Experimental question detecting light scattering with photodiode

In summary, the individual is attempting to build a cell counting apparatus using light scattering. They are using a UDT-500D "photop" outputting to an oscilloscope, but are experiencing issues with a signal even in the absence of light. They are unsure of how to solve this issue and are wondering if using a high-pass filter would be effective. They also mention an additional problem with a control bottle showing significant scattering. They are seeking suggestions for a better approach to counting cells. The expert believes that this method is inherently flawed and suggests using digital imaging and image processing software instead.
ihggin
Hi, so I am trying to build a cell counting apparatus using light scattering. The setup is a (green) laser shining through a clear bottle full of (Dicty) cells suspended in a stirred solution. The idea is to put a photodetector at some angle by the bottle; a greater cell density should result in more scattering (or “flashes”) or light, which can be counted. However, I am running into a number of problems early on.

I am using a UDT-500D “photop” (which I guess is a photodiode with a built-in op amp). The photop is outputting to an oscilloscope. The first problem is that even when there is no light (for example, covering the sensing area with black paper while the lights are off), the scope still shows a signal, with greater amplitude and smaller frequency than a white light signal. I am hoping to see close to zero output signal in the dark, with spikes corresponding to the scattering. Any ideas as to what is going on / a solution? (I’m new to photodiodes and fairly inexperienced with oscilloscopes.) I was thinking a solution might be to hook up a high-pass filter; any suggestions as to what frequency would drown out the dark signal yet still detect scattering?

Another, maybe more serious, problem is that a control bottle filled with just water also shows significant amounts of scattering (to the naked eye). Do you think that this approach to counting cells is inherently flawed? Could there be another method to accomplish this goal?

Thanks, and please let me know if you need any more details / specifics.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes it is flawed. I think the cells are too small to resolve that way.

The better approach is to make a digital picture of a horizontal slice of the fluid, then use image processing software to recognize and count the cells.

1. What is light scattering and how does it relate to photodiodes?

Light scattering is the phenomenon that occurs when light rays interact with particles in a medium, causing them to deviate from their original path. Photodiodes are light-sensitive devices that convert light into electrical signals. In this experiment, we are using a photodiode to detect the scattered light, which can provide information about the particles in the medium.

2. How does the experimental setup for this question work?

The experimental setup involves directing a beam of light through a medium, such as a solution or gas, and measuring the intensity of the light with a photodiode. As the light passes through the medium, it will scatter in different directions depending on the particles present. The photodiode will detect this scattered light and convert it into an electrical signal, which can be recorded and analyzed.

3. What factors can affect the results of this experiment?

The results of this experiment can be affected by several factors, such as the concentration and size of particles in the medium, the intensity and wavelength of the light source, and the sensitivity and positioning of the photodiode. Other external factors, such as ambient light and temperature, can also impact the results.

4. What are some potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment can be used in various fields, such as environmental science, material science, and biotechnology. It can help in studying the properties of particles in a medium, such as their size and concentration, and can also be used to monitor changes in the medium over time. Additionally, it can aid in the development of new materials and technologies.

5. What are some limitations of using a photodiode to detect light scattering?

One limitation is that the photodiode can only detect scattered light that falls within its detection range, so it may not capture all the scattered light from the medium. Additionally, the sensitivity of the photodiode may decrease over time, leading to less accurate results. Other factors, such as ambient light and noise, can also affect the accuracy of the measurements.