Explaining Siphon Mechanics with Bernoulli's Equation

• I
  • Thread starter Joseph Phan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary, siphons work by utilizing Bernoulli's equation, which states that the sum of kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure at any point in a fluid system is constant. In order for water to flow through a siphon, there must be a pressure differential between the input and output points. The water will always flow from the higher pressure point to the lower pressure point. This explains why one beaker must have a higher height than the other in order for a siphon to work. The misconception that pressure B1 (beaker with the lower height) is greater than pressure B2 (beaker with the greater height) is incorrect, as the pressure is actually higher at the lower height due to the height
Joseph Phan
Could someone explain to me how a Siphon works using Bernoulli's equation.

Why would one beaker have to have a higher height than the other beaker?

My thoughts were that a Pressure differential is needed for water to flow, so the input and the output pressures must be different.
In addition, water flows from higher pressure to lower pressure

Using Bernoullis' equation 1/2ρv2 +mgh + P = constant

Why does water flow from the beaker with a greater height into the beaker with the lower height?

Isn't pressure B1 ( beaker with the lower height) greater than the pressure B2 (beaker with the greater height). And that water would move from the lower height to the higher height due to water wanting to flow from greater pressure to lower pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph Phan said:
Could someone explain to me how a Siphon works using Bernoulli's equation.

Why would one beaker have to have a higher height than the other beaker?

My thoughts were that a Pressure differential is needed for water to flow, so the input and the output pressures must be different.

Using Bernoullis' equation 1/2ρv2 +mgh + P = constant

Why does water flow from the beaker with a greater height into the beaker with the lower height?

Isn't pressure B1 ( beaker with the lower height) greater than the pressure B2 (beaker with the greater height). And that water would move from the lower height to the higher height due to water wanting to flow from greater pressure to lower pressure?

Hi there Joseph,

you have labelled your post I for undergraduate level , what university studies have you done using Bernoulli's equation.?
what online research have you done so far ?

davenn said:
Hi there Joseph,

you have labelled your post I for undergraduate level , what university studies have you done using Bernoulli's equation.?
what online research have you done so far ?
I've taken Unviersity physics the course and we went through Fluid and Fluid dynamics and I'm studying for the MCAT right now. There was a passage on this question how a toilet works and its relationship from how water moves from the Bowl, through the Erkel tube.

I'd did research on youtube and wikipedia, to find out the physics behind it, but it was vague or didn't explain the physics.

Joseph Phan said:
This is true.
Isn't pressure B1 ( beaker with the lower height) greater than the pressure B2 (beaker with the greater height).
No. Maybe you should draw a diagram and label the actual pressures.

1. What is a siphon?

A siphon is a tube or pipe that is used to transfer liquid from a higher level to a lower level, without the use of a pump or other external force. It works by utilizing the pressure difference between the two ends of the siphon to push the liquid through the tube.

2. How does a siphon work?

A siphon works by utilizing Bernoulli's equation, which states that the sum of the kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy of a fluid remains constant throughout the flow. As the liquid flows through the siphon, it accelerates due to the pressure difference and the Bernoulli effect, allowing it to overcome the force of gravity and flow from the higher level to the lower level.

3. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid in motion. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa.

4. How is Bernoulli's equation used to explain siphon mechanics?

In the case of a siphon, Bernoulli's equation is used to explain how the pressure difference between the two ends of the siphon creates a force that pushes the liquid through the tube. As the liquid flows from the higher end to the lower end, its velocity increases, causing its pressure to decrease. This pressure difference is what allows the liquid to overcome the force of gravity and flow through the siphon.

5. Are there any limitations to siphon mechanics explained by Bernoulli's equation?

While Bernoulli's equation is a useful tool for explaining siphon mechanics, it does have its limitations. For instance, it assumes that the fluid is incompressible and inviscid, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, Bernoulli's equation does not take into account frictional losses, which can affect the efficiency of a siphon. Thus, while it provides a good theoretical explanation, practical applications of siphon mechanics may require more complex calculations.