Expected bounds of a continuous bi-variate distribution

But alas, it's what my university uses.In summary, the problem asks to find the expected limits of ##Y_1-Y_2##, but the term "expected limits" is not a standard statistical concept and may be used in its everyday meaning. Without further clarification, the question is too vague to be of much use.
transmini

Homework Statement

[/B]
##-1\leq\alpha\leq 1##

##f(y_1,y_2)=[1-\alpha\{(1-2e^{-y_1})(1-2e^{-y_2})\}]e^{-y_1-y_2}, 0\leq y_1, 0\leq y_2##
and ##0## otherwise.

Find ##V(Y_1-Y_2)##. Within what limits would you expect ##Y_1-Y_2## to fall?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I understand how to go about getting the variance of this distribution. That's not a problem. What I don't understand is finding the expected limits of ##Y_1-Y_2##. The book has the solution as ##\mu_{Y_1-Y_2} \pm 2*\sigma_{Y_1-Y_2}##. I can't find anything about this in my book with what's been covered thus far in this course or the last course. 2 standard deviations just seems rather arbitrary in this case. Is there a reasoning for 2 standard deviations? Possibly because the marginal distribution functions are exponential distributions, or because there's some convention to use 2 instead of say 1 or 3?

Note: This may actually be covered in the future weeks, as this book likes to use material from future sections in questions of previous sections. For example, in this question, the solutions in the back use the covariance to find the variance of ##Y_1-Y_2##, whereas covariance isn't introduced until the next section.

Physics news on Phys.org
transmini said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
##-1\leq\alpha\leq 1##

##f(y_1,y_2)=[1-\alpha\{(1-2e^{-y_1})(1-2e^{-y_2})\}]e^{-y_1-y_2}, 0\leq y_1, 0\leq y_2##
and ##0## otherwise.

Find ##V(Y_1-Y_2)##. Within what limits would you expect ##Y_1-Y_2## to fall?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I understand how to go about getting the variance of this distribution. That's not a problem. What I don't understand is finding the expected limits of ##Y_1-Y_2##. The book has the solution as ##\mu_{Y_1-Y_2} \pm 2*\sigma_{Y_1-Y_2}##. I can't find anything about this in my book with what's been covered thus far in this course or the last course. 2 standard deviations just seems rather arbitrary in this case. Is there a reasoning for 2 standard deviations? Possibly because the marginal distribution functions are exponential distributions, or because there's some convention to use 2 instead of say 1 or 3?

Note: This may actually be covered in the future weeks, as this book likes to use material from future sections in questions of previous sections. For example, in this question, the solutions in the back use the covariance to find the variance of ##Y_1-Y_2##, whereas covariance isn't introduced until the next section.

Is this question copied exactly as it was given to you? The problem is that the notion of "expected limits" is not a standard statistical concept. It may be that the word "expected" is being used in this case in its ordinary, everyday meaning, rather than in its technical statistical/probabilistic sense. If so, the whole thing is too vague to be of much use. If it wants you to find an interval ##(a,b)## such that ##P(a < Y_1 - Y_2 < b) \geq p_0## for some specified numerical value ##p_0##, it should just say that.

Ray Vickson said:
Is this question copied exactly as it was given to you? The problem is that the notion of "expected limits" is not a standard statistical concept. It may be that the word "expected" is being used in this case in its ordinary, everyday meaning, rather than in its technical statistical/probabilistic sense. If so, the whole thing is too vague to be of much use. If it wants you to find an interval ##(a,b)## such that ##P(a < Y_1 - Y_2 < b) \geq p_0## for some specified numerical value ##p_0##, it should just say that.

Yeah, this is exactly as it was given, word for word. There are 2 or 3 parts before this, but they were all problems of the "find this expected value" or "find this variance" type. So they shouldn't be relevant. In my own opinion, I don't think this text is all that great because they frequently require future material or give vague questions like this.

1. What is a continuous bi-variate distribution?

A continuous bi-variate distribution is a probability distribution that describes the relationship between two continuous variables. This type of distribution is often used in statistical analysis to model the joint behavior of two variables, such as height and weight, or temperature and humidity.

2. How is a continuous bi-variate distribution different from a univariate distribution?

A univariate distribution describes the probability distribution of a single variable, while a continuous bi-variate distribution describes the joint probability distribution of two variables. This means that a continuous bi-variate distribution takes into account the relationship between the two variables, rather than just their individual probabilities.

3. What are expected bounds in a continuous bi-variate distribution?

Expected bounds in a continuous bi-variate distribution refer to the range of values that the two variables can take on, while still being within the specified probability distribution. These bounds are determined by the parameters of the distribution, such as the mean and standard deviation.

4. How are expected bounds calculated in a continuous bi-variate distribution?

Expected bounds in a continuous bi-variate distribution are typically calculated using mathematical formulas, such as the covariance matrix and the correlation coefficient. These calculations take into account the parameters of the distribution, as well as the relationship between the two variables.

5. How are continuous bi-variate distributions used in scientific research?

Continuous bi-variate distributions are commonly used in scientific research to model and analyze data that involves two continuous variables. This can include studies in fields such as biology, economics, and psychology, where understanding the relationship between two variables is important for making predictions and drawing conclusions.