Exploring Maths and CS Projects: Seeking Ideas and Resources

In summary: It's definitely a plus that you've read so many books outside the syllabus. It shows that you're curious and that you're not just following the curriculum blindly. However, your résumé would look the same if you spent all that time on TV.
Maths Absorber
Hi guys,

I am currently enrolled in the second year of a computer science engineering course. Over the last couple of years, I have become a fortunate prisoner to mathematical fascination.

I was always good at Maths but the schools I went to did not encourage much creativity and the teachers didn't like being asked questions out of the syllabus. (I'm from India). I guess my college teachers can be described in the same way but the major difference is that I now have an Ipad and all the boons that come with it. I have downloaded many many books I would normally have never read or even heard about.

I spend all the time I possibly can studying Maths and can't get enough of it.

I realized that I am putting in a lot of effort but there isn't much to show for it. So, I have decided to undertake a project that I can do which brings together both Maths and Computer Science.

My areas of interest include Discrete Maths, Combinatorics, Problem Solving, Number Theory, Recreational Mathematics, Calculus and many more. I know C, C++ and Java and I'm more than willing to learn more for a project.

Can someone suggest some good project ideas, as well as the prequisites required to perform it, and the resources to get it from?

Many Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about going to one of your professors and asking for some kind of project? Or better yet, ask how you can get involved with one of their research programs.

Unfortunately, I'm in a college where the quality of professors is kind of poor. So, I don't want to do that. I want to do something that I can do on my own.

Maths Absorber said:
Unfortunately, I'm in a college where the quality of professors is kind of poor. So, I don't want to do that. I want to do something that I can do on my own.

While I understand your sentiment, this isn't really the way to do things if you plan on going to graduate school. Graduate schools look mainly at your potential to be a good researcher. Projects are one way to show this. Publications are a good way to show it. And letters of recommendation are one of the main ways a lot of people show it. So I don't really know how you can assess the quality of your professors, but I know that if they have Ph.Ds, then chances are they know what kind of projects you can handle best, and they know what's within your reach.

Likes Dishsoap
I want to go to graduate school and do my Masters. And, I want to undertake projects and publications. I want to either do it from a top college here or abroad. I assess their quality by the way they talk.

Like someone asked the Maths teacher why Gauss-Siedel method can only be applied to diagonally dominant equations ... The teacher took a while and blinked and said that that was the procedure given. There are many examples of this every single day. Unfortunately, the quality of education here especially at the higher levels is not good. When someone says they have a Masters degree, it doesn't really carry any weight. It just means they were able to clear the exams.

In the entire department of computer science, there are two Ph.Ds. One is the HOD, who is a petty bloke. They treat us like kids ... They call our parents if many people haven't attended class together.
The other guy is always busy and not very approachable.

I read all these stories of people who didn't go to engineering school, taught themselves to program and built cool apps, websites, etc. I want to do something similar ... Build something on my own but preferably connect it with Maths since I spend so much time on it anyway.

Like you said, it's a concrete way of showing what you've done (a project). I can't put down the fact that I've read these 20 books outside the syllabus in my résumé. So, in spite of the massive effort I'm putting in, my résumé would look the same as it would if I spent all that time on TV.

1. What is the purpose of exploring maths and CS projects?

The purpose of exploring maths and CS projects is to develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and creativity through hands-on activities and projects. It also helps students understand the practical applications of maths and computer science in everyday life.

2. How can I come up with ideas for maths and CS projects?

One way to come up with ideas for maths and CS projects is to think about real-life problems and how maths and computer science can be used to solve them. You can also look for inspiration from existing projects, brainstorm with classmates or teachers, or attend workshops and conferences.

3. What resources are available for exploring maths and CS projects?

There are many resources available for exploring maths and CS projects, including online tutorials, textbooks, coding platforms, and educational websites. Your school or local library may also have resources such as books and software that you can use for your projects.

4. How can I make my maths and CS project more engaging?

To make your maths and CS project more engaging, you can incorporate elements of gamification, such as setting challenges and offering rewards. You can also collaborate with other students or work on a project that relates to your personal interests or hobbies.

5. What are some benefits of exploring maths and CS projects?

Exploring maths and CS projects can have numerous benefits, such as developing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, improving creativity and innovation, and fostering teamwork and collaboration. It can also help students gain a deeper understanding and appreciation for maths and computer science concepts.