Exploring Different Approaches to Solving a Tricky First Year Physics Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed various attempts at solving a question and the different answers obtained. The relationship between changing x, changing y, and changing angle was mentioned and used to determine the final x, time, and distance travelled. The differentiation of the initial expression was also discussed. In the end, the correct answer was found to be 4.86 m/s, as obtained by the professor.
Panphobia
t7xxqp.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this question a few different ways, and I got different answers every time. My first attempt I realized that the relationship between the changing x, changing y, and changing angle was tan([itex]\theta[/itex]) = y/x , so first of all I tried to figure out the final x, and I could do this because it gave me the angular velocity and the final angle, so I got the time to be ∏/2. Then I multiplied 2*(∏/2) to get the distance travelled. So the distance from the wall is 10 - ∏, now that I know the x I can figure out dy/dt, so I differentiate the first expression and get (sec([itex]\theta[/itex]))^2*d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt = dy/dt * 1/(10-∏). Then the answer would be (sqrt(2))^2 * 0.5 * (10-∏) = dy/dt, so that was my first answer, now here to my second answer. I differentiate that first expression straight from the beginning, I won't post it but I used the quotient rule, then I figured out that I needed x and y, so I figured out the time the same way as before, it was ∏/2, then I figured out the distance from the wall which was also 10 - ∏, but I also figured out that tan(∏/4) = 1 = O/A so x = y, so y = 10 - ∏ also, but when I plug everything in then, I get 8.86 m/s instead of 6.86 m/s which was what I got in the first attempt. But both of these answers are wrong according to the prof.

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:
t7xxqp.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this question a few different ways, and I got different answers every time. My first attempt I realized that the relationship between the changing x, changing y, and changing angle was tan([itex]\theta[/itex]) = y/x , so first of all I tried to figure out the final x, and I could do this because it gave me the angular velocity and the final angle, so I got the time to be ∏/2. Then I multiplied 2*(∏/2) to get the distance travelled. So the distance from the wall is 10 - ∏, now that I know the x I can figure out dy/dt, so I differentiate the first expression and get (sec([itex]\theta[/itex]))^2*d[itex]\theta[/itex]/dt = dy/dt * 1/(10-∏). Then the answer would be (sqrt(2))^2 * 0.5 * (10-∏) = dy/dt, so that was my first answer, now here to my second answer. I differentiate that first expression straight from the beginning, I won't post it but I used the quotient rule, then I figured out that I needed x and y, so I figured out the time the same way as before, it was ∏/2, then I figured out the distance from the wall which was also 10 - ∏, but I also figured out that tan(∏/4) = 1 = O/A so x = y, so y = 10 - ∏ also, but when I plug everything in then, I get 8.86 m/s instead of 6.86 m/s which was what I got in the first attempt. But both of these answers are wrong according to the prof.

You've got some parts right. y=x*tan(θ). Differentiate both sides with respect to t and remember x AND θ are both functions of t. Use the product rule.

dy/dt = tan(θ) *dx/dt + x*(sec(θ))^2*dθ/dt

Panphobia said:
dy/dt = tan(θ) *dx/dt + x*(sec(θ))^2*dθ/dt

Ok, now use that.

dy/dt = 2 + (10 - ∏)*2*0.5
= 8.86 m/s
but my professor got 4.86 m/s...he used -2 instead of 2...sooo is he right?

Panphobia said:
dy/dt = 2 + (10 - ∏)*2*0.5
= 8.86 m/s
but my professor got 4.86 m/s...he used -2 instead of 2...sooo is he right?

Yes, he is. dx/dt isn't 2. x is getting smaller as time goes on.

Likes 1 person
ohh alright, thanks!

Related to Exploring Different Approaches to Solving a Tricky First Year Physics Problem

1. What is the purpose of first year practice problems?

The purpose of first year practice problems is to help students develop their problem-solving skills and gain a deeper understanding of the subject matter. These problems provide practical applications of the concepts learned in class and allow students to practice applying their knowledge to real-world scenarios.

2. How should I approach first year practice problems?

It is best to approach first year practice problems by first understanding the underlying concepts and theories. Then, carefully read the problem and make sure you understand what is being asked. Break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and use problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams, making lists, or working backwards to find a solution.

3. Are first year practice problems graded?

This may vary depending on the course and instructor. In some cases, practice problems may be graded for completion or as a small portion of the overall grade. However, the main purpose of these problems is to help students learn and improve their skills, rather than for evaluation.

4. How many first year practice problems should I do?

It is recommended to do as many practice problems as possible, as this will allow you to gain a better understanding of the material and improve your problem-solving skills. However, it is important to balance practice problems with other study methods such as reviewing notes, attending lectures, and studying with classmates.

5. Where can I find first year practice problems?

First year practice problems can be found in various sources, such as textbooks, online resources, and study guides. Your instructor may also provide practice problems or recommend specific resources. It is important to use a variety of sources to ensure you are exposed to different types of problems and have a well-rounded understanding of the subject.