Exploring Resonance Square: A Fascinating Physics Experiment | SpikedHumor

In summary, the conversation centers around a video demonstration of resonance involving a vibrating membrane and sand settling in nodal lines. The speaker also mentions the use of Bessel functions and Hermite polynomials in calculating resonance modes and notes that the demonstration is a blend of both.
Orion1

I thought that this would be an interesting video for physics majors:
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/26352/Resonance_Square.html"

I posted it here, because the experiment appears to involve 'wave function'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, that's pretty cool. I've never seen such a demonstration live though (but that's okay, because here I can turn down the volume on my speakers).

IIRC the eigenmodes of such a vibration membrane are Bessel functions. The sand will be thrown away from the vibrating places and settle down in the nodal lines, which you can calculate. So by observing the shapes you can directly compare theory and experiment and see which resonance mode you have hit.

Here is a site which explains a bit about http://www.phy.davidson.edu/StuHome/jimn/Java/modes.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
That was freaking awesome!

Galileo said:
IIRC the eigenmodes of such a vibration membrane are Bessel functions.

Circular symmetry gives Bessel modes, while cartesian symmetry gives Hermitian modes.

The modes in the demonstration are not Bessel functions or Hermite polynomials, but an interesting blend of both. The blending possibly comes about because you have a membrane with cartesian symmetry, yet the driving force (speaker) is rotationally symmetric.

Claude.

1. What is "Exploring Resonance Square"?

"Exploring Resonance Square" is a physics experiment that involves creating a square-shaped frame with thin string or wire attached to each corner. The strings are then plucked or struck, causing vibrations that create intricate patterns.

2. How does the resonance square experiment work?

The resonance square experiment works by utilizing the principles of resonance, which occurs when an object vibrates at its natural frequency. In this case, the strings attached to the square frame are tuned to specific frequencies, causing them to vibrate and produce the unique patterns.

3. What tools are needed for this experiment?

To conduct the resonance square experiment, you will need a square frame made of wood or metal, thin strings or wires, and a tool such as a pick or mallet to pluck or strike the strings. You may also want to have a ruler and tuning fork to help tune the strings to specific frequencies.

4. What are the practical applications of this experiment?

While the resonance square experiment is primarily a fun and fascinating physics demonstration, it also has practical applications in fields such as acoustics and music. By studying the patterns and frequencies produced by the vibrating strings, scientists can gain a better understanding of how sound waves work and how to manipulate them.

5. Can anyone conduct this experiment?

Yes, anyone can conduct the resonance square experiment with the right materials and tools. It is a simple yet engaging experiment that can be done at home, in a classroom, or in a laboratory setting. However, it is important to follow safety precautions and have proper supervision, especially when using tools to pluck or strike the strings.