK
phyzguy said:
You asked by how much the will expand before it begins to collapse. It will never begin to collapse. Then you asked by what factor the universe will expand in the future, but you didn't specify when in the future. So the problem is unanswerable as stated.
He ALSO didn't specify how far away he is talking about, which matters since the expansion "factor", as I envision him to be thinking of it, depends on distance as well as how far into the future. I don' t think he understands the answer in post #3.

haruspex said:
The problem statement specifies a density greater than the critical density.
Ah. I missed that point. Well then, does that make it a well posed problem?

phyzguy said:
Ah. I missed that point. Well then, does that make it a well posed problem?
I think we need to see the specific Friedmann equation under consideration.

Rc = critical radius where kinetic energy of escaping galaxy = 0. Can be calculated from critical density formula given above.
Ro = radius where density = 1.2. I think what I am looking for is Rc/Ro.
The answer in the book is 6.00.

jjson775 said:
Rc = critical radius where kinetic energy of escaping galaxy = 0. Can be calculated from critical density formula given above.
Ro = radius where density = 1.2. I think what I am looking for is Rc/Ro.
The answer in the book is 6.00.
See the rules for homework:
  • Reproduce the problem statement accurately.
    Type the problem statement exactly as worded. If you're only asking about one part of a long problem it may not be necessary to type up the entire problem, but you need to ensure you've provided the proper context for the sub-problem. If you paraphrase or summarize, make sure you're not changing the meaning or omitting important information. It's very frustrating trying to help with a problem only to discover that critical information is missing.
  • Show us that you've thought about the problem.

Can you say that you've followed either of those guidelines? At best we have a hint of what the problem might be.

jjson775 said:
kinetic energy of escaping galaxy
"escaping" from what ? Kinetic energy relative to what ?

I think you are confusing recession velocity with proper motion since "escaping" and "kinetic energy" both imply proper motion.

PeroK said:
See the rules for homework:
  • Reproduce the problem statement accurately.
    Type the problem statement exactly as worded. If you're only asking about one part of a long problem it may not be necessary to type up the entire problem, but you need to ensure you've provided the proper context for the sub-problem. If you paraphrase or summarize, make sure you're not changing the meaning or omitting important information. It's very frustrating trying to help with a problem only to discover that critical information is missing.
  • Show us that you've thought about the problem.

Can you say that you've followed either of those guidelines? At best we have a hint of what the problem might be.
Yes and yes

• Sad
Likes PeroK
phinds said:
"escaping" from what ? Kinetic energy relative to what ?

I think you are confusing recession velocity with proper motion since "escaping" and "kinetic energy" both imply proper motion.
In my textbook, a large section of the universe is modeled as a sphere. The critical density is derived from the Hubble parameter H and the universal gravitational constant G. See formula above. The derivation considers a galaxy of mass m moving away from the center of the sphere. The kinetic energy of the galaxy is then equated to the potential gravitational energy.

1. How do we know that the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed that the light from distant galaxies is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, known as redshift. This indicates that the galaxies are moving away from us, and the further the galaxy is, the greater the redshift. This is evidence that the universe is expanding.

2. What is the expansion rate of the universe?

The current expansion rate of the universe is known as the Hubble constant and is estimated to be 73.3 kilometers per second per megaparsec. This means that for every megaparsec (3.26 million light years) of distance, galaxies are moving away from each other at a rate of 73.3 kilometers per second.

3. Will the expansion of the universe continue forever?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue forever. This is because the expansion is driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the expansion to accelerate. As long as dark energy continues to exist, the expansion will continue.

4. How much will the distance between galaxies increase in the future?

The distance between galaxies is expected to increase by a factor of around 2-3 over the next few billion years. This means that a galaxy that is currently 1 megaparsec away will be around 2-3 megaparsecs away in the future. However, as the expansion rate is accelerating, it is difficult to predict how much the distance will increase in the distant future.

5. Will the expansion of the universe affect our solar system?

The expansion of the universe is happening on a much larger scale than our solar system, so the effects on our solar system are minimal. However, the expansion is causing galaxies to move further apart, which means that in the distant future, our galaxy may no longer be able to interact with other galaxies. This could potentially have an impact on the formation of new stars and the evolution of our galaxy.