Exploring Supersymmetry: A Beginner's Guide to the Fundamental Theory

In summary, Shereen is looking for a basic introduction to supersymmetry and has already read Wess and West. Other participants recommend the book "Supersymmetric Gauge Field Theory and String Theory" by D. Bailin, which is designed for early PhD or masters students. However, some suggest looking for different reviews or student theses for a more detailed understanding. Another recommendation is "Theory and Phenomenology of Sparticles" by M.Drees, R. Godbole, and P.Roy. One participant also suggests "Supersymmetry Demystified" as a gentle introduction. The conversation also includes a discussion about typos in academic writing.
shereen1
Dear All
Can anyone suggest me a book as a basic introduction to supersymmetry In fact i have Wess and West but i need other.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shereen,
the best introductory book I have come across is:
Supersymmetric Gauge Field Theory and String Theory (Graduate Student Series in Physics) by D. Bailin, it's designed for early PhD or masters students so it is a proper technical introduction but still accessible.

Likes arivero and shereen1
Is Bailin and Love good for intro? I am not sure... I happened to be introduced to susy from that book, but I didn't really enjoy it... Because it is for either advanced Master students or Phds (with some previous knowledge on the topic), I think Bailin and Love move way too fast and have very compressed information in their book.
I'd recommend either different reviews that go around online or other student master theses (where you can read some things in more detail), or maybe Theory and Phenomenology of Sparticles by M.Drees, R. Godbole and P.Roy.
I am not sure if I understood it better because I read it later in time (when I was more ready for that) or if it's any better for introduction...

Likes shereen1
nrqed said:
May I suggest Supersymmetry Demystified as a gentle introduction.

good luck in keeping track of typos. :DD but it can also be "educational"

ChrisVer said:
good luck in keeping track of typos. :DD but it can also be "educational"
You are right, I withdraw my suggestion. I had to write it from scratch in 6 months and I was sleeping 2-3 hours a night the last few weeks ;-)

1. What is supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes the existence of a symmetry between particles with different properties, such as mass and spin. It suggests that every known particle has a "superpartner" particle with different characteristics. This theory aims to explain certain phenomena that cannot be explained by the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. What is the significance of supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental structure of the universe. It could help resolve some of the unanswered questions in physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the nature of dark matter. It also provides a potential link between particle physics and cosmology.

3. How is supersymmetry tested?

Supersymmetry has not yet been directly observed, so it is currently being tested through experiments at particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Scientists also use mathematical models and simulations to study the predicted behaviors and interactions of supersymmetric particles.

4. Is there any evidence for supersymmetry?

While many physicists believe in the potential of supersymmetry, there is currently no direct experimental evidence to support its existence. However, some indirect evidence, such as the measured values of certain physical constants, suggest that supersymmetry may be necessary to explain these values.

5. What are some potential challenges to the adoption of supersymmetry?

One major challenge to the adoption of supersymmetry is the lack of direct experimental evidence. Another challenge is that the theory requires the existence of many new particles, which have yet to be observed. Additionally, some alternative theories, such as string theory, also propose solutions to the unanswered questions in physics, making it difficult to determine which theory is correct.