Expected value of a lottery ticket

In summary, the individual probabilities of a winning combination being shared by 1, 2, 3, ... , n tickets must be accounted for when calculating the expected value of a lottery ticket, but the jackpot value can be inflated if this adjustment is not made.
elementbrdr
I am going to try to keep this short, so please advise whether I need to provide more detail for my question to make sense.

In calculating the expected value of a lottery ticket, one must consider the possibility that more than one ticket is sold bearing the winning combination. One way to account for this is to calculate the individual probabilities of a winning combination being shared by 1, 2, 3, ... , n tickets. E.g. the method used in the following link: http://dematerialism.net/expval.htm.

I was wondering whether it is also possible to account for multiple winners using the following method: V = (1/c * j) / (t/c)
t = tickets sold
j = jackpot value
c = combinations of tickets (not really a variable, but using it as such for readability)

Green reflects odds of winning times jackpot. Red reflects that this expected value should be divided by the mean number of tickets with the same combination of numbers (the mean number of people with whom any winner should expect to share a prize).

I recognize that this would inflate the value of the jackpot for t/c<1. However this could be accounted for by defining a formula that omits division by t/c when t/c<1.

However, the fact that this adjustment is required makes me nervous about the overall reasonableness of this approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you realize your formula is just j/t? Which is the expected value of the lottery assuming exactly one person wins it.

In general, if X and Y are random variables, E(XY) is NOT equal to E(X)E(Y) so you can't just split up multiplications

Thanks for your response. I did not notice that the formula could be simplified before posting. Thanks for the clarification.

After further work on this problem, I have learned that one of my key assumptions -- that combinations on tickets are uniformly distributed -- is false. So the entire formula is clearly incorrect.

At this point I'm just trying to figure out whether the overall approach of dividing by the correct value for the mean number of winning tickets with the same combination of numbers works.

I wasn't able to put your statement regarding multiplication of expected values in context. Sorry. Could you explain more specifically to how that relates to what I'm trying to do?

Thank you.

1. What is the expected value of a lottery ticket?

The expected value of a lottery ticket is the theoretical amount of money that a player can expect to win or lose on average per ticket purchased. It is calculated by multiplying the probability of each possible outcome by its respective payout or loss, and then summing up all of these values.

2. How is the expected value of a lottery ticket calculated?

The expected value of a lottery ticket is calculated by multiplying the probability of each outcome by its respective payoff or loss. These values are then summed up to determine the overall expected value.

3. Is the expected value of a lottery ticket always positive?

No, the expected value of a lottery ticket can be positive, negative, or zero. A positive expected value indicates that, on average, a player can expect to win money by purchasing the ticket. A negative expected value means that, on average, a player can expect to lose money, while a zero expected value means that the cost of the ticket is equal to the expected payoff.

4. How does the expected value of a lottery ticket affect the likelihood of winning?

The expected value of a lottery ticket does not affect the likelihood of winning. It is simply a measure of the average outcome over a large number of trials. A ticket with a higher expected value does not necessarily have a higher chance of winning compared to a ticket with a lower expected value.

5. Can the expected value of a lottery ticket be used to predict the outcome of a single ticket purchase?

No, the expected value of a lottery ticket is based on probabilities and does not predict the outcome of a single ticket purchase. It is a useful tool for understanding the overall value of a particular lottery game, but it does not guarantee any specific outcome for a single ticket purchase.