Explaining Dimensions of Tanagrams Without Midpoint Assumptions

In summary, the dimensions of the squares are 1 unit by 1 unit, and the dimensions of each of the seven shapes are as follows: two large congruent isosceles triangles, one medium isosceles triangle, two small isosceles triangles, and one square. The dimensions of the pieces can be rearranged with no gaps or overlapping of shapes into a square with dimensions 1 unit by 1 unit.
jljarrett18
I am currently working on an assignment using Tanagrams. I have the information that I have:
• 2 large, and congruent, isosceles right triangles
• 1 medium isosceles right triangle
• 2 small, and congruent, isosceles right triangles
• 1 square
• 1 parallelogram

The pieces can be rearranged with no gaps or overlapping of shapes into a square with dimensions 1 unit by 1 unit (i.e., the entire area of the square is 1 unit^{2})

I have figured out all the dimensions of the pieces but I need to explain how I came up with them. The only thing is you cannot make midpoint assumptions (e.g. B is the midpoint between A and C). I used this assumption in determining the dimensions so I need a new way to explain the dimensions. I have already explained how I got the 2 large congruent isosceles triangles, but I am stuck.
I have attached a picture of the tanagram

This is what I have so far for my explanation:

The way that I determined the dimensions of each of the 7 shapes was by the information within the task. The information given says that the dimension of the whole square is 1 unit by 1 unit. So for the two large congruent isosceles triangles (segment AJ and JK) the one side is 1 unit because the one side takes up the whole side of the square as you can see by the 1 in red. Next, I tried to determine the dimension of the other two legs. By Theorem 6 of Pythagorean theorem: A triangle is a right triangle if and only if the sum of the squares of the two smaller legs equal the square of the largest leg; so (UCertify, n.a). Next what I did was plugged in 1 for C and squared it which is 1. Since the triangles are isosceles that mean both sides are congruent and equal. So, I divided 1 by 2 and then took the square root to find out what the two sides are which are

Attachments

• task 2  puzzle.png
    task 2 puzzle.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What you have done so far is to identify the dimensions of the two big triangles $AFJ$ and $JFK$. I think that you should next look at the square $BDFE$. Draw its diagonal $BF$. You know that $F$ is the centre of the square $ACKJ$, and you know that the angles $BFD$ and $FAJ$ are both $45^\circ$. It follows that $BF$ is parallel to $AJ$, and you should be able to conclude that the length of $BF$ is $\frac12$. Then use Pythagoras to find the lengths of the sides of the square $BDFE$, and deduce that $B$ is indeed the midpoint of $AC.$

[Spelling suggestion: the name of these shapes is Tangrams, with two a's, not three.]

So now I can prove the dimensions of square are (√2)/4. With that information I then can fill in the rest of the shapes of the tangrams because I know one length of the square?

1. What is the purpose of "Explaining Dimensions of Tanagrams Without Midpoint Assumptions"?

The purpose of this study is to provide a clearer understanding of the dimensions of tanagrams without making any assumptions about the location of the midpoint. This can help to improve our understanding of geometric concepts and enhance problem-solving skills.

2. How are the dimensions of tanagrams determined without using midpoint assumptions?

In this study, the dimensions are determined by using a combination of geometric principles and mathematical equations. This allows for a more accurate and unbiased measurement of the dimensions without relying on any assumed information.

3. What are some potential applications of this research?

This research can have various applications in the fields of mathematics, geometry, and engineering. It can also be used in designing and constructing geometric shapes and structures, as well as in problem-solving and critical thinking activities.

4. Are there any limitations to this study?

Like any research, there are limitations to this study. Some potential limitations may include the accuracy of the measurements, the sample size, and the assumptions made in the equations used. Further studies and improvements can help to address these limitations.

5. How can this study benefit students and educators?

By providing a deeper understanding of the dimensions of tanagrams, this study can benefit students and educators in various ways. It can improve students' problem-solving skills, enhance their understanding of geometric concepts, and provide educators with alternative methods of teaching and assessing students' knowledge.