Explore the Universe with Galaxy Zoo

In summary: I've done 405 and am taking a break. I've seen a few with red splotches that could be small galaxies and a few with blue blobs that could be stars. Most are easy, but some are difficult to tell what's a spiral arm and what isn't.In summary, Galaxy Zoo is a project that enlists the help of the public to classify galaxies by providing images for people to view and classify based on spiral:elliptical ratio and other features. The project has gained attention from BBC Radio 4 and has received positive feedback for its unique approach to involve the public in science. The project also takes into account multiple opinions for a single galaxy to ensure accuracy in classification. Some participants have completed hundreds of classifications and have
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This is very cool. I'm moving it to Astronomy with a redirect from here.

Does look interesting, I will do a few. =-)

edit: The real images can be very hard to classify. I am guessing they mainly want a spiral:elliptical ratio at differing distances, the spin on most of the spiral galaxies is quite hard to determine - for me anyways.

Last edited:
What a great idea to get the public involved in science. Shame it went out on BBC radio 4. :-p

I got about 10 tabs going since it takes a bit to load each picture. I have probably done 500 now. Zzzz lol

Well here is the nicest picture I came across:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8127/nicecb9.jpg Just a star that got in the way, but a nice looking one. :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done about a dozen. I hope they show the same galaxy to 3 people and take the majority opinion.

jimmysnyder said:
I've done about a dozen. I hope they show the same galaxy to 3 people and take the majority opinion.

I'm pretty sure they do something like that. I agree it's needed. From my first 20 or 30, I'd say about 70% are pretty clear, 20% I have a good guess, and about 10% are really mystifying. Some of these hard ones are definitely not stars, but I am tempted to click star/don't know cause they really are don't knows, at least to me.
Jim Graber

Related to Explore the Universe with Galaxy Zoo

1. What is Galaxy Zoo?

Galaxy Zoo is an online citizen science project that allows members of the public to contribute to real scientific research by classifying galaxies and identifying patterns in astronomical data.

2. How does Galaxy Zoo work?

Galaxy Zoo presents users with images of galaxies and asks them to classify them based on their shape and features. These classifications are then used by scientists to better understand the evolution and properties of galaxies.

3. Who can participate in Galaxy Zoo?

Anyone with an internet connection can participate in Galaxy Zoo. The project is open to people of all ages and backgrounds, and no prior scientific knowledge is required.

4. What are the benefits of participating in Galaxy Zoo?

Participating in Galaxy Zoo allows individuals to contribute to real scientific research and make a meaningful impact in the field of astronomy. It also provides an opportunity to learn about galaxies and the universe.

5. How can I get involved in Galaxy Zoo?

To get involved in Galaxy Zoo, simply visit the project's website and follow the instructions to start classifying galaxies. You can also join the Galaxy Zoo forum to connect with other participants and discuss the project.