Exploring Centrifugal Propulsion: Demystifying the Mechanics and Misconceptions

In summary, the conversation involves someone searching for videos on centrifugal propulsion on YouTube and finding poorly made videos of vehicles shaking back and forth. They are confused about what they are seeing and wondering if it relates to perpetual motion or some sort of reactionless drive. The expert summarizer advises to simply ignore these videos as they are impossible and go against the laws of physics. The thread has been locked due to the discussion of pseudo-science.
JTC
Hi

I am spending time on youtube looking at videos that come up when I search "Centrifugal propulsion"

(No need for me to pick a few, you can do a search and see lots.)

Most of the videos look poorly made. All show some sort of "vehicle." But the "vehicle" jitters back and forth.

I am trying to first get an understanding of what this is all about.

What is going on here? What are all these people trying to say?

Doesn't one still have to get the masses up and spinning? Are they trying to get at some sort of perpetual motion device? I am just confused at what I am seeing.

Does anyone have a simple reference so that, before I even start looking at the physics, I can understand what the issue is?

Engineering news on Phys.org
JTC said:
I am trying to first get an understanding of what this is all about.

What is going on here? What are all these people trying to say?

Doesn't one still have to get the masses up and spinning? Are they trying to get at some sort of perpetual motion device? I am just confused at what I am seeing.

It's nonsense, pure and simple. Centrifugal propulsion is impossible and I highly recommend simply ignoring these videos, as they will do nothing but confuse you. Any sort of reactionless drive is a violation of the laws of physics and nothing but a pipe dream.

Thread locked since we don't discuss pseudo-science like this here at PF.

1. What is centrifugal propulsion?

Centrifugal propulsion is a method of propulsion that uses centrifugal forces to generate thrust. It involves the rotation of a body or a series of bodies, which creates a difference in pressure between the front and back of the body, resulting in a net thrust force.

2. How does centrifugal propulsion work?

Centrifugal propulsion works by using the principle of centrifugal force, which is the force that acts on an object when it is moving in a circular path. In this case, the rotating body or bodies create a difference in pressure, which results in a net thrust force in the direction of the rotation.

3. What are the applications of centrifugal propulsion?

Centrifugal propulsion has various applications in the aerospace industry, including rocket engines, jet engines, and propellers. It is also used in some types of pumps, turbines, and fans.

4. What are some common misconceptions about centrifugal propulsion?

One common misconception about centrifugal propulsion is that it requires a vacuum environment to work. In reality, it can work in both atmospheric and vacuum conditions. Another misconception is that it is only used in space travel, when in fact it has many other applications on Earth.

5. How does centrifugal propulsion compare to other methods of propulsion?

Compared to other methods of propulsion, centrifugal propulsion has several advantages, including simplicity, high efficiency, and the ability to produce high thrust-to-weight ratios. However, it also has limitations, such as the need for high rotational speeds and the potential for instability at high speeds.