What are the dimensions of the shapes in this tangram problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter narledge
  • Start date
In summary, the Tanagrams assignment has the following information:-Two large isosceles right triangles-One medium isosceles right triangle-Two small isosceles right triangles-One square-One parallelogram.Based on the information, we can determine that the dimensions of the square are 1 unit by 1 unit, the dimensions of the parallelogram are 1 unit by 1 unit, and the dimensions of the triangles are 1/2 unit by 1/2 unit by 1/2 unit.
narledge
I am currently working on an assignment using Tanagrams. I have the information that I have:
• 2 large, and congruent, isosceles right triangles
• 1 medium isosceles right triangle
• 2 small, and congruent, isosceles right triangles
• 1 square
• 1 parallelogram

The pieces can be rearranged with no gaps or overlapping of shapes into a square with dimensions 1 unit by 1 unit (i.e., the entire area of the square is 1 unit^{2})

You must find the dimensions of all shapes and cannot make midpoint assumptions.

Each dimension must be supported by geometric justification. I have attached a picture and would appreciate any help in reaching an answer.View attachment 5180

View attachment 5181

Attachments

• tangram puzzle.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 42
  • tangram.png
    tangram.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 55
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, narledge! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

I am sorry for not doing that ----

I have found the length of AB, AF, FK, and FJ by using the given dimensions of 1 and Pythagorean theorem.

The sides of the smaller two triangles at 1/2 for hypotenuse and square root of 2 /4

The sides of the medium are hypotenuse square root of 2/2 and side 1/2

square is side square root of 2/4

parallelogram sides square root of 2/4 and 1/2

Just having difficulty proving it using geometry.

Okay, we are given:

\(\displaystyle \overline{AJ}=\overline{JK}=1\)

And since \(\displaystyle \triangle AFJ\) and \(\displaystyle \triangle JFK\) are right isosceles triangles, we know by Pythagoras:

\(\displaystyle \overline{AF}=\overline{JF}=\overline{FK}=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\)

From this, we may conclude that $F$ is at the mid-point of the square $AJKC$. Can you justify that $\overline{BF}$ has to be a vertical line, and thus \(\displaystyle \overline{AB}=\overline{BC}=\frac{1}{2}\)?

1. What is a Tangram problem?

A Tangram problem is a classic Chinese puzzle consisting of seven flat geometric shapes, called tans, which are put together to form a square. The objective is to rearrange the tans to create a specific shape or figure.

2. How can I solve a Tangram problem?

To solve a Tangram problem, you need to use all seven tans to form a square or other specified shape. Start by studying the shapes and thinking about how they can fit together. Then, try different combinations and rotations until you find the correct solution.

3. Are there any strategies for solving Tangram problems?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help you solve Tangram problems. Some people find it helpful to start with the largest triangles and work their way down to the smaller shapes. Others prefer to start with the square and build outwards. Experiment with different approaches to see what works best for you.

4. Can Tangram problems help improve cognitive skills?

Yes, solving Tangram problems can help improve cognitive skills such as spatial reasoning, problem-solving, and critical thinking. It also requires visual-spatial awareness and hand-eye coordination, making it a great brain exercise.

5. Are there any resources available for help with Tangram problems?

There are many resources available for help with Tangram problems, including online tutorials, books, and Tangram sets with varying levels of difficulty. You can also find apps and games that offer Tangram puzzles to help you practice and improve your skills.