Solving the Tangram Puzzle Geometrically (No Constructions)

• MHB
  • Thread starter squigley5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the graders told me that I could not use any constructions in my justification of the lengths of the isosceles triangles, it has to be done with logic. I am missing something in my calculation.
squigley5
I have looked at the threads posted by others who were working on what seems to be the same task. I have correctly determined all the lengths and angles as the task requires, however am struggling to justify the lengths geometrically, without constructing any midpoints or additional constructions. I was told by the graders that I could not use any constructions, it has to be done with logic. What am I missing or doing wrong?

Here is the task:

Given:
● AFJ and JFK are large, congruent right isosceles triangles.
● EFH and ABD are small, congruent right isosceles triangles.
● BCG is a right isosceles triangle.
● BEFD is a square.
● EGKH is a parallelogram.
● ACKJ is a square with dimensions of 1 unit by 1 unit (i.e., the entire area of the square is 1 unit2).

Note: The right angle for each triangle can be determined by inspection. All line segments that appear straight are straight (e.g., JE ̅̅̅ is straight, with no bend at F).

There are no gaps or overlapping figures.

Requirements:
A. Determine the dimensions and area of each of the seven individual pieces from the square arrangement in Figure 1. (rearranging the pieces is not allowed).
1. Explain with full geometric justification, how you determined the dimensions of each piece.

Note: You cannot make midpoint assumptions (e.g., B is the midpoint between A and C).

B. Determine the angle measures of each of the seven individual pieces from the square arrangement in Figure 1. (rearranging the pieces is not allowed).
1. Explain with full geometric justification, how you determined the angle measures of each piece.

View attachment 5569

Attachments

• Midpoint Construction 001.jpg
    Midpoint Construction 001.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is the work I have completed, the cells that mention the midpoint construction are the ones that are causing the problem I believe, but I cannot figure a different way to justify the lengths.

For▲AFJand ▲JFK

Statement

Reason

AFJ and ▲ JFK are congruent right isosceles triangles, AJ and JK have a length of 1 unit, m∠AFJ, m∠JFK and m∠AJK = 90°

Given and visual observation

m∠AJF + m∠FAJ + m∠AFJ = m∠FJK + m∠FKJ +m∠JFK = 180°

Sum of internal angles in triangle is 180°

m∠AJF + m∠FAJ = m∠FJK + m∠FKJ = 90°

Subtraction

m∠AJF = m∠FAJ = 45°

Division, Isosceles triangle definition

m∠AJF = m∠FAJ = m∠FJK = m∠FKJ = 45°

CPCTC

AJK is an isosceles right triangle

SAS Postulate, Complementary angles definition

AJK is similar to ▲AFJ and ▲ JFK

Definition of right isosceles triangle

mAJ2 + m JK2 = m AK2 , 12 + 12 = 2 , therefore AK has a length of 2

Given Information and Pythagorean Theorem

AFJ and ▲ JFK are congruent right isosceles triangles, m∠KFJ = m∠AFJ = 90°, and AF = FK, therefore FJ is a perpendicular bisector of AK and also the median of ▲AJK

Given Information, Observation, CPCTC and Definitions of Right Isosceles Triangles, Median of a Triangle and Perpendicular Bisectors

AF and FK have a length of 2/2

Definition and Division

FJ = AF = FK

Congruency, Isosceles triangle definition

AJK has an area of ½ Units2

A=1/2 bh

AFJ and ▲ JFK each have an area of ¼ units2

Given they are congruent and by definition each is ½ of ▲AJK

For▲ABDand ▲HEF

Statement

Reason

ABD and ▲ HEF are congruent right isosceles triangles, m∠ADB and m∠EFH = 90°

Given and visual observation

90° + m∠DAB + m∠ABD = m∠FHE + m∠HEF + 90° = 180°

m∠DAB + m∠ABD = m∠FHE + m∠HEF = 90°

Subtraction

m∠DAB = m∠ABD = 45°

m∠DAB = m∠ABD = m∠FHE = m∠HEF = 45°

CPCTC

EF, FH, BD and AD are Congruent

CPCTC

HE and AB are congruent

CPCTC

m FH = 2/4 Units

By completing a midpoint construction, the mid point of FK was determined to be point H, therefore FH and HK are are congruent and ½ the length of FK. Length of FK was determined in a previous proof. (see Figure 1 below for Midpoint Construction proof)

