Exploring General Relativity: Altitudes Where Oblate Earth Approximation Applies

• B
  • Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the oblateness of the Earth matters for low Earth orbit satellites, and general relativity is also important for modeling.
Gear300
TL;DR Summary
Questions on GR and oblate Earth.
This is actually two questions. They are
  1. In which courses or field work is general relativity taught as method and not philosophy?
  2. At which altitudes does the oblate Earth approximation matter? At stealth bomber altitudes? Somewhere between Earth and Moon (in perhaps inertial gyroscope calculations?) ?? (Someone once told me that people should have ground for correcting others that the Earth is not a sphere, so as to not sound annoying.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
Summary: Questions on GR and oblate Earth.

This is actually two questions. They are
  1. In which courses or field work is general relativity taught as method and not philosophy?
  2. At which altitudes does the oblate Earth approximation matter? At stealth bomber altitudes? Somewhere between Earth and Moon (in perhaps inertial gyroscope calculations?) ?? (Someone once told me that people should have ground for correcting others that the Earth is not a sphere, so as to not sound annoying.)
General relativity is generally taught as method. I don't know that it has ever been considered a philosophy.

2. I'm not sure but I think it matters for satellites orbiting the Earth.

Likes Gear300, russ_watters, vanhees71 and 1 other person
There are government models, GRS80 and WGS84, of the shape of the Earth that are standard and often used. I do not know which users really require it or if they are just using them out of an abundance of caution. I know that airplane inertial reference systems use them. Even NOAA, who maintains the models, says this: "Please note that the GRS80 and WGS84 are considered to be the same. Actually, there is a very small difference in the flattening which results in the semi-minor axis, b, being different by 0.0001 meters. There is no known application for which this difference is significant." But that is regarding the difference between the two models. I am sure that many applications would not work well if a spherical Earth was assumed.

Likes Gear300, vanhees71 and PeroK
Very well. Thanks for the answers.

Gear300

Likes vanhees71
The Earth's precession is a function of the Earth's oblateness. In simple terms, right now Polaris is the Earth's "North Star," but it wasn't always that way, nor will it always be that way in the future. The Earth's celestial poles gradually rotate in a circle with respect to the stars every 26,000 years or so. This axial "precession" wouldn't happen if the Earth was completely spherical. Scientists have known about Earth's precession to some degree or another for thousands of years, believe it or not. (General relatively [GR] isn't so critical here. You can model it with Newtonian mechanics quite well. But the oblateness is still a key factor when modeling.)

The effects of Earth's oblateness is probably most pronounced in anything dealing with low-Earth-orbit (LEO) satellites. And this is also one application where general relativity (GR) is also critical. For example, GPS, GLONASS, or other global positioning satellite systems absolutely must account for both.

A while ago, I wrote a computer program to track satellites based on their orbital elements (not dissimilar to what heavens-above.com implements). The program does not take GR into account and models orbits as Kepplerian. I still had to model ground locations (i.e., observing locations) based on Earth being a oblate spheroid, not a sphere. Had I modeled Earth as a sphere, it would have caused significant pointing errors. To elaborate, there are several different types of latitude: geocentric latitude and geodetic latitude, being most used. It's often important to distinguish between the two (or any other type). (See more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latitude#Auxiliary_latitudes.)

1920px-Geocentric_coords_03.svg.png

Geodetic latitude [itex] ( \phi) [/itex] and geocetric latitude [itex] (\theta) [/itex].

If I'm not mistaken, most maps use geodetic latitude which takes into account the Earth being an ellipsoid. So that's another application where the Earth's oblateness is considered: maps.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Gear300 and Klystron
The Earth's equatorial radius is 6378137 m ; The flattening is about 1 in 298.25722 ;
So the pole is about = 21384.685 m below where it would be if the Earth was a sphere with the same equator. That is just over 70,000 feet.

Jet aircraft usually fly at about 30,000 feet, but aircraft must control altitude by air pressure, so they automatically follow the flattened Earth's surface towards the poles.

Early aircraft used magnetic compasses to find the destination region, then used a localiser radio beacon to find the airport. The oblate Earth did not therefore interfere significantly with navigation.

Since GPS became accepted for navigation, those localiser radio beacons have been decommissioned. The WGS84 geoid used by GPS takes into account the flattening, so aircraft no longer need magnetic compasses or precision altimeter QNH corrections on route.

The vertical variation of GPS, and between the WGS84 geoid and sea level can be up to 100 metres, so some form of precision beyond GPS is required for blind landings. Part of that destination accuracy comes from glideslope indicators and the QNH altimeter correction.

• Informative
Likes Gear300 and berkeman

1. What is the Oblate Earth Approximation?

The Oblate Earth Approximation is a simplified model used in the study of general relativity. It assumes that the Earth is a perfect sphere flattened at the poles, rather than an oblate spheroid with a bulge at the equator. This approximation is useful for studying certain phenomena, such as the effects of altitude on gravity, without having to account for the Earth's irregular shape.

2. How does altitude affect gravity according to general relativity?

According to general relativity, the force of gravity decreases as altitude increases. This is because the Earth's mass curves spacetime, and the further away an object is from the center of the Earth, the weaker the gravitational pull becomes. This effect is more pronounced at higher altitudes, where the distance from the Earth's center is greater.

3. At what altitudes does the Oblate Earth Approximation apply?

The Oblate Earth Approximation applies at altitudes where the difference between the Earth's polar and equatorial radii is negligible. This is typically at altitudes below 10,000 meters, or approximately 32,800 feet. At higher altitudes, the Earth's irregular shape becomes more significant and the Oblate Earth Approximation is no longer accurate.

4. How does the Oblate Earth Approximation affect calculations and measurements?

The Oblate Earth Approximation simplifies calculations and measurements by assuming a perfect spherical shape for the Earth. This makes it easier to study and understand the effects of altitude on gravity without having to account for the Earth's irregularities. However, it should be noted that the Oblate Earth Approximation is not always accurate and may introduce some errors in calculations and measurements.

5. Are there any other factors besides altitude that affect gravity according to general relativity?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect gravity according to general relativity. These include the mass and density of the Earth, as well as the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies such as the moon and the sun. In addition, the rotation and movement of the Earth can also have an effect on gravity. However, at altitudes where the Oblate Earth Approximation applies, these factors are usually negligible and can be ignored.