Exploring Co-Phasal Wave Fronts in Fizeau Interferometry

Ahmed123
TL;DR Summary
Question and discussion about wave fronts and phases of the rays at the Fizeau interferometer
I am studying Fizeau analysis for wedge problem. I reached to this part and I cant follow. I have two questions and any help will be appreciated
1) what is meant by co-phasal wave fronts? does it mean that they have the same phase? ( how can I Think about the wave fronts in this case)
2) why the pass difference between the two rays is calculated by this formula?

image.PNG

Thanks in advance

Science news on Phys.org
Ahmed123 said:
TL;DR Summary: Question and discussion about wave fronts and phases of the rays at the Fizeau interferometer

what is meant by co-phasal wave fronts?
It means that the waves emerging along both paths are in phase. That will happen when the lengths of the two paths differ by a whole number of wavelengths. So the distance travelled in the diagram between the blue exit point and the red exit point will be one, two three . . . . whole wavelengths. The term is "Path Difference" and not 'pass difference' (translation problem, no doubt).

An easier example to start with is when the plates are parallel and the incident wave is plane; you get full addition, all over the emerging wave for one angle (say normal) and cancellation at another angle. Put the appropriate angles in your calculations and it should work for that.

PS it's always worth while looking at more than just one source to resolve this sort of confusion. There are dozens available. :smile:

• Love
Likes Ahmed123
The wavefronts are planes perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This means that the wavefronts are in phase with each other, and they will interfere constructively.

gravisxv said:
The wavefronts are planes perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This means that the wavefronts are in phase with each other, and they will interfere constructively.
Where? It is angle dependent.

I'm not sure where they get the final equation without a bit more help. Is there any more text that you could copy here?
Is there a link to the whole text?

@gravisxv We may be talking at cross purposes. It isn't clear if you actually understand how interference is caused when two path lengths are involved. How familiar are you with the basic way in which the fringes are generated by the two slit experiment?

It is certainly angle dependent. I understand what you're telling, in the Fizeau wedge interferometer, the path difference between the rays depends on the angle at which they emerge from the wedge.

gravisxv said:
It is certainly angle dependent. I understand what you're telling, in the Fizeau wedge interferometer, the path difference between the rays depends on the angle at which they emerge from the wedge.
If you accept that, then how would you not get fringes?
The details of that equation under your quoted diagram would need some fleshing out. I asked you for more info or a link. Do you have it?

Alternatively, look for another source and we could discuss that. You can't expect a one stop shop on Google.

1. What is Fizeau interferometry?

Fizeau interferometry is an optical measurement technique that uses interference patterns to determine the shape and surface characteristics of an object. It involves splitting a light beam and recombining it after it has reflected off the object, creating an interference pattern that can be analyzed to extract information about the object's surface.

2. How does co-phasal wave front exploration work in Fizeau interferometry?

In co-phasal wave front exploration, two light beams are used in the interferometer, one as a reference beam and the other as a measurement beam. The measurement beam is reflected off the object and then recombined with the reference beam, creating interference patterns that can be analyzed to determine the shape and surface characteristics of the object.

3. What are the benefits of using co-phasal wave fronts in Fizeau interferometry?

Using co-phasal wave fronts in Fizeau interferometry allows for more accurate and precise measurements of the object's surface. It also reduces the effects of environmental disturbances, such as vibrations, which can affect the quality of the interference pattern and result in less accurate measurements.

4. What are some applications of exploring co-phasal wave fronts in Fizeau interferometry?

Fizeau interferometry is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing for quality control and inspection of surfaces. It can also be used in scientific research for studying the properties of materials and objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using co-phasal wave fronts in Fizeau interferometry?

One limitation of using co-phasal wave fronts in Fizeau interferometry is that it requires precise alignment of the reference and measurement beams, which can be challenging and time-consuming. Additionally, the technique may not be suitable for objects with highly reflective or transparent surfaces.