Expectation value in momentum space

In summary, Dan proved that if φ(p) is any operator, then <p>= ∫φ(p)*pφ(p)dp and <p²>=∫φ(p)*p²φ(p)dp.
VVS2000
Homework Statement
The problem was to show that given φ(p), and wave function Ψ(r), prove that <p>= ∫φ(p)*pφ(p)dp and <p²>=∫φ(p)*p²φ(p)dp
Relevant Equations
Ψ(r)=1/2πℏ ∫ φ(p)exp(ipr/ℏ)dp
<p>=∫Ψ(r)*pΨ(r)dr
so from Fourier transform we know that
Ψ(r)=1/2πℏ∫φ(p)exp(ipr/ℏ)dp
I proved that <p>= ∫φ(p)*pφ(p)dp from <p>=∫Ψ(r)*pΨ(r)dr
so will the same hold any operator??

Physics news on Phys.org
VVS2000 said:
Homework Statement:: The problem was to show that given φ(p), and wave function Ψ(r), prove that <p>= ∫φ(p)*pφ(p)dp and <p²>=∫φ(p)*p²φ(p)dp
Relevant Equations:: Ψ(r)=1/2πℏ ∫ φ(p)exp(ipr/ℏ)dp
<p>=∫Ψ(r)*pΨ(r)dr

so from Fourier transform we know that
Ψ(r)=1/2πℏ∫φ(p)exp(ipr/ℏ)dp
I proved that <p>= ∫φ(p)*pφ(p)dp from <p>=∫Ψ(r)*pΨ(r)dr
so will the same hold any operator??
Without seeing your work I can't really say if what you did would hold. But, yes, we can do this with any operator O(p). The usual method involves noting that ##e^{\pm ipr/ \hbar}## commutes with p. Any operator O(p) will commute with the exponentials, so just put that into your proof instead of p. (You may need to prove that you can do this. Think of how you prove that the exponential operator ##e^{\pm ipr/ \hbar}## commutes with p.)

-Dan

Likes VVS2000
topsquark said:
Without seeing your work I can't really say if what you did would hold. But, yes, we can do this with any operator O(p). The usual method involves noting that ##e^{\pm ipr/ \hbar}## commutes with p. Any operator O(p) will commute with the exponentials, so just put that into your proof instead of p. (You may need to prove that you can do this. Think of how you prove that the exponential operator ##e^{\pm ipr/ \hbar}## commutes with p.)

-Dan
yeah, thing is I am still learning Latex to use it to type equations here, so It would be difficult to get in the whole proof. I tried uploading the pic of my work but there was some issue
yeah I think will try to prove why O(p) will commute

VVS2000 said:
yeah, thing is I am still learning Latex to use it to type equations here, so It would be difficult to get in the whole proof. I tried uploading the pic of my work but there was some issue
yeah I think will try to prove why O(p) will commute
Hint: Think Maclaurin series.

-Dan

Likes VVS2000

1. What is the expectation value in momentum space?

The expectation value in momentum space is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the average value of a physical quantity, such as momentum, in a given system. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the wavefunction and the momentum operator.

2. How is the expectation value in momentum space different from the expectation value in position space?

The expectation value in momentum space is based on the momentum operator, while the expectation value in position space is based on the position operator. This means that the former describes the average momentum of a system, while the latter describes the average position.

3. Can the expectation value in momentum space be negative?

Yes, the expectation value in momentum space can be negative. This is because the momentum operator can have negative eigenvalues, which can result in a negative expectation value.

4. How is the expectation value in momentum space related to uncertainty principle?

The expectation value in momentum space is related to the uncertainty principle in that it provides information about the spread or uncertainty of a particle's momentum. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the momentum is known, the less precisely the position can be known, and vice versa.

5. How is the expectation value in momentum space measured experimentally?

The expectation value in momentum space can be measured experimentally by performing a series of measurements on a large number of identical systems and then taking the average of the measured values. This can be done using various techniques such as scattering experiments or particle detectors.