Why Does Pepper Move to the Edge of the Plate in the Soap Experiment?

In summary: This creates a barrier of sorts that the pepper cannot cross, causing it to move to the edge of the plate. In summary, the experiment with pepper and soap demonstrates the effects of surface tension and surface force. The reduction of surface tension by soap causes the pepper to move to the edge of the plate due to the surface force being unable to compensate for the gravitational force. This occurs because the reduced surface tension takes time to cover the whole surface, creating a barrier that the pepper cannot cross.
Oomph!
Hello.
I have a question... I think that you know the experiment with pepper and soap.
(you put water on plate, than you put a lot of pepper on in, than you put on your finger some soap and than you touch the plate). The pepper goes to edge of the plate. Only some of them fall in the water. It happened because the surface tension was reduced by soap. However, if is the surface tension reduced, than is reduced surface force also. The surface force compensated the gravitational force of pepper at the beginning of the experiment. However, now is the surface force reduced, so it can not compensated the gravitational force. If it is right, the all pepper had to fallen to water, but it is not true, the pepper went to edge of the plate.

Pls, can you tell me why the pepper went to edge of plate? Don't send me a link to wikipedia about surface tension. I understand. I want a straight answer to this problem.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The soap doesn't remove surface tension everywhere instantaneously and totally. It takes time for the area with reduced surface tension to cover the whole surface. I believe what happens is that the pepper moves faster than that area can expand.

1. How does soap affect pepper in an experiment?

Soap reduces the surface tension of water, causing the pepper to spread out and appear to move away from the soap.

2. What materials are needed for the pepper and soap experiment?

This experiment requires a shallow dish, water, ground pepper, and liquid soap.

3. Can you use any type of soap for this experiment?

Yes, any type of liquid soap should work for this experiment. However, clear or translucent soap may give a better visual effect.

4. Why does the pepper move away from the soap instead of mixing with it?

This is due to the surface tension of water. The soap reduces the surface tension, causing the pepper to spread out and move away from the soap.

5. What happens if you use more or less soap in the experiment?

If you use more soap, you may see a stronger effect as the soap molecules further reduce the surface tension of water. If you use less soap, the effect may be less noticeable.