Experiment to determine the time period of a pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time period for a simple pendulum and how it is affected by the mass of the bob. The conversation also touches on the concept of relative difference and how it relates to the problem. However, it is unclear whether the problem statement is incorrect or if the correct option of 0.05 cm is missing. Further clarification is needed.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

pendulum.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Time period of a simple pendulum is given by 2π√(L/g) .

By uniform mass distribution , I am assuming density of mass of bob to be constant .

I don't understand how time period depends on the mass of the bob of a simple pendulum .

Attachments

• pendulum.png
    pendulum.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,024
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
Time period of a simple pendulum is given by 2π√(L/g) .

By uniform mass distribution , I am assuming density of mass of bob to be constant .
Yes, that is correct. As you have pointed out, the period of the pendulum doesn't depend on the mass.

When we say a mass attached to the end of the string of length L what we really mean is a 'point mass'. In other words the total mass is centred at that point(a point at exactly at one end of the string of length L). When you have geometrical(like sphere) objects having mass(And therefore a point mass) at the end of string length L, that changes things. Do you see how?

Likes Jahnavi
Sorry . I missed that .

T1 = 2π√(L+r1)/g)

T2 = 2π√(L+r2)/g)

∆T = (2π/√g)(1/2√L)∆L

Since ∆L = ∆r

∆T = (2π/√g)(1/(2√L))∆r

Putting the values , ∆r = 5×10-4 m = 0.05cm

This is not an option .

Jahnavi said:
∆T = (2π/√g)(1/2√L)∆L
May I know how you got this equation?

phoenix95 said:
May I know how you got this equation?

Taking derivative of both sides of T=2π√(L/g)

Likes phoenix95
The algebra of this is a little complicated. Right now I am not sure of an exact method.

Jahnavi said:
Taking derivative of both sides of T=2π√(L/g)
and hence
Jahnavi said:
∆T = (2π/√g)(1/2√L)∆L
This equation assumes infinitesimal change, not sure if it would work.

Try binomial expansion(Expand the square root).

phoenix95 said:
Try binomial expansion(Expand the square root).

I think it is one and the same thing . I tried it and it gives same result .

Do you get one of the options ?

Jahnavi said:
I think it is one and the same thing . I tried it and it gives same result .
I am getting a different one. If you could show me your calculations, maybe we'll know what's wrong.

Jahnavi said:
Do you get one of the options ?
I think I do.

Maybe I missed something, but I think you did the problem correctly. I suggest you talk to your teacher and tell them the problem is wrong.

Likes Jahnavi
phyzguy said:
Maybe I missed something, but I think you did the problem correctly. I suggest you talk to your teacher and tell them the problem is wrong.

The problem is from a past entrance exam .It is most likely correct .

On reading the question again , I see the use of term " relative difference " . May be this is the part I am missing . But what is a relative difference ?

If I take this as ∆T/T , I do get one of the options . But then relative difference has units of time which means it is actually ∆T .

Please see if I am committing some mistake .

Likes phoenix95
Jahnavi said:
The problem is from a past entrance exam .It is most likely correct .

On reading the question again , I see the use of term " relative difference " . May be this is the part I am missing . But what is a relative difference ?

If I take this as ∆T/T , I do get one of the options . But then relative difference has units of time which means it is actually ∆T .

Please see if I am committing some mistake .

If you interpret the relative difference as ΔT/T, then your explanation makes sense. But then the relative difference would be 5E-4 (unitless), not 5E-4 seconds. In either case the problem is stated incorrectly.

Likes Jahnavi and phoenix95
phyzguy said:
Maybe I missed something, but I think you did the problem correctly.

Do you feel 0.05 cm is correct answer ?

phyzguy said:
I suggest you talk to your teacher and tell them the problem is wrong.
phyzguy said:
In either case the problem is stated incorrectly.

Is problem statement wrong or the problem doesn't contain correct option i.e 0.05 cm ?

It depends where the error in the problem lies. If the problem means "The relative difference in periods is found to be 5E-4", then the right answer is 0.1cm. If the problem means "The difference in periods is found to be 5E-4 s", then the right answer is 0.05cm. You'd have to ask the person who wrote the problem what they meant.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What materials do I need for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a pendulum, a stopwatch, a ruler, a stand to hold the pendulum, and a weight to attach to the end of the pendulum.

2. How do I set up the experiment?

To set up the experiment, first attach the weight to the end of the pendulum and hang it from the stand. Use the ruler to measure the length of the pendulum from the point of suspension to the center of the weight. Then, start the stopwatch and release the pendulum to allow it to swing freely.

3. How do I measure the time period of the pendulum?

Measure the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, from one side to the other and back again. This is the time period of the pendulum.

4. How many times should I repeat the experiment?

To ensure accuracy, it is recommended to repeat the experiment at least three times and then take the average of the three time period measurements.

5. What factors may affect the time period of the pendulum?

The length of the pendulum, the weight of the weight, and the angle at which the pendulum is released can all affect the time period of the pendulum. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also have a small impact.