m FH, EF, BD and AD = 2/4 Units

Definition of Isosceles triangle and CPCTC

mFH2 + m FE2 = m EH2, √2/42 + 2/42 = 4/16, therefore m EH = 4/16 = ½ Unit

Pythagorean Theorem

m EH = m AB = ½ Unit

CPCTC

Work Continued

For▲BCG

Statement

Reason

BCG is a right isosceles triangle, m∠BCG = 90°

Given and inspection

m∠CGB + m∠CBG + 90° = 180°

m∠CGB + m∠CBG = 90°

Subtraction

m∠CGB = m∠CBG = 45°

BC and CG are congruent

Definition of Isosceles triangle

m CG + m GK = 1 Unit

Given length of CK is 1 Unit

1 Unit - m GK = m CG = ½ Unit

Subtraction, proof for parallelogram

m CG = m BC = ½ Unit

Congruent sides of an isosceles triangle

m BG = m BE + m EG

Two segments added together make a whole

m BG = 2/2 units

Addition

For■BEFD

Statement

Reason

BEFD is a square, all four sides and angles are congruent, all angles are 90°

Definition and given information

Length of DB = 2/4 Units

Line segments are congruent with themselves, the length of DB was found during exercise for ABD

m DB, FD, EF and BE = 2/4 Units

Definition of a square

m∠BEF, m∠EFD, m∠FDB, m∠DBE = 90°

Definition of a square

Work Continued

ForParallelogram EGKH

Statement

Reason

EGKH is a parallelogram

Given

m HK = 2/4 Units

By completing a midpoint construction, the mid point of FK was determined to be point H, therefore FH and HK are are congruent and ½ the length of FK , as found in proof for ▲ HEF

m HK = m EG

Opposite sides of a parallelogram are congruent

m HE = ½ Unit

Line segments are congruent with themselves, the length of HE was found during exercise for HEF

m GK = m HE = ½ Unit

Opposite sides of a parallelogram are congruent

m∠EHK = 135°

EHK and ∠EHF are supplementary therefore by subtraction 180° - (m∠EHF)45° = 135°, Previous proof

m∠EHK = m∠EGK = 135°

Opposite angles of parallelograms are congruent

m∠JKF = 45°

Previous proof

m∠JKF + m∠GKH = 90°

Complementary angle definition. Given ACKJ is a Square therefore all angles are 90°

m∠GKH = 45°

Complementary angle definition

m∠GKH = m∠HEG = 45°

Opposite angles of parallelograms are congruent

Hi squigley5 and welcome to MHB! :D

squigley5 said:
Given:
● and are large, congruent right isosceles triangles.
● and are small, congruent right isosceles triangles.
● is a right isosceles triangle.
● is a square.
● is a parallelogram.
● is a square with dimensions of 1 unit by 1 unit (i.e., the entire area of the square is 1 unit2).

The above list is incomplete. Can you please clarify?

Thanks for the heads up. Took so long to get it all posted I missed the dropped characters. Fixed it.

Solved: Since BEFD is a square and ABD is a right isosceles triangle, segments DB, BE, EF and FD are congruent. Since ABD is a right isosceles triangle AD is congruent with BD, therefore AD is congruent with FD and their sum is equal to AF. Since we now can mathematically calculate FD and AD we can solve the rest of the lengths without constructions.

1. How do I start solving the tangram puzzle?

To start solving the tangram puzzle, you should familiarize yourself with the seven basic geometric shapes that make up the puzzle. These shapes include two large triangles, one medium triangle, two small triangles, one square, and one parallelogram.

2. Can the tangram puzzle be solved using only geometric principles?

Yes, the tangram puzzle can be solved using only geometric principles. This means that no constructions, such as tracing or measuring, should be used during the solving process.

3. What is the best strategy for solving the tangram puzzle geometrically?

The best strategy for solving the tangram puzzle geometrically is to start with the larger shapes and work towards the smaller ones. Begin by identifying the larger triangles and square, and then try to fit them together to form a larger shape. This will help guide your placement of the smaller shapes.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving the tangram puzzle?

There are no shortcuts or tricks for solving the tangram puzzle geometrically. It requires patience, spatial reasoning, and a good understanding of basic geometric shapes and principles.

5. Can the tangram puzzle be solved using different arrangements of the seven shapes?

Yes, the tangram puzzle can be solved using different arrangements of the seven shapes. However, the final shape formed by the arrangement will always be the same. This means that there is only one solution to the tangram puzzle.