Explanation as regards range and domains

In summary: Sorry.In response to (b): The domain for cos(4x +y2) is any real number on the xy-plane.And it's range is [-1,1]-min bound of -1 with max bound of 1.Since the question asked for the domain and range of 2 cos(4x +y2), the domain is any real number on the xy-plane. The range is the interval [-2,2]-min at -2, max at 2In summary, the domain for a) f(x,y)=√ [1−(x2+y2)] is the closed disk with radius 1 and center (0,0), and the range is [0
negation

Homework Statement

a) f(x,y)=√ [1−(x2+y2)]

b) f(x,y)=2cos(4x+y2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The domain is such that x2 + y2 must not be greater than 1
In other words, this is expressed (as stated as an option on the answer sheet) as "xy-plane without the line x=y"
Why is this so?

b) the equation f(x,y)=2cos(4x+y2) has a range of [-2,2]
As for the domain, for f(x,y)=2cos(4x+y2) to have a range of [-2,2], (4x +y2 must be 0 or π. How do I express the domain in terms of x and y?
The domain for (b) as provided by the answer is R2(xy-plane).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

a) f(x,y)=√ [1−(x2+y2)]

b) f(x,y)=2cos(4x+y2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The domain is such that x2 + y2 must not be greater than 1
OK. Can it equal 1?
In other words, this is expressed (as stated as an option on the answer sheet) as "xy-plane without the line x=y"
Why is this so?
No, this is not equivalent at all. What is the region defined by ##x^2 + y^2 < 1##? What is its shape?

b) the equation f(x,y)=2cos(4x+y2) has a range of [-2,2]
As for the domain, for f(x,y)=2cos(4x+y2) to have a range of [-2,2], (4x +y2 must be 0 or π. How do I express the domain in terms of x and y?
The domain for (b) as provided by the answer is R2(xy-plane).
The notation ##[-2,2]## means the entire interval between ##-2## and ##2##, including the endpoints. It does not mean just the two points ##-2## and ##2##.

jbunniii said:
OK. Can it equal 1?

Yes it can.
jbunniii said:
No, this is not equivalent at all. What is the region defined by ##x^2 + y^2 < 1##? What is its shape?

Strange, but the answer states it is...

It's a "dashed circle" with radius smaller than 1

The notation ##[-2,2]## means the entire interval between ##-2## and ##2##, including the endpoints. It does not mean just the two points ##-2## and ##2##.[/QUOTE]

I know.

negation said:
Yes it can. Strange, but the answer states it is...

It's a "dashed circle" with radius smaller than 1
Well, that's almost correct, but as you said, ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## is allowed, so the circle itself is included in the domain.

But how does that relate to the answer you gave previously?
Why is this so?

Regarding the second part, I assumed you were interpreting ##[-2,2]## to mean the set containing just the points ##-2## and ##2##, because you said that the argument must be either ##0## or ##\pi##. Since you know what ##[-2,2]## means, I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Is there any value of ##4x+y^2## which results in ##2\cos(4x+y^2)## being greater than ##2## or less than ##-2##?

jbunniii said:
Well, that's almost correct, but as you said, ##x^2 + y^2 = 1## is allowed, so the circle itself is included in the domain.

But how does that relate to the answer you gave previously?Regarding the second part, I assumed you were interpreting ##[-2,2]## to mean the set containing just the points ##-2## and ##2##, because you said that the argument must be either ##0## or ##\pi##. Since you know what ##[-2,2]## means, I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Is there any value of ##4x+y^2## which results in ##2\cos(4x+y^2)## being greater than ##2## or less than ##-2##?

I'm not exactly sure cause the system is giving me erratic answer.

When I did the same question using the answer it reflected originally, it reported that my answer was wrong.

