Exploring Oscillatory Behavior of Sinusoidal Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding equilibrium points and analyzing the behavior of a sinusoidal function using trigonometric identities. The speaker is having trouble explaining the oscillatory behavior around the first equilibrium point and is attempting to find an expression that satisfies the oscillation conditions. They also mention that the oscillatory behavior occurs at the inflection points and halfway between them. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing confusion about what is oscillating and what initial conditions are being referred to.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

This isn't really part of my homework, my homework was to draw a pretty graph, but I am curious about some behavior.
I was given a picture of a sinusoidal function. I found it was ##2sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t-\frac{\pi}{6}) + 6##. Then I used trig identities to get ##\sqrt{3}sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t) - cos(\frac{\pi}{3}t) +6## and set it equal to ##t## to get ##\sqrt{3}sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t) - cos(\frac{\pi}{3}t) - t =-6##. I then plotted ##\sqrt{3}sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t) - cos(\frac{\pi}{3}t) - t = 0## and ##y = -6## and found the intercepts to get my equilibrium points of 4.392, 7, and 8.

This is where I am having issues. The web diagram's behavior around the first equilibrium is sensitive to initial conditions. Graphically I found that when t = 4, 5, or 6, the diagram will oscillate around the fixed point indefinitely. I'm having trouble explaining why this is.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried starting off by saying the oscillation condition is ##t_n = t_{n+2}## and ##t_{n+1} = t_{n+3}##.

I think that the updating formula is ##t_{n+1} = (1-n)t_n + (1-n)t_n[2sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t - \frac{\pi}{6})+6]##

Then,
##t_{n+1} = (1-n)t_n[7+2sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t - \frac{\pi}{6})] = t_{n+3} = (1-(n+2))t_{n+2}[7+2sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t-\frac{\pi}{6})]##
Division gives:
##\frac{t_n}{t_{n+2}} = \frac{-(1+n)t_{n+2}[7+2sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t - \frac{\pi}{6})]}{(1-n)t_n[7 + 2sin(\frac{\pi}{3}t - \frac{\pi}{6})]}##
But this ends up telling me that 1 = -1, so, I'm not sure what to do from here or if this was the correct way to do things. I need to find some expression that allows the oscillation conditions to be met.

Edit: Upon closer inspection it appears that this oscillatory behavior occurs at the inflection points and half way between the inflection points.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't understand. If you fix t=4, then what is "oscillating"? And what initial conditions are you referring to?

1. What is a sinusoidal function?

A sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that can be represented by a sine or cosine curve. It is characterized by its periodic oscillations or repetitive patterns.

2. How do you explore the oscillatory behavior of sinusoidal functions?

To explore the oscillatory behavior of sinusoidal functions, you can plot the function on a graph and observe its shape, amplitude, and frequency. You can also manipulate the function by changing its parameters to see how it affects the oscillations.

3. What is the period of a sinusoidal function?

The period of a sinusoidal function is the length of one complete cycle or oscillation. It is denoted by the symbol T and is equal to 2π divided by the frequency of the function.

4. How do amplitude and frequency affect the oscillatory behavior of sinusoidal functions?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal function determines the height of the oscillations, while the frequency determines the number of cycles per unit time. A larger amplitude results in taller peaks and deeper troughs, while a higher frequency leads to more frequent oscillations.

5. What are some real-world applications of sinusoidal functions?

Sinusoidal functions have many real-world applications, such as modeling sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and the motion of objects on a spring. They are also useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics for analyzing and predicting periodic phenomena.