Exploring Covalent Bonds: A Deep Dive into the Basics and Complexities

• Thread starter misko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary, Covalent bonding involves the sharing of electrons between atoms, and it can be formed between two hydrogen atoms with parallel electron spins. The creation of a covalent bond can be determined by the bonding or anti-bonding state, and the higher potential energy of the anti-bonding state can be overcome by the bonding interaction of the valence electrons. In multi-electron atoms like nitrogen, the inner shell 1s and 2s orbitals can also be involved in covalent bonding, in addition to the valence electrons. However, the repulsion between the 1s orbitals can be overcome by the bonding interaction of the valence electrons. Overall, covalent bonding is a complex concept that involves
misko
I have few questions trying to understand covalent bond in the simplest molecule H2 of two Hydrogen atoms.

1. Can covalent bond be created between two hydrogen atoms for which electrons have parallel spin? That is, electron in first hydrogen atom has spin UP and electron in the second hydrogen atom has also spin UP.

2. What determines whether covalent bond will be created with bonding or antibonding state?

3. Since antibonding state has higher potential energy than the two individual neutral hydrogen atoms, then how it can ever be created?

4. This final question is about covalent bond in multielectron atoms... Say we have nitrogen molecule N2 which has 3 covalent bonds. I understand that 3 pairs of electrons in the outer (valence) shell form three covalent bonds but are inner shell involved in covalent bonding as well? That is, 1s and 2s orbitals (nitrogen electron configuration is: 1s2 2s2 2p3).
I am confused about this because at first I thought that only valence electrons form covalent bonds but in my book there is a graph for this molecule that shows that beside valence bonds there are also two sigma states (one bonding marked as σ1s and one antibonding marked as σ*1s).

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as an anti bonding state

What I am saying is that you have to distinguish between antibonding orbitals (which are a theoretical construct) and whether the molecules can be in an antibonding state (which is not the case).

Ok I acknowledge that. Do you know answers to my questions?

misko said:
1. Can covalent bond be created between two hydrogen atoms for which electrons have parallel spin? That is, electron in first hydrogen atom has spin UP and electron in the second hydrogen atom has also spin UP.

4. This final question is about covalent bond in multielectron atoms... Say we have nitrogen molecule N2 which has 3 covalent bonds. I understand that 3 pairs of electrons in the outer (valence) shell form three covalent bonds but are inner shell involved in covalent bonding as well? That is, 1s and 2s orbitals (nitrogen electron configuration is: 1s2 2s2 2p3).
I am confused about this because at first I thought that only valence electrons form covalent bonds but in my book there is a graph for this molecule that shows that beside valence bonds there are also two sigma states (one bonding marked as σ1s and one antibonding marked as σ*1s).

I think I already answered your questions 2 and 3. Sorry if my answer was a little bit condensed, but I answered from my phone.

Concerning 1, two hydrogens with anti-parallel spin will always repell each other. Hence there is no covalent bonding.

Question 4 is the most difficult to answer. The two 1s states will repell each other, but, as they are more compact than the valence orbitals, this repulsion can be overcome by the bonding interaction of the valence electrons. The repulsion of the 1s functions is due to the fact that the antibonding orbitals are so to say more antibonding than the bonding orbitals are bonding, so that a net repulsion remains even if both are filled.
There is also another point: If both the bonding and anti-bonding orbitals formed from a set of atomic orbitals (e.g. the 1s orbitals) are completely filled, then the molecular wavefunction can also alternatively be described as being made up of the atomic orbitals without combining them first into molecular orbitals. Hence it looks like the electrons in the 1s orbitals are little influenced by the bonding of the valence electrons.

1. What is a covalent bond?

A covalent bond is a type of chemical bond that involves the sharing of electrons between two or more atoms. It is formed when atoms with incomplete outer electron shells interact and share electrons in order to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

2. How is a covalent bond different from an ionic bond?

Unlike an ionic bond where electrons are completely transferred from one atom to another, in a covalent bond, electrons are shared between atoms. This means that in a covalent bond, both atoms have a partial ownership of the electrons, while in an ionic bond, one atom has complete ownership of the electrons.

3. What are the properties of a covalent bond?

Some properties of covalent bonds include high bond strength, directional bonding, the ability to form double and triple bonds, and the ability to form molecules with different shapes and sizes.

4. How is the strength of a covalent bond determined?

The strength of a covalent bond is determined by the number of shared electrons between the atoms and the distance between the nuclei of the bonded atoms. The more shared electrons and the shorter the distance between nuclei, the stronger the covalent bond will be.

5. What are some examples of substances with covalent bonds?

Some common examples of substances with covalent bonds include water (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), and ammonia (NH3). Many organic compounds, such as sugars, proteins, and fats, also contain covalent bonds.