What are the expectation values for position and momentum in states Ψ0 and Ψ1?

In summary, the expectation values for position and momentum for states Ψ0 and Ψ1 are both zero. This is due to the product of an odd and an even function in the integrals, resulting in integrals of an odd function which gives zero. This may seem incorrect, but it is in fact correct.
Somali_Physicist
Homework Statement
Look Below Picture
Relevant Equations
Look in Picture
Capture.PNG

For question 2.2:

0|p|Ψ0> = ∫Ψ0 -iħ d/dx(Ψ0) =M

Using Integration by parts i get:

M = -Ψ0 iħ d/dx(Ψ0) (assuming hilbert space)

Implying the expectation values for momentum are zero , however i get all the expectation values are zero for x and momentum in both states which makes no sense :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Somali_Physicist said:
Homework Statement: Look Below Picture
Homework Equations: Look in Picture

View attachment 248596

For question 2.2:

0|p|Ψ0> = ∫Ψ0 -iħ d/dx(Ψ0) =M

Using Integration by parts i get:

M = -Ψ0 iħ d/dx(Ψ0) (assuming hilbert space)

Implying the expectation values for momentum are zero , however i get all the expectation values are zero for x and momentum in both states which makes no sense :(
I don't know whether that's correct for this question, as I haven't checked; but, why do you think it makes no sense?

PeroK said:
I don't know whether that's correct for this question, as I haven't checked; but, why do you think it makes no sense?
Because everything being zero normally means I am wrong.

Likes PeroK
I worked out 2.2 abit and also I got that the expectation values for position and momentum for state ##\psi_0## are zero. And I think the same hold for state ##\psi_1##. It is because we always get a product of an odd and an even function in the integrals (since ##\psi_0## is even, ##\psi_0'## is odd ,##\psi_0''## is even and x is odd). So at the very end we get integrals of an odd function which gives zero.

Likes Somali_Physicist and PeroK

1. What is an expectation value in science?

An expectation value in science is a measure of the average or expected outcome of a particular experiment or observation. It is calculated by multiplying the possible outcomes by their respective probabilities and summing them together.

2. How is an expectation value calculated?

An expectation value is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability, and then adding all of these products together. Mathematically, it can be represented as E(x) = ∑(x * P(x)), where x is the possible outcome and P(x) is its probability.

3. What is the significance of an expectation value in scientific research?

An expectation value is important in scientific research because it provides a quantitative measure of the most likely outcome of an experiment or observation. This can help researchers make predictions and draw conclusions from their data.

4. Can an expectation value be negative?

Yes, an expectation value can be negative. This means that the average outcome of an experiment or observation is less than zero, which may have implications for the interpretation of the results.

5. How is an expectation value used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, an expectation value is used to represent the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, in a quantum state. It is calculated using the wave function for the system and is a key concept in understanding the behavior of quantum particles.