Explanation of uniform topology theorem in Munkres

In summary, the uniform topology is defined as a topology that is finer than the product topology and coarser than the box topology. The theorem states that all three topologies are different if ##J## is infinite.
mathmonkey
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help in understanding one of the theorems stated in section 20 of Munkres. The theorem is as follows:

The uniform topology on ##\mathbb{R}^J## (where ##J## is some arbitrary index set) is finer than the product topology and coarser than the box topology; these three topologies are all different if ##J## is infinite.

This theorem seems to break down into two cases: ##J## finite, or ##J## infinite. In the case that ##J## is finite, aren't the box and product topologies equivalent? Hence it seems like the first sentence of the theorem can be strengthened to say all three topologies are equivalent?

For the second case, if ##J## is infinite, I thought that the box topology is finer than the product topology, since the product topology has the restriction that for each basis element, only finitely many of each of the ##\mathbb{R}_i## are open such that they are not equal to ##\mathbb{R}_i## itself, whereas the box topology does not have this restriction. So I'm not sure I understand why these topologies are different in the case that ##J## is infinite? All the statements in this theorem seem to contradict what I understood from the previous chapter on product topologies.

Any help explaining the theorem is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmonkey said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help in understanding one of the theorems stated in section 20 of Munkres. The theorem is as follows:

The uniform topology on ##\mathbb{R}^J## (where ##J## is some arbitrary index set) is finer than the product topology and coarser than the box topology; these three topologies are all different if ##J## is infinite.

This theorem seems to break down into two cases: ##J## finite, or ##J## infinite. In the case that ##J## is finite, aren't the box and product topologies equivalent? Hence it seems like the first sentence of the theorem can be strengthened to say all three topologies are equivalent?

Correct.

For the second case, if ##J## is infinite, I thought that the box topology is finer than the product topology, since the product topology has the restriction that for each basis element, only finitely many of each of the ##\mathbb{R}_i## are open such that they are not equal to ##\mathbb{R}_i## itself, whereas the box topology does not have this restriction.

Correct.

So what we're claiming is that the box topology is finer than the uniform topology, and that the uniform topology is finer than the product topology.

Oh...I could've sworn I read somewhere earlier in the text that two topologies are defined to be different if neither is finer or coarser than the other. So I suppose "different" in this case just means they are not equal?

I guess I just bashed my head over the table for an hour over misunderstanding of wording then :redface: . At least its good to see my previous understanding of the topic wasn't wrong though.

Just curious, I don't have Munkres --nor his book :) --with me. Is the uniform topology

the topology of uniform convergence in function spaces?

The uniform topology theorem in Munkres states that the uniform topology on ##\mathbb{R}^J##, where ##J## is an arbitrary index set, is finer than the product topology and coarser than the box topology. This means that the uniform topology contains more open sets than the product topology, but fewer open sets than the box topology. These three topologies are only different when ##J## is infinite.

In the case where ##J## is finite, the box topology and product topology are equivalent, as you mentioned. Therefore, the first sentence of the theorem can be strengthened to say that all three topologies are equivalent.

However, in the case where ##J## is infinite, the box and product topologies are not equivalent. This is because the product topology has the restriction that only finitely many of each ##\mathbb{R}_i## are open in each basis element, while the box topology does not have this restriction. This means that the box topology contains more open sets than the product topology, and therefore, the uniform topology (which is finer than the product topology) must also contain more open sets than the box topology. This is why the three topologies are different in the case where ##J## is infinite.

I hope this helps to clarify the theorem for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is the Uniform Topology Theorem in Munkres?

The Uniform Topology Theorem in Munkres is a mathematical theorem that states that given a topological space X, the uniform topology on X is the coarsest topology for which all continuous functions on X are uniformly continuous.

2. Why is the Uniform Topology Theorem important?

The Uniform Topology Theorem is important because it provides a way to construct the uniform topology on a given space, which is a useful tool in many areas of mathematics and physics. It also helps to understand the properties and behavior of uniform spaces and their corresponding uniform topologies.

3. What is the difference between uniform continuity and continuity?

Uniform continuity and continuity are two different concepts in topology. Continuity refers to the property of a function where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. Uniform continuity, on the other hand, requires that no matter how small the change in the input, there is a corresponding small change in the output. In other words, uniform continuity guarantees that the function is continuous across the entire space, not just at individual points.

4. How is the Uniform Topology Theorem proved?

The Uniform Topology Theorem is typically proved using the concept of uniform convergence of sequences. It involves showing that the uniform topology is indeed the coarsest topology that makes all continuous functions uniformly continuous. This proof can be found in many topology textbooks, including Munkres' "Topology: A First Course".

5. Can the Uniform Topology Theorem be applied to non-uniform spaces?

No, the Uniform Topology Theorem only applies to uniform spaces, which are a special type of topological space with additional structure that allows for the definition of uniform continuity. Non-uniform spaces do not have this structure and therefore the theorem does not apply.