Experimental measurement of MTF

In summary, the best way to measure the MTF is to take a single image and measure the contrast at different line pair spacings.
Gifty01
TL;DR Summary
MTF
Hi all, I will like to measure the MTF of a lens experimentally. In the set-up, I have my light - target - lens - camera. When my object (target) is at the focus of the lens, I took an image.

My question now is, to I move my object across one pixel or few pixels or to move my object across several pixels ( If I move across several pixels, I obtain a defocused image) Therefore, what is the best way to do this experimentally. Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not to come off as totally pedantic, but measuring the MTF is really hard and time-consuming because it's a complex-valued quantity. What you actually want to measure isn't even the the modulus of the MTF (the optical transfer function), but the "contrast transfer function" (CTF) because you have a sampled imaging system and not a continuous detector like film.

Measuring the CTF is fairly straightforward- print out a set of black-and-white bars, with the separation distance equal to 2x the bar width (so the black and white sections have equal width). Do this for a range of "line pair" spacings. At some point, you will need to convert the actual line pair spacing (say, 0.5 lp/mm) to line pairs/pixel, but that conversion will depend on your setup.

Then, simply image the target- the (normalized) contrast of your image as a function of line pair spacing is equal to the CTF. You can do this over the image area to compare the optical performance near the optical axis to the optical performance at the edge of the frame, determine the effect of stopping down the aperture, determine aberrations like astigmatism (by rotating the bars 90 degrees), etc. etc.

There's a clever alternative method you can use with a single image, taking advantage of the relations between the transfer function and point spread function, edge spread function, and line spread function- simply image an abrupt black-white transition and perform an FFT on the image pixel data normal to the transition. The FFT of that data is the CTF.

For hard-core details that covers sampled imaging systems including aberrations like aliasing, I recommend Vollmerhausen and Driggers "Analysis of Sampled Imaging Systems" (SPIE press).

Does that help?

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Ibix and Bandersnatch

1. What is MTF and why is it important in experimental measurement?

MTF stands for Modulation Transfer Function and it is a measure of the ability of an imaging system to transfer contrast from the object to the image. It is important in experimental measurement because it helps to determine the overall quality of an imaging system and its ability to accurately represent the details of an object.

2. How is MTF measured in experiments?

MTF is typically measured by imaging a test chart with known patterns of contrast and analyzing the resulting image. The contrast values of the patterns are compared to the original values to determine the MTF of the system.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of MTF measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of MTF measurements, including the quality of the test chart, the resolution of the imaging system, and the stability of the experimental setup. Additionally, environmental factors such as lighting and temperature can also impact the results.

4. How can MTF be used to compare different imaging systems?

MTF can be used to compare different imaging systems by quantitatively measuring their ability to transfer contrast from the object to the image. This allows for a direct comparison of the quality and performance of different systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using MTF in experimental measurement?

Yes, there are some limitations to using MTF in experimental measurement. It is important to properly calibrate the imaging system and carefully control environmental factors to ensure accurate results. Additionally, MTF may not fully capture all aspects of image quality and should be used in conjunction with other measures for a comprehensive evaluation.