Explanation of Eq of Peskin's Intro to QFT Book

In summary, the conversation is discussing the simplification of the long equation of the commutator to a delta distribution, where the term \sqrt{\frac{\omega_p_'}{\omega_p}} disappears due to p and p' being equal. The conversation ends with a thank you to the participants.
beta3
Hi

Can someone please explain to me Eq 2.30 in Schroeder's and Peskin's book? (page 21)

how does he simplify the long equation of the commutator to this delta distribution?
[tex]\imath\delta^(^3^)\ (x - x') [/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
beta3 said:
how does he simplify the long equation of the commutator to this delta distribution?
[tex]\imath\delta^(^3^)\ (x - x') [/tex]

He starts with:

[tex][a_{\textbf p},a_{\textbf p'}^{\sp\dagger}]=(2\pi)^3\delta^{(3)}(\textbf p-\textbf p')[/tex]

This means that:

[tex][a_{-\textbf p}^{\sp\dagger},a_{\textbf p'}]-[a_{\textbf p},a_{-\textbf p'}^{\sp\dagger}]=-2(2\pi)^3\delta^{(3)}(\textbf p+\textbf p')[/tex]

Substituting this in and integrating over the delta function (i.e. replacing p with -p'), you get:

[tex]i\int \frac{d^3p'}{(2\pi)^3}e^{i\textbf p'(\textbf x'-\textbf x)}[/tex]

which is just i times the inverse Fourier transform of [itex]e^{i\textbf p'\textbf x'}[/itex]:

[tex][\phi(\textbf x),\pi(\textbf x')]=i\delta^{(3)}(\textbf x-\textbf x')[/tex]

Last edited:
thanks, but there's one thing i still don't understand

after substituting it in and then if you integrate, what happens to the term
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{\omega_p_'}{\omega_p}} [/tex]

beta3 said:
thanks, but there's one thing i still don't understand

after substituting it in and then if you integrate, what happens to the term
[tex] \sqrt{\frac{\omega_p_'}{\omega_p}} [/tex]

since p = p' (where by p I mean the magnituide of the three-vector), the two omegas are equal.

Pat

nrqed said:
since p = p' (where by p I mean the magnituide of the three-vector), the two omegas are equal.

Pat

ah, yeah, now everything makes sense

Thank you two both soo much :wink:

Related to Explanation of Eq of Peskin's Intro to QFT Book

1. What is the main purpose of Peskin's Intro to QFT book?

The main purpose of Peskin's Intro to QFT book is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to quantum field theory (QFT) for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics. It covers the fundamental concepts and mathematical techniques of QFT, as well as their applications in various areas of particle physics and cosmology.

2. Who is this book intended for?

This book is primarily intended for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in physics who have a strong background in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It can also be a useful reference for researchers and practitioners in the field of particle physics and cosmology.

3. What is the level of mathematical rigor in this book?

This book strikes a good balance between mathematical rigor and physical intuition. It presents the necessary mathematics and mathematical techniques in a clear and concise manner, but also emphasizes the physical concepts and interpretations behind them. Some mathematical background in complex analysis, group theory, and tensor calculus is assumed, but the book provides a brief review of these topics in the beginning chapters.

4. Can this book be used as a standalone resource for learning QFT?

Yes, this book can be used as a standalone resource for learning QFT. It covers all the essential topics and techniques in QFT, and provides detailed explanations and derivations of important equations. However, it is always beneficial to supplement your learning with other resources, such as lectures, problem sets, and additional textbooks.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading this book?

Yes, there are some prerequisites for reading this book. As mentioned before, a strong background in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics is necessary. Additionally, some familiarity with special relativity and the Dirac equation is helpful. It is also recommended to have knowledge of basic concepts in particle physics, such as quantum numbers and symmetries.