Exploring F=MA: A Retired Electronics Tech's Questions

In summary, the F=MA equation is used to calculate the force between two objects. It is focused on the acceleration variable, which is the rate of change in velocity.
Revolucien
Gold Member
I am not a student of Physics just a retired electronics tech who is interested so I am not sure what prefix this should be under.
I have some questions about the F=MA equation...
1. If there are two bricks pushed against each other so an equal amount of pressure is applied, I have Mass in each brick with no Acceleration, but Force is still being felt. How is the acceleration variable addressed?
2. If deceleration is reduction in rate of change that increases the time over distance and inversely acceleration shortens time over distance, then how is the equation effected? Should the equation actually read F=M(λV) ?
These are actually precursor questions that I have for a question involving Force and Gravity measurement.

Sorry if these are rudimentary and I appreciate any positive answers or comments. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. The acceleration times mass is the NET force. If all the forces cancel out, then there is no acceleration.
2. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Could you rephrase this?

Revolucien said:
1. If there are two bricks pushed against each other so an equal amount of pressure is applied, I have Mass in each brick with no Acceleration, but Force is still being felt. How is the acceleration variable addressed?

The net force is zero, as the two equal forces in opposite directions cancel out

But you still have pressure there
have a look at this snippet I found and see if it helps ...
PRESSURE
A PRESSURE is the result of a FORCE being applied to a specific cross-sectional area, and is defined as FORCE per unit AREA, as in POUNDS per SQUARE INCH. For example, if a downward FORCE of 1000 pounds is applied evenly to a square plate of steel which measures 2" by 2" (4 square inches of area), then the PRESSURE applied to that block (Force per unit AREA) is determined by dividing the FORCE (1000 pounds) by the AREA (4 square inches), which is 250 pounds per square inch ("psi").
Dave

So since force and mass are still measurable, but with force opposed and equal and the acceleration is actually what is canceled out. OK, that works for me on that one.

On number 2 sorry if this one is confusing. F=MA seems to be focused on acceleration being the rate of change in velocity, but deceleration is has a rate of change that is inverse to acceleration. Is there another equation that works with deceleration? F=MD ? Or should F=M(λV) be the actual equation to account for rate of change in velocity?

Revolucien said:
So since force and mass are still measurable, but with force opposed and equal and the acceleration is actually what is canceled out. OK, that works for me on that one.

you cannot just use the term force
The NET force is zero because the equal and opposite forces cancel out

consider it the same thing of one brick was a wall and you were pushing against the wall directly with your hand or another object ( your brick)
The forces will be equal and oppositeD

Revolucien said:
On number 2 sorry if this one is confusing. F=MA seems to be focused on acceleration being the rate of change in velocity, but deceleration is has a rate of change that is inverse to acceleration. Is there another equation that works with deceleration? F=MD ? Or should F=M(λV) be the actual equation to account for rate of change in velocity?
Deceleration just has a negative value for acceleration.

Likes davenn
OK, so I'm going to chew on that for a bit because I can easily see force with a negative value when it is in a vector function providing direction, but a little different when force is a function of time. Gonna have to play with some equations for a bit. Thanks all.

1. What does F=MA stand for?

F=MA stands for force equals mass times acceleration. It is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

2. How is F=MA used in science?

F=MA is used to calculate the force required to accelerate an object of a certain mass at a given rate. It is also used to understand the motion of objects and the forces acting on them.

3. What is the significance of exploring F=MA?

Exploring F=MA allows us to better understand the laws of motion and the forces that govern the behavior of objects. It is also crucial in fields such as engineering and physics, where the principles of F=MA are used to design and analyze systems and structures.

4. How does F=MA relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

F=MA is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, F=MA is a mathematical representation of this law.

5. Can F=MA be applied in everyday life?

Yes, F=MA can be applied in everyday life in many ways. For example, when driving a car, the force applied to the gas pedal (F) affects the acceleration (A) of the car, which is also influenced by the car's mass (M). Understanding F=MA can also help with everyday tasks such as lifting heavy objects or playing sports.