Exploring Non-Flat Surfaces and Euclid's Fifth Postulate

• MHB
  • Thread starter JamieLam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the conversation discusses the fifth postulate of Euclidean geometry and its application to non-flat surfaces such as spheres. The OP is interested in understanding if the postulate holds true for these surfaces and asks for clarification on the concept of parallel lines. The conversation also touches on the definition of straight lines on a sphere and the existence of parallel lines on non-flat surfaces.
JamieLam
Hi. I'm from singapore. I'm now interested in maths. I only studied till secondary school(high school) I wasn't interested in maths then. Now I am. I read maths book written by David Berlinski , John allen paulos and others to try to understand. I do not have mathematician friends so I couldn't ask them. I like to ask about Eculid fifth postulate. As you all know its something like there is a line L and a point P. One can draw only a line through P that is parellel to L. I wonder if the fifth postulate applies to surfaces that are not flat like say a sphere? I think its possible but the books I read suggest otherwise. (Maybe its due to my lack of knowledge in math) Can someone explain to me? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I totally understand the question. Let me elaborate a little, and then maybe ask a few clarifying questions.

What you've stated is technically Playfair's Axiom: in a plane, given a line and a point not on it, at most one line parallel to the given line can be drawn through the point. It is equivalent to Euclid's Fifth Postulate.

You could, no doubt, prove a 3D analogue of Euclid's Fifth Postulate (here I'll state it in a Playfair style): given a plane and a point not on it, at most one plane parallel to the given plane can be drawn through the point.

But now (here I'm guessing at your meaning), could we say the following: given a sphere and a point not on it, at most one non-intersecting sphere can be drawn through the point? That is definitely false in Euclidean geometry, since I could (theoretically) draw lots of spheres of varying radii through the point not on the given sphere. The uniqueness depends on (among other things) the fact that a line or a plane extends infinitely in two (for the line) or many directions (for the plane). So any finite object in Euclidean space will definitely not substitute in the postulate.

But perhaps you meant something else?

JamieLam said:
One can draw only a line through P that is parellel to L. I wonder if the fifth postulate applies to surfaces that are not flat like say a sphere?

Ackbach said:
I'm not sure I totally understand the question.
The OP is asking if there exists a single (suitable definied) straight line $l_2$ passing through a point not on a straigt line $l_1$ such that $l_2$ is parallel to $l_1$. Is it true on non-flat surfaces such as spheres?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The OP is asking if there exists a single (suitable definied) straight line $l_2$ passing through a point not on a straigt line $l_1$ such that $l_2$ is parallel to $l_1$. Is it true on non-flat surfaces such as spheres?

Right.

JamieLam said:
One can draw only a line through P that is parellel to L.
"Only a line" $\mapsto$ "a single line" or "at most one line", depending on what you mean.

JamieLam said:
I wonder if the fifth postulate applies to surfaces that are not flat like say a sphere?
In general not. On a sphere, it is natural to define straight lines to be great circles. Then there are no parallel lines passing through a point not on the given line. (Isn't it strange that such a simple observation did not occur to critics of the non-Euclidean geometry? There are some discoveries in math that are extremely technically complex, and there are others that are simple but require fresh look at things.) There is also a tractricoid, which can be called a pseudosphere. On it, there is an infinite number of parallel lines passing through a point not on the given line.

1. What is Euclid's Fifth Postulate?

Euclid's Fifth Postulate, also known as the parallel postulate, is one of the five axioms in Euclid's geometry. It states that if a line intersects two other lines and the interior angles on the same side of the transversal add up to less than 180 degrees, then the two lines will eventually intersect on that side.

2. Why is Euclid's Fifth Postulate important in exploring non-flat surfaces?

Euclid's Fifth Postulate is important because it helps us understand the concept of parallel lines and how they behave on different surfaces. By exploring non-flat surfaces, we can see how the postulate holds true or is modified, which can lead to new discoveries and insights in geometry.

3. Can Euclid's Fifth Postulate be proven?

No, Euclid's Fifth Postulate cannot be proven using the other axioms in Euclid's geometry. It has been a topic of debate for centuries and has led to the development of different geometries, such as hyperbolic and elliptic geometries, which do not follow the parallel postulate.

4. How does the understanding of non-flat surfaces contribute to our daily lives?

Although it may not seem immediately relevant, understanding non-flat surfaces and Euclid's Fifth Postulate has practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and cartography. It allows for more accurate measurements and calculations on curved surfaces, which is important in creating structures and maps that are functional and efficient.

5. Are there any real-life examples of non-flat surfaces?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of non-flat surfaces. Some common examples include the surface of a sphere, the surface of a cylinder, and the surface of a cone. These surfaces can be found in nature, such as the Earth's surface or the shape of a hill, or man-made objects, such as a soup can or a traffic cone.