Exploring a Computational Mathematics Graduate Program

In summary, the speaker is planning to pursue a graduate degree in math, specifically in computational mathematics. They are unsure of the exact scope of computational mathematics but have taken a numerical analysis course and have programming experience. They are curious about the curriculum and content of different computational mathematics graduate programs and have found information on various university websites.
trickslapper
I am going to graduate school for math and i think i am interested in computational mathematics (I say think because i don't fully know what computational math is). I have taken a numerical analysis class in my undergraduate program and i can program in a few different languages.

I'm just wondering what different people think is included in a computational mathematics graduate program?

Physics news on Phys.org

A Google search for "ms computational mathematics" gives me the web sites of a number of such programs. The first one is Johns Hopkins, which has a link to "detailed program and course information." I didn't look at any of the other sites, but I expect they contain similar information.

Related to Exploring a Computational Mathematics Graduate Program

1. What is a computational mathematics graduate program?

A computational mathematics graduate program is a program that focuses on the use of mathematical methods and computer science techniques to solve real-world problems. It combines concepts from mathematics, computer science, and engineering to develop computational models and algorithms that can be used to analyze and solve complex problems in various fields such as finance, engineering, and science.

2. What are the prerequisites for a computational mathematics graduate program?

The prerequisites for a computational mathematics graduate program may vary depending on the specific program and university. Generally, a strong foundation in mathematics and computer science is required, along with proficiency in programming languages such as C++, Java, or Python. Some programs may also require applicants to have a background in statistics and linear algebra.

3. What career opportunities are available with a degree in computational mathematics?

Graduates of a computational mathematics program can pursue various careers in industries such as finance, technology, healthcare, and aerospace. They can work as data analysts, quantitative analysts, software developers, or research scientists. They may also find employment in government agencies, research institutions, or academia.

4. Is a computational mathematics graduate program suitable for someone with a non-mathematics background?

While a strong background in mathematics and computer science is typically required for a computational mathematics program, some programs may offer prerequisite courses to help students from non-mathematics backgrounds catch up. It is important to check with the specific program to determine if it is a good fit for your background and goals.

5. How can I prepare for a computational mathematics graduate program?

To prepare for a computational mathematics graduate program, you can start by strengthening your mathematical and programming skills. You can also gain experience by working on projects or internships related to computational mathematics. Familiarizing yourself with software commonly used in the field, such as MATLAB or R, can also be helpful. Additionally, reaching out to current students or alumni of the program can give you insight into the program and help you prepare for it.