Explaining the Cross Product for Two Vectors

In summary: Thanks for your reply!If vectors x and y are not orthogonal, then we can't call it a cross product since the vectors are not at right angles. Is there a specific term used for non-orthogonal vectors?Not that I am aware of.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Trying to find whether there is a vector that can solve the cross product between two vectors.
Relevant Equations
Cross product formula: A cross B = ABcos(theta)
Dot product formula: A dot B = ABsin(theta)
Hi!

For this problem,
1669772746431.png

The solution is,
1669772857290.png

However, I don't understand their solution at all. Can somebody please explain their reasoning in more detail.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\mathbf{B} \times \mathbf{A} = \mathbf{C}##, what is the angle between ## \mathbf{B}## and ## \mathbf{C}## (assuming ##\mathbf{C} \neq 0##)?

Likes ChiralSuperfields and topsquark
Thank for your reply! 90 degrees I think because the cross product of two vector is always perpendicular to the plane formed by the two vectors. Many thanks!

Thanks, I see now, so since B and C must be at 90 degrees for it to be a cross product then we take the scalar product to find whether there is any component of B on C or C on B. And the scalar product of all components must be zero if B and C are to be perpendicular. Do you please know what we call it when the B and C are not 90 degrees to each other?Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Cross product formula: A cross B = ABcos(theta)
Dot product formula: A dot B = ABsin(theta)
Assuming θ is the angle between the vectors, you have that, ahem, crossed.
##||\vec A\times\vec B||=||\vec A||.||\vec B||.| \sin(\theta)|##
##||\vec A.\vec B||=||\vec A||.||\vec B||.| \cos(\theta)|##.

Callumnc1 said:
the scalar product of all components must be zero
That wording suggests a misunderstanding. The scalar product of two vectors is a single number. There is not a separate scalar product for each component.

Callumnc1 said:
what we call it when the B and C are not 90 degrees to each other?
Do you mean for two vectors in general? Maybe "non orthogonal"? Not aware of anything more concise.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
##||\vec A.\vec B||=||\vec A||.||\vec B||.| \cos(\theta)|##.That wording suggests a misunderstanding. The scalar product of two vectors is a single number. There is not a separate scalar product for each component.Do you mean for two vectors in general? Maybe "non orthogonal"? Not aware of anything more concise.
Thanks for your reply! Sorry, what did you please mean when you said that we cannot take the scalar product of each component. My textbooks shows:
1669781707883.png

Many thanks!

haruspex said:
Do you mean for two vectors in general? Maybe "non orthogonal"? Not aware of anything more concise.
Yeah, thanks I mean for any two vectors in general. I think cross product is orthogonal. Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
what did you please mean when you said that we cannot take the scalar product of each component
Sorry, I didn’t manage to express that quite correctly.
Your remark in post #4 implies you think that if ##\vec x=x_i\vec i+x_j\vec j+x_k\vec k## and ##\vec y=y_i\vec i+y_j\vec j+y_k\vec k## are orthogonal then each of the scalar products ##x_i\vec i.y_i\vec i##, ##x_j\vec j.y_j\vec j##, etc., must be zero. My point is that the scalar product ##\vec x.\vec y## is the sum of those individual products, and it is only that sum that needs to be zero.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
All goods, thanks for your reply!

If vectors x and y are not orthogonal, then we can't call it a cross product since the vectors are not at right angles. Is there a specific term used for non-orthogonal vectors?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Is there a specific term used for non-orthogonal vectors?
Not that I am aware of.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
Not that I am aware of.
Ok thank you!

haruspex said:
##||\vec A.\vec B||=||\vec A||.||\vec B||.| \cos(\theta)|##.
Pet peeve: The appropriate LaTeX for the dot product is \cdot. Norms are preferably typeset with \| or \lVert and \rVert.
$$
\vec A \cdot \vec B = \|\vec A\| \|\vec B\| \cos\theta
$$

Likes ChiralSuperfields and haruspex

1. What is the definition of a cross product for two vectors?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is defined as A x B = |A||B|sinθn, where A and B are the two vectors, |A| and |B| are their magnitudes, θ is the angle between them, and n is the unit vector perpendicular to both A and B.

2. How is the cross product different from the dot product?

The dot product and the cross product are two different operations that can be performed on two vectors. The dot product, also known as the scalar product, results in a scalar quantity, whereas the cross product results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the dot product measures the similarity or projection of one vector onto another, while the cross product measures the perpendicularity between the two vectors.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The cross product has a geometric interpretation as the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors being multiplied together. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the area of this parallelogram, and the direction of the resulting vector is perpendicular to the plane of the parallelogram.

4. Is the cross product commutative?

No, the cross product is not commutative, meaning the order of the vectors matters. This can be seen in the definition of the cross product, where the order of the vectors affects the direction of the resulting vector. In other words, A x B will not necessarily be equal to B x A.

5. In what situations is the cross product used in science and engineering?

The cross product has many applications in science and engineering, including in physics, mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is commonly used to calculate torque, magnetic fields, and angular momentum. It is also used in computer graphics to determine the direction of the normal vector to a surface, which is important in shading and lighting calculations.