Explanation of Multiverse Past in Quantum Mechanics

In summary: I would be interested in reading them if you know where I could find them.In summary, Brian Greene explains how in the multiverse view, if you traveled back to the past, you would have gone back to a past in a parallel universe and so any changes you would make in the parallel past would not affect the universe in which you came from. He also explains that the past is unalterable and that any actions you take in the past, happened originally and so you were just fulfilling your "destiny" or rather committing the same actions that you had already done in the past, even if it was before your birth, etc. These two ideas made me wonder if the combination of these ideas has already been thought of, if
IndiaNut92
Hi-
I recently read Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos which led me to think of an interesting concept that I would appreciate further explanation on. On page 456 Greene describes how in the multiverse view, if you traveled back to the past, you would have gone back to a past in a parallel universe and so any changes you would make in the parallel past would not affect the universe in which you came from.
Another theory he explained is that the past is unalterable and that any actions you take in the past, happened originally and so you were just fulfilling your "destiny" or rather committing the same actions that you had already done in the past, even if it was before your birth, etc.
These two ideas made me wonder: For example, in the double slit experiment, when an unobserved photon passes through, it appears in a wave pattern, however when it is observed, the probability wave collapses and it becomes a point particle. I am curious as to if this explanation can also work for both theories of time travel.
Since there are many parallel universes in the multiverse that we are not physically conscious of, could this be the "wave," similar to the photon? Likewise by going into the past, which would be "unchangeable" would this probability wave shrink, leaving us as the point particle so to speak, which would mean this past that we were conscious of could only have one outcome that we couldn't change.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I've done my best to describe this idea, jumbled as it may be. I appreciate your time in trying to explain if the combination of these ideas has already been thought of, if they're totally crazy or wrong, or just any comments or concerns in general. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
good book..one of my favorites...

These two ideas made me wonder: For example, in the double slit experiment, when an unobserved photon passes through, it appears in a wave pattern, however when it is observed, the probability wave collapses and it becomes a point particle. I am curious as to if this explanation can also work for both theories of time travel.
maybe: Brian Greene says this in the same Chapter

We might one day find...that the act of conscious observation is an integral element of quantum mechanics, being the catalyst that coaxes one outcome from the quantum hze to be realized."

Since there are many parallel universes in the multiverse that we are not physically conscious of, could this be the "wave," similar to the photon?

Stephen Hawking has treated the entire universe as a quantum system...and a wave... in some of his analytical work. I think he used "imaginary" time...and the approach did not gain wide aceptance nor favor...

Thanks for the answer. Can you give me any links to or further reading on Hawking's analytical work that dealt with this? Also, what did he mean by "imaginary time". Many Thanks!

Related to Explanation of Multiverse Past in Quantum Mechanics

1. What is the multiverse theory?

The multiverse theory is a concept in quantum mechanics which suggests that there are multiple parallel universes existing alongside our own. It states that every possible outcome of a quantum event actually occurs, resulting in multiple parallel realities. This theory is still a topic of debate among scientists and has not yet been proven.

2. Is there any evidence for the existence of multiverses?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence for the existence of multiverses. The theory is based on mathematical models and interpretations of quantum mechanics. Some scientists argue that the theory cannot be tested and therefore cannot be proven or disproven.

3. How does the multiverse theory explain the past in quantum mechanics?

The multiverse theory offers a possible explanation for the uncertainty and randomness observed in quantum mechanics. It suggests that all possible outcomes of a quantum event occur in different parallel universes, with each universe following a different path in time. This could potentially explain the seemingly random nature of quantum events in our own universe.

4. Can we ever prove the existence of multiverses?

As of now, it is impossible to prove the existence of multiverses. The theory is still speculative and there is no way to access or observe other parallel universes. However, advancements in technology and scientific understanding may eventually lead to methods of testing this theory.

5. How does the concept of multiverses impact our understanding of the universe?

The idea of multiverses challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and the concept of reality. It suggests that there are infinite possibilities and versions of reality beyond our own universe. This can lead to philosophical and existential questions about our place in the universe and the nature of reality itself.