Homework - Interparticle distance between galaxies

In summary: Question 2) It seems to be related to the problematic above.Yes, what you say makes sense. It would be interesting to explore this in more detail.Question 3): How can I infer an estimation of inter galaxy distance from expressions into question 1 and question 2 above ?There is no explicit answer in the questions, but it sounds like you are asking about the technique of power law correlation or something along those lines. If you know about this, you could try to find a relevant article or tutorial on the subject.Question 4): I didn't see the expression of the total number neighbours of a galaxy : anyone could give me help about the expression to apply in this case ?There is
fab13

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have the following questions as homeworks and I would like to get help.

Question 1) Give the formal expression of the total number density of galaxies. Why is this expressoin problematic in practice?

Question 2) In practice one uses a numerical value for the number density of galaxies and for their typical luminosity. Explain why and how.

Question 3) Using the above typical values, infer an estimation of ##l_{g}## ,
the inter galaxy distance.

Question 4) Using a powerlaw correlation function, give the formal expression of the total number neighbours of a galaxy.

Question 5) Infer the distance of the inter galaxy distance

Question 6) From the number of neigbours infer the density contrast it represents

Homework Equations

: equations concerned are not provided into this homework[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1) I saw from my research different expressions for the total density of galaxies (as a function of Luminosity or Mass), but which one could correspond to this question 1 ? What is this formal expression ?

Then, why this total density is problematic ?

Question 2) It seems to be related to the problematic above.

Can I use, for a sample of galaxies ##S##, with ##L## luminosity :

##\Phi_{s}(L) = \dfrac{n_{s}(L)}{V_{s}(L)}## which is the number of galaxies in S per unit luminosity ?

? If yes, why have I got to use ##\Phi_{s}(L)## compared to formula in question 1 ?

Question 3): How can I infer an estimation of inter galaxy distance from expressions into question 1 and question 2 above ?

Question 4): I didn't see the expression of the total number neighbours of a galaxy : anyone could give me help about the expression to apply in this case ?

Question 5): If I knew the formula of question 4, I could compute the average distance between two galaxies

Question 5): I must estimate the number of neighbours of main galaxy up to a distance ##r##and so estimate the density contrast that represents.
I don't see how to estimate this density contrast since I have not the expression asked on question 5.
Sorry if the answers are simple but I am a beginner in galactic and extra-galactic matters.

Even short answers or suggestions could help me to solve these different questions.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
fab13 said:
Question 1) I saw from my research different expressions for the total density of galaxies (as a function of Luminosity or Mass), but which one could correspond to this question 1 ? What is this formal expression ?
I am only guessing here, but what you find online will mostly be concerned with estimating the value from observations, whereas "formal expression" sounds like they are asking for a definition.
How would you define the term?

@haruspex

I wonder if the expression of this "total density of galaxies" has to imply luminosity distribution or mass distribution. But the clue is that expression has to be problematic from a physical point of view (from what is said in homework).

So if someone could give me indications to find the appropriate relation of "total density of galaxies". Regards

1. What is the interparticle distance between galaxies?

The interparticle distance between galaxies refers to the average distance between the centers of two neighboring galaxies. It is typically measured in units of megaparsecs (Mpc).

2. Why is the interparticle distance between galaxies important?

The interparticle distance between galaxies is important because it can provide insight into the structure and distribution of galaxies in the universe. It also plays a role in understanding the formation and evolution of galaxies.

3. How is the interparticle distance between galaxies calculated?

The interparticle distance between galaxies is calculated using astronomical observations and data, such as the redshift of galaxies and their angular separation in the sky. This data is then used to determine the distance between galaxies using mathematical equations and models.

4. What is the typical interparticle distance between galaxies?

The typical interparticle distance between galaxies varies depending on the region of the universe being observed. On average, it is estimated to be around 10-20 Mpc, but can range from a few Mpc to hundreds of Mpc.

5. How does the interparticle distance between galaxies change over time?

The interparticle distance between galaxies can change over time due to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the distance between galaxies increases. This is known as the Hubble flow and is described by Hubble's law.