Exploring Antimatter Universes

• B
  • Thread starter Quarker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antimatter
Thanks.Thread will remain closed.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a "mirror universe" and its properties, specifically whether a black hole in this universe would have different properties in a hypothetical antimatter version of the universe. The conversation also explores the idea of a "two sided quantum field" and its potential effects on the behavior of black holes. However, the lack of a mathematical model for these hypothetical scenarios makes it difficult to answer the questions posed. The thread has been locked pending moderation actions.
Quarker
Also assuming the two universes were made of the antimatter versions of themselves

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "a mirror universe"?

If you just mean "a universe in which the proportions of matter and antimatter are reversed with respect to this universe but the laws of physics are otherwise the same" then black holes would be no different.

Note that this answer is conditional on the assumption that you can just reverse the proportions of matter and antimatter. We don't know why they are what they are, so we don't know if you can have a universe with different proportions or not.

Ibix said:
If you just mean "a universe in which the proportions of matter and antimatter are reversed with respect to this universe but the laws of physics are otherwise the same" then black holes would be no different.

Note that this answer is conditional on the assumption that you can just reverse the proportions of matter and antimatter. We don't know why they are what they are, so we don't know if you can have a universe with different proportions or not.
Assuming otherwise identical but mirror image, antimatter universes. If you could only observe the properties of one of the black holes, could you tell which universe you were in?

You still haven't said what you mean by "mirror". Do you just mean a universe with swapped amounts of matter and antimatter? Or something else?

Ibix said:
You still haven't said what you mean by "mirror". Do you just mean a universe with swapped amounts of matter and antimatter? Or something else?
Assume a two sided quantum field, so that every action in one universe has an equal but antimatter equivalent in the other, but they are divided by a quantum wall, so to speak. If you were observing a black hole in only one of the universes, is there a property it would have that would tell you which universe you were in?

Can you provide a reference where I can read about a "two sided quantum field"?

Likes Dale
Ibix said:
Can you provide a reference where I can read about a "two sided quantum field"?
No, it’s hypothetical. That’s why I started the post with the word assuming.

Quarker said:
it’s hypothetical
hypothetical garbage

Likes weirdoguy
Quarker said:
No, it’s hypothetical. That’s why I started the post with the word assuming.
So you've asked me to imagine something you made up, that doesn't have any mathematical model backing it.

That's like me asking you for details of the lifecycle of a glerk. What's a glerk? Well, I've just made it up and there's nothing but the name and an implication that it's a lifeform of some kind. How is anyone supposed to answer a question like that?

Likes Vanadium 50 and Orodruin
ergospherical said:
hypothetical garbage
So what. It’s the properties of the black holes I’m wondering about. If you don’t know, feel free to say so.

Let me feel free to say that your thread is now locked, pending Moderation actions (not against the other posters)...

Thread will remain closed. @Quarker -- please check your PMs.

Last edited:

1. What is antimatter and how is it different from regular matter?

Antimatter is a type of matter that has the same mass and opposite charge as regular matter. This means that it is made up of particles called antiparticles, such as antiprotons and antielectrons (also known as positrons). When matter and antimatter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. How is antimatter created and where can it be found?

Antimatter can be created through various natural processes, such as cosmic rays colliding with particles in the atmosphere. It can also be produced in laboratories using particle accelerators. Small amounts of antimatter can be found in the universe, such as in the Van Allen radiation belts around Earth, but it is generally very rare and difficult to find in large quantities.

3. What is the potential of exploring antimatter universes?

Exploring antimatter universes could potentially provide us with a better understanding of the laws of physics and the origins of the universe. It could also lead to advancements in energy production and space travel, as antimatter has the potential to produce a much larger amount of energy compared to regular matter.

4. How do scientists study antimatter universes?

Scientists study antimatter universes by creating and manipulating small amounts of antimatter in laboratories. They also use telescopes and other instruments to observe and study natural sources of antimatter in the universe. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to study the behavior of antimatter in different environments.

5. What are the potential challenges and risks of exploring antimatter universes?

One of the main challenges of exploring antimatter universes is the difficulty in producing and containing large amounts of antimatter. There is also a risk of accidental annihilation, which could release a large amount of energy and cause damage. Additionally, the cost and technological limitations of conducting experiments and observations in space could also be a challenge.