Experiment involving surface tension for water and alcohol

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment measuring surface tension of a mixture of alcohol and water. The surface tensions of pure alcohol and water are given and the question is how to determine the percentage of each in the mixture. Relevant equations are mentioned, and additional resources for help are provided by the OP.
sagigever
Homework Statement
Lets assume I am doing an experiment of measuring surface tension, I have some

alcohol liquid and I measure ##\gamma_m = 37 \frac{dyne}{cm}## but I know that the surface tension of pure alchohol is ##\gamma_a = 22 \frac{dyne}{cm}## and on the other hand surface tension of pure water is ##\gamma_w = 72 \frac{dyne}{cm}## so it easy to conclude that I have mixture of water and alchohol, now I am asking how can I know the percent of alchohol and water in the mixture

Relevant Equations::
Relevant Equations
##\gamma= \frac{F}{L}##
I really have no idea how to approach this question, I was thinking write ##F=mg## but I am not sure if I can write that even though

Physics news on Phys.org
sagigever said:
Homework Statement:: Let's assume I am doing an experiment of measuring surface tension, I have some
alcohol liquid and I measure ##\gamma_m = 37 \frac{dyne}{cm}## but I know that the surface tension of pure alchohol is ##\gamma_a = 22 \frac{dyne}{cm}## and on the other hand surface tension of pure water is ##\gamma_w = 72 \frac{dyne}{cm}## so it easy to conclude that I have mixture of water and alchohol, now I am asking how can I know the percent of alchohol and water in the mixture
Relevant Equations:: ##\gamma= \frac{F}{L}##

I really have no idea how to approach this question, I was thinking write ##F=mg## but I am not sure if I can write that even though
This might help: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.01648.pdf
Or maybe: https://www.imedpub.com/articles/me...he-diffraction-pattern-of-surface-ripples.pdf

Likes etotheipi
sagigever said:
Homework Statement:: Let's assume I am doing an experiment of measuring surface tension, I have some

Relevant Equations::
Relevant Equations:: ##\gamma= \frac{F}{L}##

The OP has tried to delete their post after receiving good help. The OP has been restored and the thread is now locked. Please do not try to delete your homework threads after receiving help.

Likes etotheipi

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the molecules on the surface of a liquid to stick together, creating a "skin" or surface layer. This is due to the cohesive forces between the molecules.

How does surface tension differ between water and alcohol?

Water has a higher surface tension than alcohol because it has stronger cohesive forces between its molecules. This is due to the polarity of water molecules, which allows them to form hydrogen bonds with each other. Alcohol molecules, on the other hand, have weaker cohesive forces and thus have a lower surface tension.

What is the purpose of conducting an experiment involving surface tension for water and alcohol?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe and compare the surface tension of water and alcohol. This can provide insight into the properties and behavior of these liquids and their molecules.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

To conduct this experiment, you will need water, alcohol, a shallow dish or container, a dropper or pipette, and a small object such as a paperclip or needle.

How do you perform this experiment?

To perform this experiment, fill the shallow dish or container with water. Use the dropper or pipette to carefully place drops of alcohol onto the surface of the water. Observe the shape and behavior of the alcohol drops. Then, use the small object to gently touch the surface of the water and observe the effect on the alcohol drops. Repeat this process with different amounts of alcohol and observe any changes in surface tension.