Exploring Matter-Antimatter Asymmetry in the Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of CP violation in relation to the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe. While CP violation is observed in the standard model, it is not enough to explain the observed asymmetry. Therefore, there are theories beyond the standard model that are assumed to induce higher levels of CP violation, which could potentially explain the asymmetry. The conversation also touches on the idea of observable enhancements in CP violation and the search for these effects in specific processes.
Malamala
Hello! I don't know much about this topic so I apologize if my question is not very clear. I understand that one of the conditions required to explain the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe is to have CP (charge-parity) violation. We have CP violation in the standard model (SM), in the CKM matrix observed in Kaon (or B, D mesons) system, but the CP violation induced there is not enough to explain the observed matter-antimatter asymmetry. So now there are BSM (beyond SM) theories which are assumed to induce much higher CP violation effects, that would explain the asymmetry. For example, the electron electric dipole moment (EDM) induced by CKM is too small to be observed experimentally, but the EDM that could be induced by BSM theories might be orders of magnitudes higher and hence observable. I am not sure I understand, how come we haven't observed this much higher effects, given that we already observed the ones from the CKM matrix? If we can have an observable enhanced so much (the EDM) how come we don't see that effect in the kaon oscillation? Basically, if we have much higher CP violating effects BSM than in the SM, how come we didn't see these first? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The relative strength of CP violation in a specific observable depends on that observable. If you look at kaon mixing you see SM CP violation - BSM effects are small. If you look at the electron EDM then the SM contribution is really tiny. BSM effects don't have to be larger - but they can be, so we look for them.
This is a general pattern: If you want to search for BSM look in places where SM processes are very rare, or at least really well-understood: Rare decays like ##B_{(s)} \to \mu \mu##, searches for lepton flavor violation in decays where electrons and muons should be equally likely (with tiny theoretical uncertainties), and so on.

1. What is matter-antimatter asymmetry?

Matter-antimatter asymmetry is the phenomenon in which there is an unequal amount of matter and antimatter in the universe. This is a fundamental question in physics as it challenges our understanding of the laws of nature and the origin of the universe.

2. Why is it important to explore matter-antimatter asymmetry?

Exploring matter-antimatter asymmetry can help us understand the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe. It can also provide insight into why the universe is made up mostly of matter and why antimatter is so rare.

3. How do scientists study matter-antimatter asymmetry?

Scientists study matter-antimatter asymmetry through experiments that involve creating and measuring the properties of particles and antiparticles. They also use theoretical models and mathematical equations to understand the behavior of matter and antimatter.

4. What have scientists discovered about matter-antimatter asymmetry so far?

Scientists have observed that there is a slight imbalance between matter and antimatter in the universe. However, the exact cause of this asymmetry is still unknown and is an active area of research in physics.

5. How can understanding matter-antimatter asymmetry impact our daily lives?

Understanding matter-antimatter asymmetry can lead to advancements in technology, such as improved medical imaging and energy production. It can also help us gain a deeper understanding of the universe and our place in it.