Exploring a Negative Y-Intercept in Copper Resistance Measurements

In summary: Your name]In summary, the forum poster has shared their findings from a recent lab experiment where they measured the resistance of copper as a function of length. They plotted a graph and found that the slope of the best fit line is equal to the resistivity of copper, but their y-intercept is not ideal and is instead negative. They have considered possible explanations such as contact resistance, measurement error, and temperature variations, and will take these into account for future experiments.
tatiana_eggs

Homework Statement

In our lab recently we measured the resistance of copper as a function of length. I plotted a graph with resistance as the dependent variable and length/area as the independent variable. I know the slope of the best fit line is equal to the resistivity of copper and that my ideal y-intercept is to be zero using the four-point probe technique.

My question is with the meaning of my y-intercept. The equation of the best fit line gives me a negative y-intercept. I want to comment on possible error or meaning behind this negative y-intercept but I am not sure what it means. Does it have something to do with contact resistance? I know when measuring using two probes the y-intercept would be equal to the sum of the contact resistances.

Homework Equations

Here is the equation of my best fit line: 1.76 x 10^-5 ohm-mm - .01309 ohms
Known resistivity of copper: 1.70 x 10^-5 ohm-mm

The Attempt at a Solution

A concern during the lab was making sure to scrape off all of the insulation surrounding the copper wire before taking resistance meausrements, so I realize why my slope or resistivity is a little high. Would this somehow affect my y-intercept as well?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your findings and questions regarding your recent lab measurements of copper resistance. Based on the information provided, it is clear that your y-intercept is not ideal and is in fact negative. This could be due to several factors, including contact resistance, as you mentioned. Contact resistance occurs when there is imperfect contact between the probes and the copper wire, leading to an increase in resistance. This could explain why your y-intercept is not zero and is instead negative.

Another possible explanation for the negative y-intercept could be due to measurement error or inconsistencies in the experimental setup. It is important to ensure that all insulation is removed from the copper wire before taking measurements, as any residual insulation can affect the resistance readings. Additionally, small variations in the experimental setup or measurement technique can also contribute to a negative y-intercept.

It is also worth noting that the resistivity of copper is affected by temperature, so if the temperature of the wire was not controlled during the experiment, this could also lead to a deviation from the expected y-intercept.

In conclusion, the negative y-intercept in your best fit line could be due to a combination of factors such as contact resistance, measurement error, and temperature variations. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors in future experiments to obtain more accurate and consistent results.

Best of luck with your future experiments.

1. What is a negative y-intercept in copper resistance measurements?

A negative y-intercept in copper resistance measurements is a point on a graph where the line representing the relationship between copper resistance and temperature crosses the y-axis at a negative value. This value indicates the resistance of copper at a temperature of 0 Kelvin, which is not physically possible.

2. Why is it important to explore negative y-intercepts in copper resistance measurements?

Exploring negative y-intercepts in copper resistance measurements can help scientists better understand the behavior of copper as a conductor. It can also provide insights into potential errors or anomalies in the data and inform future experiments or studies.

3. What factors can contribute to a negative y-intercept in copper resistance measurements?

There are several factors that can contribute to a negative y-intercept in copper resistance measurements, including measurement errors, environmental factors, and the presence of impurities or defects in the copper sample. Other factors such as the type of measurement equipment and methodology used can also play a role.

4. How can negative y-intercepts in copper resistance measurements be minimized or eliminated?

To minimize or eliminate negative y-intercepts in copper resistance measurements, it is important to carefully control and monitor all experimental variables, such as temperature, sample purity, and measurement techniques. Additionally, using multiple data points and replicating experiments can help identify and correct for any errors or anomalies in the data.

5. Are there any potential applications or implications of exploring negative y-intercepts in copper resistance measurements?

Studying negative y-intercepts in copper resistance measurements can have potential applications in fields such as materials science and engineering, where copper is commonly used as a conductor. It can also have implications for understanding and improving the accuracy of temperature measurement techniques and equipment.