Baryon asymmetry of the universe

In summary: There's no evidence that the lepton sector or the neutrino sector are necessary to explain the matter-antimatter asymmetry.
Kajagoogooooooo
I don't understand why CP violation is insufficient to explain the observed baryon asymmetry?
in every article I find it says: "we know its insufficient..." without an explanation.
I will be glad for an explanation and for articles that deal with this issue.
And how do you solve it using the lepton sector?
Again articles that are talking about this issue will be great in addition to an explanation :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As usual, Wikipedia gives an overview that is easy to find.

CP violation alone doesn't give you a process that would change the baryon number.
CP violation and baryon number in thermal equilibrium would change the baryon number only randomly, i.e. it would stay extremely close to zero.

You need all three - CP violation to make a difference between baryons and antibaryons, a process that can change the baryon number, and conditions that favor one direction over the other, to get a baryon asymmetry.

Likes Kajagoogooooooo
Kajagoogooooooo said:
I don't understand why CP violation is insufficient to explain the observed baryon asymmetry?

As a simpler way of saying what @mfb said: all of the CP violating processes in the Standard Model are weak interactions, and the weak interaction conserves baryon number.

Likes Kajagoogooooooo and Demystifier
As I have read you need to satisfy Sakharov conditions in order to make matter-antimatter asymmetry:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/24042/baryon-asymmetry
1. CP violation has been approved in the Cronin and Fitch experiment.
2. Interactions out of thermal equilibrium - Our universe in out of thermal equilibrium due to the growth in entropy so it satisfies this too.
3. I understand that the problem lies in: Baryon B violation
I just don`t understand what it means Baryon B violation, and why it is not happening?
Because if 3. happens too, there is no problem to explain the matter-antimatter asymmetry.

Kajagoogooooooo said:
I just don`t understand what it means Baryon B violation, and why it is not happening?

"Baryon B violation" just means interactions that do not conserve baryon number. All of the Standard Model interactions do conserve baryon number, and those are the only interactions we know of (other than gravity, which obviously conserves baryon number). That's why the question of where matter-antimatter asymmetry comes from is a question.

PeterDonis said:
That's why the question of where matter-antimatter asymmetry comes from is a question.
Hi Peter:

I wonder if the question about the origin of asymmetry have some hypotheses that attract a majority of professionals to think they are more likely to be correct than others. For example, during the earliest era when particles are created randomly, might a statistical excess of matter particles rather than antimatter particles exist, and when that period ends, the excess would survive during the annihilation of pairs. Might it be possible to estimate the number of paired particles that annihilate each other compared with the number of surviving matter particles? Might this ratio have some surviving characteristic that could me measured today?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
might a statistical excess of matter particles rather than antimatter particles exist, and when that period ends, the excess would survive during the annihilation of pairs

There's no "might" about it; this is what we believe happened. The question is, where does the "statistical excess" come from? There would have to be some process that can affect baryons and anti-baryons differently (or quarks and anti-quarks), and we know of no such process. In the absence of such a process, there is no way to ever have a different number of baryons and anti-baryons; they have to balance.

Buzz Bloom said:
Might it be possible to estimate the number of paired particles that annihilate each other compared with the number of surviving matter particles?

Again, there is no "might" about it; we have estimated this. The key parameter is the ratio of photons to baryons in the universe, which is estimated to be about a billion photons per baryon; this means, heuristically, that the excess of baryons over anti-baryons before annihilation was about one in a billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleosynthesis#Baryon–photon_ratio

Likes Buzz Bloom and Kajagoogooooooo
PeterDonis said:
There's no "might" about it; this is what we believe happened. The question is, where does the "statistical excess" come from? There would have to be some process that can affect baryons and anti-baryons differently (or quarks and anti-quarks), and we know of no such process. In the absence of such a process, there is no way to ever have a different number of baryons and anti-baryons; they have to balance.
Again, there is no "might" about it; we have estimated this. The key parameter is the ratio of photons to baryons in the universe, which is estimated to be about a billion photons per baryon; this means, heuristically, that the excess of baryons over anti-baryons before annihilation was about one in a billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleosynthesis#Baryon–photon_ratio
I heard about some who believe the answer lies in the lepton sector or in the neutrino sector, can you expand on this issue?

Kajagoogooooooo said:
I heard about some

Can you give a reference?

PeterDonis said:
Can you give a reference?
upload_2018-4-10_21-2-31.png

from an article written by yanagida and peccei.
I can put a link if you wish.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-10_21-2-6.png
    upload_2018-4-10_21-2-6.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 395
  • upload_2018-4-10_21-2-31.png
    upload_2018-4-10_21-2-31.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 710
Kajagoogooooooo said:
View attachment 223751
from an article written by yanagida and peccei.

