Explore Beal's Conjecture: A Number Theory Challenge

• MHB
  • Thread starter sh911098
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Beal's conjecture, a problem in number theory that has not yet been proven or disproven. It is seen as a generalization of Fermat's last theorem and has caught the interest of many mathematicians and scientists. The timeline for finding a proof or counterexample is uncertain, but the use of programming and collaboration may aid in the search. The conversation concludes with an invitation to discuss the basic ideas and programming details of the project and to involve more people in the pursuit of knowledge.
sh911098
I’m a number theory lover but not an expert in the area. Recently, motivated by the report of Peter Norvig, Director of Research at Google, I’m interested in searching for counterexamples of Beal’s conjecture.

Billionaire banker Andrew Beal formulated this conjecture in 1993. For a proof or counterexample published in a refereed journal, Beal initially offered a prize of US dollar 5,000 in 1997, but raised it to 1,000,000 this Jun.

Beal’s conjecture is that if

Ax + By = Cz.

where A, B, C, x, y, and z are positive integers with x, y, z > 2, then A, B, and C have a common prime factor.

The conjecture is very understandable. Below are a few positive examples
33 + 63 = 35
where A = 3, B = 6, C = 3, x = 3, y = 3, z = 5; A, B, C have a common prime factor 3.
76 + 77 = 983
where common prime factor is 7. Actually we always have
[A(Am + Bm)]m + [B(Am + Bm)]m = (Am + Bm)m+1
where A, B > 0, and m > 2.

However, followings are negative examples:
2713+23×35×733 = 9193 = 776151559
34×293×893+73×113×1673=27×54×3593=3518958160000
because the conjecture requires A, B, and C each has their own exponent, the two equations do not fulfill the requirement.Beal’s conjecture is a generation of Fermat’s last theorem, which has been proved by Andrew Willes in 1995. The theorem says

An + Bn = Cn

has no solution of positive integers when n > 2. Every one understands the theorem is just a special case of Beal’s conjecture with x=y=z.

It took more than three hundreds years to get complete solution of Fermat’s last theorem.

How many years will be needed to have a proof or a counterexample of Beal’s conjecture? Nobody knows.

Do you have courage and interest to face the challenge? To me it is too hard to prove it. But I found it is not difficult to develop a program for the job, and I did one much fast than that used by Peter Norvig.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss basic idea and programming details of the project, and to associate as more as possible people, search as wide as possible.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your interest in Beal's conjecture and your efforts to search for counterexamples. As a fellow number theory lover, I appreciate your enthusiasm and dedication to this topic.

Beal's conjecture is indeed a fascinating problem that has caught the attention of many mathematicians and scientists. It is often referred to as a "generalization" of Fermat's last theorem, as you mentioned in your post. However, it is worth noting that it is still an open problem and has not been proven or disproven yet.

As for how long it will take to find a proof or counterexample, it is difficult to say. It could take years, decades, or even longer. It ultimately depends on the progress and efforts of researchers and scientists like yourself. But regardless of the timeline, I believe that the pursuit of knowledge and understanding is always worth the effort.

I also appreciate your suggestion to use programming to aid in the search for counterexamples. In today's world, where technology is advancing at a rapid pace, it is important to utilize all available tools to tackle complex problems like this one. I encourage you to continue your work and to collaborate with others who share your interest in this topic.

I, too, am not an expert in this area, but I am always eager to learn and contribute in any way I can. I look forward to following this thread and participating in discussions about the basic ideas and programming details of this project. Let's continue to spread the word and involve more people in this exciting endeavor.

1. What is Beal's Conjecture?

Beal's Conjecture is a mathematical problem proposed by American banker Andrew Beal in 1993. It states that for any three positive integers a, b, and c where a, b, and c are coprime (they share no common factors), if ax + by = cz where x, y, and z are all integers greater than 2, then a, b, and c must have a common prime factor.

2. Why is Beal's Conjecture significant?

If proven, Beal's Conjecture would have significant implications in number theory and could potentially lead to new discoveries and applications in mathematics. It is also closely related to other famous unsolved problems, such as Fermat's Last Theorem.

3. How do I participate in Explore Beal's Conjecture?

To participate in Explore Beal's Conjecture, you can visit the official website and register as a user. You will then have access to the problem statement, resources, and discussion forums where you can collaborate with other mathematicians and contribute to solving the conjecture.

4. Has anyone solved Beal's Conjecture?

No, as of 2021, Beal's Conjecture has not been proven or disproven. Many mathematicians and enthusiasts have attempted to solve it, but the conjecture remains unsolved.

5. Are there any rewards for solving Beal's Conjecture?

There is currently no official reward for solving Beal's Conjecture. However, solving this long-standing problem in mathematics would bring significant recognition and prestige to the individual or team who solves it.