Exploring Non-Crossing Partitions: Definition, Visualization, and Calculation

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    partitions
In summary, a partition of a set $S$ is a collection of non-empty disjoint subsets $\in S$ whose union covers $S$. The number of these partitions can be calculated using the Bell numbers. A noncrossing partition is a special type of partition where no two blocks "cross" each other, and the number of such partitions can be calculated using Catalan's numbers. A noncrossing partition can also be described as a partition in which no two blocks "cross" each other, as illustrated in a picture. However, there may be other ways to define a noncrossing partition mathematically.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Define a partition of a set $S$ as a collection of non-empty disjoint subsets $\in S$ whose union covers $S$. The number of them is defined using the Bell numbers.

Can we define ''Non-crossing'' partitions in words . I have seen the visualization of these partitions and the number of them is calculated using the Catalan's numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the wiki, it says that a noncrossing partition
is a partition in which no two blocks "cross" each other, i.e., if a and b belong to one block and x and y to another, they are not arranged in the order a x b y. If one draws an arch based at a and b, and another arch based at x and y, then the two arches cross each other if the order is a x b y but not if it is a x y b or a b x y. In the latter two orders the partition { { a, b }, { x, y } } is noncrossing.
There's a nice picture illustrating noncrossing partitions.

Ackbach said:
In the wiki, it says that a noncrossing partition There's a nice picture illustrating noncrossing partitions.

Yes, I already saw this . But I am surprised to know that this is the only explanation! I mean it should have a mathematical definition '' can be described by words '' .

Is the part I quoted not in words? Is it an adequate definition? These are not rhetorical questions, but genuine.

Ackbach said:
Is the part I quoted not in words? Is it an adequate definition? These are not rhetorical questions, but genuine.

I actually meant something else .But now I got the general idea , thanks .

What are non-crossing partitions?

Non-crossing partitions are a mathematical concept used to partition a set of objects into disjoint subsets. In non-crossing partitions, the subsets do not intersect or "cross" each other.

Why are non-crossing partitions important?

Non-crossing partitions have many applications in mathematics, particularly in the study of combinatorics and algebraic structures. They are also used in fields such as computer science, physics, and statistics.

How are non-crossing partitions represented?

Non-crossing partitions can be represented in various ways, such as through diagrams, matrices, or mathematical notation. The most common representation is through diagrams, where the subsets are represented by non-intersecting curves or lines.

What are some examples of non-crossing partitions?

Some examples of non-crossing partitions include the partitions of a set of 4 objects into 2 subsets ({{1,2}, {3,4}}) or 3 subsets ({{1,3}, {2,4}, {5}}). Another example is the non-crossing partition of a circle into chords, where the chords do not intersect.

What are the properties of non-crossing partitions?

Non-crossing partitions have several important properties, such as being invariant under certain operations, having a unique minimal element, and being related to other mathematical structures such as Catalan numbers and Dyck paths. They also have applications in the study of Coxeter groups and cluster algebras.