When asked for a reference, as a minimum, you also should give the title of the article, and the name of the journal, article, text, or proceedings. A link would be nice.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
When asked for a reference, as a minimum, you should give the title of the article, and the name of the journal, article, text, or proceedings. A link would be nice.
Leptogenesis as the Origin of Matter
Buchmuller Peccei and Yanagida

George Jones said:
When asked for a reference, as a minimum, you also should give the title of the article, and the name of the journal, article, text, or proceedings. A link would be nice.

Kajagoogooooooo said:
Leptogenesis as the Origin of Matter
Buchmuller Peccei and Yanagida

You didn't meet my minimum.

For articles on the arXiv, perhaps the best method of reference is a link, e.g.,

https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0502169

The linked page contains a lot of information: article title; article authors; journal reference; abstract; link to pdf version of the full article.

This would have required less effort than your original response to the request for a reference.

It may seem like nitpicking, but communication is important. I have a friend who worked for a large, well-known multinational company for more than 25 years. This company, call it A, has other large, well-known multinational companies as clients. Employees at A were not allowed to be in positions that interacted with important clients if the communications skills of said employees were below a suitable level.

Kajagoogooooooo said:

If you read the PF rules on references, you will know that we do wish. Telling people to Google is not acceptable. Posting a PDF is not acceptable (partly because of copyright issues; we have no way of verifying that you have the right to post it).

George Jones said:
It may seem like nitpicking

It's not. The reasons you give for linking are perfectly valid. Other reasons include the one I mentioned above.

PeterDonis said:
All of the Standard Model interactions do conserve baryon number, and those are the only interactions we know of (other than gravity, which obviously conserves baryon number).
The SM conserves baryon numbers only at low energies. At high energies sphalerons can convert baryons to antileptons and vice versa.
Gravity does not care about baryon number, and therefore does not conserve it. You can feed a small black hole with baryons only and get an equal amount of baryons and antibaryons out (if it is small enough for Hawking radiation of baryons).
Kajagoogooooooo said:
Because if 3. happens too, there is no problem to explain the matter-antimatter asymmetry.
It is not sufficient to find a mechanism - you also have to get the numbers right. In particular, the CP violation we found so far is way too small to explain the observed baryon to photon ratio.
Kajagoogooooooo said:
I heard about some who believe the answer lies in the lepton sector or in the neutrino sector, can you expand on this issue?
This is related to the sphaleron process I mentioned before. An asymmetry in the lepton sector can lead to an asymmetry in the baryon sector. But where does the asymmetry in the lepton sector come from? Large CP violation with neutrinos has not been ruled out, and in general neutrino mixing is very interesting.

1. What is the baryon asymmetry of the universe?

The baryon asymmetry of the universe refers to the imbalance between matter and antimatter in the universe. Baryons, which are particles such as protons and neutrons, are made up of quarks. Antimatter particles have the same mass as their corresponding matter particles, but with opposite charge. Theoretically, the Big Bang should have created equal amounts of matter and antimatter, but for some reason, there is a slight excess of matter in the universe. This imbalance is known as the baryon asymmetry.

2. What is the significance of the baryon asymmetry of the universe?

The baryon asymmetry is a key puzzle in physics and cosmology because it challenges our understanding of the early universe and its evolution. It also has implications for the fundamental laws of physics and could potentially explain why we exist in a universe made of matter rather than antimatter.

3. How is the baryon asymmetry measured?

The baryon asymmetry is measured by comparing the number of baryons to the number of photons in the universe. Photons, which are particles of light, are much more abundant than baryons, making them a good point of comparison. Scientists use a parameter called eta to measure this ratio, with a value of 10^-10 indicating a small baryon asymmetry.

4. What are some proposed explanations for the baryon asymmetry?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the baryon asymmetry, including the electroweak baryogenesis theory, which suggests that the imbalance was created during the phase transition of the early universe. Another theory is leptogenesis, which proposes that the imbalance came from the decay of heavy particles known as leptons. Some scientists also suggest that the baryon asymmetry could be evidence of new physics beyond the Standard Model.

5. Is the baryon asymmetry the only asymmetry in the universe?

No, there are other asymmetries in the universe, such as the matter-antimatter asymmetry and the left-right asymmetry. These asymmetries are also important for understanding the fundamental laws of physics and the evolution of the universe. However, the baryon asymmetry is the most well-known and studied asymmetry due to its implications for the existence of matter in the universe.