Explain why Mo–95 & La–139 are more stable than U–235

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Semiempirical Mass formula to determine binding energy in nuclei and the various factors that contribute to the weakening of heavy nuclei. The conversation also includes links to additional resources for further understanding.
Bolter
Homework Statement
See question below
Relevant Equations
None
Hey everyone!

So I have attempted this Q which is shown below

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 20.24.38.png

I had a go at all the parts and I think they are right
but I'm not so sure on what answer to give for c)iii, I mentioned about the ratio of protons to neutrons but I'm not sure if that is necessary over here?

IMG_4646.JPG

IMG_4647.jpg

Any help would be grateful! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The Semiempirical Mass formula gives an idea of binding energy in nuclei. It treats the nuclei as fluid, so a number of terms are introduced: volume, surface tension, coulomb repulsion among protons, symmetry, and pairing neutron-proton.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-empirical_mass_formula

There are a number of factors that weaken heavy nuclei, the most important is the Coulomb repulsion among protons. In this graph, each component of the mass formula is displayed, so you can see which one changes the most from A~240, to A~100.
https://www.slideserve.com/sasha/the-semi-empirical-mass-formula

I hope it helps.

Regards,
ORF

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. Why are Mo-95 and La-139 more stable than U-235?

Mo-95 and La-139 are more stable than U-235 because they have a higher binding energy per nucleon. This means that the nucleus of these isotopes is more tightly bound, making them less likely to undergo nuclear reactions and decay.

2. What is binding energy per nucleon?

Binding energy per nucleon is the amount of energy required to break apart the nucleus of an atom into its individual nucleons (protons and neutrons). The higher the binding energy per nucleon, the more stable the nucleus is.

3. How do Mo-95 and La-139 achieve a higher binding energy per nucleon?

Mo-95 and La-139 achieve a higher binding energy per nucleon due to their specific arrangement of protons and neutrons in the nucleus. This arrangement results in a stronger nuclear force, which holds the nucleus together more tightly.

4. What is the significance of stability in isotopes?

Stability in isotopes is important because it determines the likelihood of nuclear reactions and radioactive decay. More stable isotopes are less likely to undergo these processes, making them useful for various applications such as nuclear power and medical imaging.

5. Can other factors affect the stability of isotopes?

Yes, other factors such as the number of protons and neutrons, the nuclear spin, and the energy levels of the nucleons can also affect the stability of isotopes. However, the arrangement of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, which determines the binding energy per nucleon, is the primary factor in determining stability.