In response to part(a):
my answer is "The disk with radius 1 and center (0,0)" for the domain and "(−∞,0]" for the range.

jbunniii said:
Regarding the second part, I assumed you were interpreting ##[-2,2]## to mean the set containing just the points ##-2## and ##2##, because you said that the argument must be either ##0## or ##\pi##. Since you know what ##[-2,2]## means, I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Is there any value of ##4x+y^2## which results in ##2\cos(4x+y^2)## being greater than ##2## or less than ##-2##?

I am unsure. Could you point me in the right direction?

negation said:
I am unsure. Could you point me in the right direction?
What is the range of possible values of ##\cos(\theta)##, where ##\theta## can be any real number?

jbunniii said:
What is the range of possible values of ##\cos(\theta)##, where ##\theta## can be any real number?

How is my answer to part(a)?
Cos(Θ) has a range of [-1,1]

negation said:
How is my answer to part(a)?
What is your final answer for (a)?

Cos(Θ) has a range of [-1,1]
Good, so ##2\cos(\theta)## has a range of ##[-2,2]##, and ##\theta## can be anything. So what are the domain and range of ##2\cos(4x + y^2)##?

Sorry, just noticed your answer for (a)

In response to part(a):
my answer is "The disk with radius 1 and center (0,0)" for the domain and "(−∞,0]" for the range.
For the domain, you may want to explicitly state that it's the closed disk of radius 1 and center (0,0). The range is wrong: does the square root give you a negative result?

jbunniii said:
What is your final answer for (a)?

Good, so ##2\cos(\theta)## has a range of ##[-2,2]##, and ##\theta## can be anything. So what are the domain and range of ##2\cos(4x + y^2)##?

my answer for (a) is "The disk with radius 1 and center (0,0)" for the domain and "(−∞,0]" for the range.

In response to (b): The domain for cos(4x +y2) is any real number on the xy-plane.
And it's range is [-1,1]-min bound of -1 with max bound of 1.
Since the question asked for the domain and range of 2 cos(4x +y2),
the domain is any real number on the xy-plane. The range is the interval [-2,2]-min at -2, max at 2

jbunniii said:
Sorry, just noticed your answer for (a)

For the domain, you may want to explicitly state that it's the closed disk of radius 1 and center (0,0). The range is wrong: does the square root give you a negative result?

Apparently, there's no option for a CLOSED disk. Yes the range is wrong. It should be [0,+ve infinity]. Brain isn't really working well at 2am.

negation said:
Apparently, there's no option for a CLOSED disk.
In some contexts, a domain is required to be an open set, so if ##D## is the set of all allowable values, we take the domain to be the largest open set contained in ##D##. This is called the interior of ##D## and is usually denoted ##\text{int}(D)## or ##D^o##. Perhaps that is the intent in your situation? Or maybe there's just an error in the set of possible answers.

What is meant by "range and domains" in scientific explanations?

"Range and domains" refer to the scope and limits of a particular scientific concept or theory. The range is the set of values or conditions in which the concept or theory applies, while the domain is the set of all possible values or conditions that the concept or theory can be applied to.

Why is it important to consider range and domains when explaining scientific concepts?

Considering the range and domains of a scientific concept allows for a more precise and accurate explanation. It helps to avoid extrapolating or generalizing beyond what is supported by evidence, and ensures that the concept is correctly applied to different contexts or situations.

How do scientists determine the range and domains of a scientific concept?

Scientists use a combination of experimental data, observations, and theoretical models to determine the range and domains of a scientific concept. This involves testing the concept in various conditions and comparing the results to see where it applies and where it does not.

Can the range and domains of a scientific concept change over time?

Yes, the range and domains of a scientific concept can change as new evidence is discovered or as our understanding of the concept evolves. As scientists continue to study and refine their theories, the range and domains may be expanded or narrowed to better fit the available evidence.

What are the potential implications of not considering range and domains when explaining scientific concepts?

Not considering range and domains can lead to misunderstandings or misinterpretations of scientific concepts. It can also result in incorrect applications of the concept, leading to inaccurate conclusions and potentially hindering future research and progress in the field.