Why Did My Window Shatter During Nearby Construction?

In summary, the use of a pneumatic drill close to the glass in a small window could be the cause of the shatter.
May Briscoe
Hi, I'm a new member!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have double glazing and one of the smaller top windows has shattered. Could the use of a pneumatic drill be the cause?
Regards May.

May Briscoe said:
I have double glazing and one of the smaller top windows has shattered. Could the use of a pneumatic drill be the cause?
Regards May.
Well, if you put a pneumatic drill right up to the glass and turned it on, yeah, it could be the cause. Absent that, I think you'll have to help us out with what you are talking about. The use of a pneumatic drill five counties over would not likely be the cause. See how it might be helpful if you were less vague?

This sounds a lot like a "I think my neighbor damaged my property" question. Just to preempt such a question, this is not something a Physics Forum will answer.

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
Well, if you put a pneumatic drill right up to the glass and turned it on, yeah, it could be the cause. Absent that, I think you'll have to help us out with what you are talking about. The use of a pneumatic drill five counties over would not likely be the cause. See how it might be helpful if you were less.

Hi, sorry I didn't explain myself properly...my age...83. The builders were working next door and they were using the pneumatic drill to go through concrete.
He did knock to ask me to cover up the fireplace as he was concerned that soot might damage the carpet etc!
The noise was horrendous. I won't complain, I just wondered why the window shattered

Last edited by a moderator:
May Briscoe said:
Hi, sorry I didn't explain myself properly...my age...83. The builders were working next door and they were using the pneumatic drill to go through concrete.
He did knock to ask me to cover up the fireplace as he was concerned that soot might damage the carpet etc!
The noise was horrendous. I won't complain, I just wondered why the window shattered
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Since they did warn you about falling soot in the chimney, it seems plausible that the vibrations were part of the reason that your window cracked. Likely there were other stresses or other factors that contributed, since all the windows in your home did not crack as well.

But as mentioned already, we generally are not able to help with liability questions here at the PF. For a better opinion, you would need to consult an expert in your area who could conduct an in-person inspection. Sorry about your window!

Thread is closed.

1. What is the best way to repair a broken window?

The best way to repair a broken window depends on the size and type of damage. For small cracks or chips, you can use a DIY repair kit or fill the damage with clear nail polish. For larger cracks or shattered windows, it is best to call a professional window repair company. They have the necessary tools and expertise to safely and effectively repair or replace the broken window.

2. Can a broken window be fixed or does it need to be replaced?

The extent of the damage will determine whether a broken window can be fixed or needs to be replaced. Small cracks or chips can often be fixed with a repair kit, but larger cracks or shattered windows will likely need to be replaced. It is best to consult a professional for their recommendation.

3. How long does it take to repair or replace a broken window?

The timeframe for repairing or replacing a broken window can vary depending on the size of the window and the extent of the damage. For small repairs, it may only take a few hours. However, for larger repairs or replacements, it may take a few days. It is best to consult with a professional for an accurate estimate.

4. Will my homeowner's insurance cover the cost of a broken window?

It depends on your specific insurance policy and the cause of the damage. Some homeowner's insurance policies may cover the cost of repairing or replacing a broken window, while others may not. It is best to check with your insurance provider to see what is covered under your policy.

5. How can I prevent my windows from breaking in the future?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent your windows from breaking in the future. Regularly inspect your windows for any signs of damage and address any issues immediately. Avoid slamming doors or windows, as this can cause cracks or chips. You can also install protective film or storm shutters to add an extra layer of protection to your windows.