Motion of a Particle: Solutions & Examples

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of motion on the surface of a cone and how it can be achieved by showing that there is a constant vector 'a' that satisfies the equation a•r=constant. The individual also mentions attempting to use vectorial identities and the 'BAC-CAB' rule to understand this concept better. However, it is mentioned that this approach did not lead to any concrete results. The conversation ends with a question about whether there are any similar examples or resources that can aid in understanding this concept further.
Einstenio
Homework Statement
Show that a point with acceleration given by:
a=c*((dr/dt)×r)/|r|3
where c is a constant, moves on the surface of a cone.
Relevant Equations
v=dr/dt
This is jut an example to illustrate my doubt. I don't know how to obtain the tracjectory given only the acceleration in this format. I realized that if i can show that there is an constat vector 'a' that satisfy a•r=constant, than the motion would be on the surface of a cone. So i tried to make use of some vectorial identity multiplying by cross product on both sides and try to use the 'BAC-CAB' rule, but that didnt lead to anywhere.

Is there any example similar to this case or anywhere i can study to have a better understanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstenio said:
if i can show that there is an constat vector 'a' that satisfy a•r=constant, than the motion would be on the surface of a cone.
Seems to me that would be motion in a plane normal to ##\vec a##.

##\ddot{\vec r}=c\frac{\dot{\vec r}\times\vec r}{|r|^3}##?
Seems most unlikely that would give a cone. A cone's axis has an orientation in space, whereas that equation appears to have spherical symmetry.

1. What is the equation for calculating the position of a moving particle?

The equation for calculating the position of a particle in motion is given by x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How do you determine the velocity of a particle at a specific time?

The velocity of a particle at a specific time can be determined by taking the derivative of the position equation, v = v0 + at, where v0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration.

3. Can the acceleration of a particle change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of a particle can change over time. This can happen if there is a change in the net force acting on the particle, or if the particle is moving in a curved path and experiencing centripetal acceleration.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of a particle divided by the total time elapsed. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of a particle at a specific instant in time. It can be found by taking the derivative of the position equation.

5. How can we represent the motion of a particle graphically?

The motion of a particle can be represented graphically by plotting its position, velocity, and acceleration over time. The position can be represented by a position-time graph, velocity by a velocity-time graph, and acceleration by an acceleration-time graph.